The Good 'ol Sidebar [support topic]

Dedicated board for extension releases/support threads

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Forum rules
Please do not create new topics here unless you are an extension author in need of a dedicated releases&support thread!
FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

The Good 'ol Sidebar [support topic]

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2017-09-21, 11:11

The Good 'ol Sidebar
Support Topic

The Good 'ol Sidebar (TGS) is a sidebar control, inspired by Opera's. Click on the left edge of your browser window to open the sidebar and get easy access to all your panels. It lets you quickly switch between sidebar panels, view dialog windows such as downloads, add-ons, and more in the sidebar, or view websites in the sidebar. It includes a slide-out button and a toolbar, all of which can be extensively customized.

This extension is a fork of All-in-One Sidebar, an extension originally made for Mozilla Firefox, which is now discontinued.

Download: Pale Moon Add-ons site or at the repository
Reporting issues/feature requests: Use the issue tracker at GitHub.
Localization: If you would want to contribute/to have TGS available in your language, feel free to create an issue in the issue tracker.

For other questions, feel free to post here.
Last edited by FranklinDM on 2018-09-17, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Update last point

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Re: The Good 'ol Sidebar [support topic]

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2017-09-23, 10:45

v1.0.4 is now up! Multi Panel can now navigate inside the sidebar, context menu actions were fixed and others (see full changelog here).

Pethrow

Unread post by Pethrow » 2017-09-23, 11:34

Thank you for this add-on :thumbup:

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2017-10-01, 08:10

Correction: The version released earlier was v1.0.3, I can't edit already posted posts.
The real v1.0.4 is now up!
Notable changes:
  • The downloads panel now contains the search and clear downloads list button by default. There would be no need to download a separate add-on to get these features. Download counts and auto open/close the downloads sidebar when downloading something are now restored. This also includes highlighting of different download states (i.e. cancelled, etc.) but for the default theme only.
  • Lighweight themes - You will no longer see a cut in half image when using personas. Further configuration of this can be seen in the last section of the hidden settings page of the wiki.
  • Follow up to cookies panel implementation
    1. Optimize cookie panel layout for the sidebar
    2. Allow it to either open in sidebar/dialog
    3. Add it to the options window
  • Restore opening changelog in new tab after updating (i think you'd see one by the time you update to this version).
(See full changelog here).

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2017-10-02, 09:49

I also wanted to note the possible configurations with the hidden settings related to the lightweight themes:
A small note: Feel free to use the MultiPanel or the about:config dialog to change these preferences.

This is how the sidebar panel appears in past versions. Can still be achieved by setting extensions.aios.lw.defaultbg to false and the pref extensions.aios.lw.custombg should have no value or left blank.

As you could see, while using a persona, the header image is cut-off. If the persona does theme the whole browser window, feel free to disable this pref (I wonder when will that happen though?).
How it appears in past versions (including AiOS) and when the lwtheme pref is disabled.
How it appears in past versions (including AiOS) and when the lwtheme pref is disabled.
before.PNG (58.2 KiB) Viewed 5341 times
This is how the sidebar panel looks by default in the current version (v1.0.4), and you can no longer see the cut-off header image, just the background color defined by the persona.
The (current) default configuration as of v1.0.4.
The (current) default configuration as of v1.0.4.
after.PNG (39.53 KiB) Viewed 5341 times
Well, you can also set a custom color/background (Yup. a custom background, could be an image, a gradient, etc.) for it if you don't want the default configuration which simply uses the background color defined by the persona. This can be achieved by setting extensions.aios.lw.defaultbg to false and setting the pref extensions.aios.lw.custombg to the color value/background that you want (css format, i.e url("file://....")).
When using a custom color background
When using a custom color background
customcolor.PNG (42.49 KiB) Viewed 5341 times
And lastly, even if it does look ugly at some times (but it does depend on your perspective ;) ) You can make the header image background simply repeat:
Using the repeat pref.
Using the repeat pref.
repeat.PNG (43.46 KiB) Viewed 5341 times
extensions.aios.lw.defaultbg and extensions.aios.lw.repeat must be set to true for this to work.

This is also documented at the last section of the hidden settings page of the wiki.

Anyways, thank you for all the support and for using this add-on! :D

fifonik
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by fifonik » 2017-10-13, 05:26

Thanks a lot!
Found the add-on today and testing it. Looks like it is used AiOS settings that is good.

P.S. I used to tweak AiOS and make padding for downloaded items smaller. It would be nice if you make them smaller as well of if you add an option to make them smaller.
P.P.S. Could not find 'Donate' button that I'd like to use to say 'thanks' :)

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2017-10-13, 07:00

No problem. :thumbup:

Well, there is already an option to make download items in the downloads list smaller but it currently applies only to the default theme. I think I can make it apply also to other themes as part of the next release. I don't plan placing a donate button, a simple thank you is quite enough :)

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2017-10-13, 07:51

Thank you for pointing out the hidden settings. The sidebar background was white and merged with the body of the sidebar; now it's nicely coloured.
For some reason, the drop-down list of panels is now yellow (seems to be the persona) and doesn't show up well on a pale theme.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-10-13, 17:38

Giraffe wrote:Thank you for pointing out the hidden settings. The sidebar background was white and merged with the body of the sidebar; now it's nicely coloured.
For some reason, the drop-down list of panels is now yellow (seems to be the persona) and doesn't show up well on a pale theme.
You will notice that some persona's have very odd background colors that may not go well with the actual persona.
I have seen this many times when trying out new persona's.

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2017-10-14, 08:02

I tend to go for textured (White Paper; Soft Drawing Paper; 'metallic') or colourful - currently on Lollipop Road. On the present one, the plain white sidebar looked bad.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

fifonik
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by fifonik » 2017-10-16, 23:47

there is already an option to make download items in the downloads list smaller but it currently applies only to the default theme
Thanks.
Found it, however will not use it as I do not like that the icon size of selected item is changing. NVM, someone could find it useful.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2017-12-09, 14:48

TGS v1.0.5 is now up!
Notable changes:
  • Add an option to not intercept panel calls from menu/shortcut
    • This option can be found at the General tab, under Behavior in the options window
    • How this works: Toolbar button -> opens the sidebar, Hotkeys & menu items -> opens the default action (in dialog)
  • Improve Auto Hide functionality (partially)
    • Add an invisible sidebar switch trigger (simply hover over the left/right side of your screen and the sidebar will appear)
      • Automatically opening sidebar when dragging webcontent over the invisible switch will have no effect (at the moment, will be fixed later?)
    • Hide sidebar if mouse cursor is on.. option is now exposed (no longer in advanced)
      • Instead of radio options, it is now a drop-down menu
      • Add don't hide automatically option (means, sidebar will auto show but will not auto hide)
  • Major: Most settings now apply instantly
    • Switching 'open in sidebar' options in panels no longer requires a browser restart
    • Default commands of controlled toolbar buttons are now stored in the targets array
    • Modifying switch width, sidebar+toolbar orientation, and auto hide (through the options window) now applies in all windows
This add-on can be updated via the Add-ons manager, by manually visiting the add-on's page in APO, or via the releases page in the GitHub repository.

(see full changelog here)

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2017-12-10, 07:41

TGS v1.0.5.1 is now up...
Notable change:
  • A small behavior change for invisible sidebar switch trigger
This add-on can be updated via the Add-ons manager, by manually visiting the add-on's page in APO, or via the releases page in the GitHub repository.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2018-01-18, 04:41

FranklinDM:

I current run All In One Sidebar 0.7.20.1-signed on Pale Moon 27.6.2 (32 bit) on a Windows 7 Pro SP! (64 bit computer). It seem to run fine.

If I install The Good 'ol Sidebar over my All In One Sidebar, will all my current settings/colors etc. be saved and incorporated by Good 'ol Sidebar, or will I have to start over changing settings to meet my preferences?

Harry

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2018-01-18, 11:39

Yes, it will work just fine and TGS will pick up your previous settings but make sure to uninstall/disable AiOS first before installing/enabling TGS because there will be a conflict between the two.

In case that something goes haywire (like your settings were gone, etc), please export your settings first in AiOS' options window by clicking the Advanced button at the lower left side and select Export Settings… save it in a place that will be easy to access. This way, you can open up TGS' options window, click Advanced, press Import Settings… and select the exported settings file.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2018-01-19, 05:08

FranklinDM:

On one of my Win 7 Pro SP1 (64 bit)) computers, I disabled All in One Sidebar, and Exported the settings.

I then installed Good 'ol Sidebar. It picked up all except one of my settings automatically, without even needing what I exported.

So far it looks and responds just fine. If it continues so, then I will install it on my other Win 7 Pro SP1 computer.

Harry

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2018-03-14, 14:16

TGS v1.0.6 is now up!
Notable changes:
  • Major: Revise invisible sidebar switch implementation
    • This...
      • uses a similar approach to what OmniSidebar does
      • no longer tied to auto hide/show
      • allows us to have visual feedback on the sidebar switch and style it if users would want to do so
      • doesn't have to listen much on mousemove events on the appcontent plus it's more accurate on the hover area
      • also allows the sidebar to open when dragging something above it even if the sidebar switch is invisible (previously, it would be a bit more tricky to implement)
    • Add an option to only activate when on fullscreen/maximized
  • Minor: Uncombine show & hide delay for AutoHide - Your existing options will be migrated and used for both show & hide
  • Minor: Implement second pane mode for bookmarks and history sidebars
  • Minor: Allow opening the downloads in popup (default browser behavior)
  • Minor: Add option to whether show the sidebar when installing an add-on - I myself find this annoying and decided that there should be a switch for this behavior
  • Minor: Fix up SSR feature of MultiPanel - this now works on most sites even when navigating
  • Minor: Make add-ons page more compact and others
  • Minor: Change default page info hotkey to Ctrl+Shift+E
EDIT: Searching in the Bookmarks/History panel with 2 panes works like this; if you will search for something, it will affect both panes. If you would want to search for only the first pane, add "P1" without the quotes as the first 2 characters of your search query. If you would want to search for only the second pane, add "P2" without the quotes.

(see full changelog here)
Last edited by FranklinDM on 2018-03-14, 14:24, edited 3 times in total.

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2018-03-19, 16:51

Thanks very much for posting the hidden options. I already wondered why TGOS's background had gone grey.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2018-05-26, 05:54

FranklinDM wrote:TGS v1.0.6 is now up!
I have a problem with v1.0.6, that did not exist in 1.0.5.

I run Pale Moon 27.9.2 (32 bit) on a Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) SP1 computer. I also have the add-in 2 Pane Bookmarks 0.6.2013040601.1-signed. This is the last version of 2 Pane Bookmarks that will run on Pale Moon.

After I installed Good ol Sidebar 1.0.6, entering a term in the 'Search' portion of 2 Pane Bookmarks would do nothing. No search would be made. Reverting back to Good ol Sidebar 1.0.5 solved the problem, and the Search function worked as it should.

I tried this on two different Pale Moon installations, and the same problem occurred on both.

Would you take a look and see if you can replicate the problem, and if so, if there is a fix for it?

Thanks.

Harry

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2018-05-26, 08:25

Any chance of a version for Basilisk, please?