The Good 'ol Sidebar [support topic]

Dedicated board for extension releases/support threads

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Forum rules
Please do not create new topics here unless you are an extension author in need of a dedicated releases&support thread!
1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: The Good 'ol Sidebar [support topic]

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2018-05-27, 00:34

Giraffe wrote:Any chance of a version for Basilisk, please?
All-In-one-Sidebar works just fine in Basilisk, and is almost the same as Good 'ol Sidebar. You can get the latest/last version here:
http://firefox.exxile.net/aios/end_of_development.php

Harry

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2018-05-27, 07:56

Thanks for the link - I'll give the latest version a try.
I'm using an older version of AIOS and it seems to be OK.
I've a dim memory of having some trouble with AIOS in Basilisk with the sidebar grabber not showing but it is there now, so possibly TGOS isn't needed.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2018-06-14, 05:37

1210_bex wrote: After I installed Good ol Sidebar 1.0.6, entering a term in the 'Search' portion of 2 Pane Bookmarks would do nothing. No search would be made. Reverting back to Good ol Sidebar 1.0.5 solved the problem, and the Search function worked as it should.
This will be fixed in the next release. In v1.0.6, I've added the 2-pane feature for both History and Bookmarks into TGS itself and wasn't able to add a check for 2 Pane Bookmarks if it is installed because it will conflict with the feature. For more information about this, see this post.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2018-06-14, 17:30

FranklinDM wrote:
1210_bex wrote: After I installed Good ol Sidebar 1.0.6, entering a term in the 'Search' portion of 2 Pane Bookmarks would do nothing. No search would be made. Reverting back to Good ol Sidebar 1.0.5 solved the problem, and the Search function worked as it should.
This will be fixed in the next release. In v1.0.6, I've added the 2-pane feature for both History and Bookmarks into TGS itself and wasn't able to add a check for 2 Pane Bookmarks if it is installed because it will conflict with the feature. For more information about this, see this post.
Let us know when the new version is available.

I had not caught your 1.0.6 statement that you had added the two pane feature. So I opened a portable version of PM 27.9.2, which has the identical addons and themes of my desktop version. On the portable, I disabled 2 Pane Bookmarks, removed Good ol Sidebar 1.5, and installed Good ol Sidebar 1.0.6.

I was able to get the 2-pane feature, but I ran into a couple of problems.
1. Right clicking on an entry in the top pane would not display the dropdown menu. What I got was a very small pane with an up arrow and a down arrow. That was all.
2. When I tried to do a search, BOTH panes showed the search results, rather than just the bottom pane. I thought I saw somewhere in your FAQ or instructions that adding a P2 preceding the search word would search just the bottom pane, but that did not work, and I could never get back to wherever I saw that note about how to conduct the search on just one pane.

So I reverted my portable version back to Good ol Sidebar 1.5 and enabled 2 Pane Bookmarks.

Harry

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2018-08-06, 13:53

TGS v1.0.7 is now up!
  • This release is compatible with Pale Moon 28.
  • Major: Wrap AiOS' functions into a module pattern
  • Major: Update the way we handle fullscreen switching
    • The way this is done is patterned on the way Pale Moon's full screen component handles this event
    • Mark sidebar header toolbar as 'fullscreen toolbar' in order for it to not be hidden when entering fullscreen
    • Hide TGS toolbars & switch when entering DOM Fullscreen (they're unnecessary in that mode)
  • Minor: Don't hide sidebar switch when in fullscreen by default
  • Minor: remove advanced mode (and show them all by default)
  • Minor: Use -moz-box-ordinal-group instead of ugly RTL hack
  • Minor: Save switch/toolbar/sidebar states and restore them after customization
  • Minor: Scrap second pane search for Bookmarks/History
  • Minor: Improve compatibility with 2 Pane Bookmarks
  • Minor: Add option to reject click interactions on Sidebar Switch when it is invisible
  • Minor: Add option to remove/hide sidebar switch on some occasions
This add-on can be updated via the Add-ons manager, by manually visiting the add-on's page in APO, or via the releases page in the GitHub repository.

(see full changelog here)

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2018-08-08, 04:42

FranklinDM wrote:TGS v1.0.7 is now up!
  • This release is compatible with Pale Moon 28.
  • Minor: Improve compatibility with 2 Pane Bookmarks

This add-on can be updated via the Add-ons manager, by manually visiting the add-on's page in APO, or via the releases page in the GitHub repository.
I installed version 1.0.7 on a portable version of PM 28.0.0b5. The problems I had with version 1.0.6 regarding 2 Pane Bookmarks (as noted in my June 14 post) have been fixed. And so far I have not found any problems running it on PM 28.0.0b5.

Thanks for your prompt and thorough updating.

Harry

50addons

Unread post by 50addons » 2018-09-02, 23:21

I have just switched from Firefox/AiOS to PaleMoon 28/TGS.

I have chosen the same configuration, in particular I Show Sidebar on right side. Everything works great.

However, there is one wee difference that drives me nuts :crazy: :
With AiOS, the sidebar opens to the left of the vertical button bar, so the buttons are down the right edge. With TGS, the sidebar opens to the right of the vertical button bar and the buttons are on the inside.

What can I do to transpose the sidebar and the button bar? Can I fix this with Stylem?
Attachments
Firefox/AiOS
Firefox/AiOS
2018-09-02_22-05-35.png (22.77 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
PaleMoon/TGS
PaleMoon/TGS

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2018-09-03, 01:27

Right click the sidebar below the icons and you should find additional placement options (left - right - above - below).
TGS_Toolbar_Position.png

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2018-09-03, 02:15

AiOS positions the toolbar on the right as a side effect of the hack it uses on the way these elements are positioned. This also causes some incompatibilities with other extensions.

TGS on the other hand (as of the latest version) uses another way and doesn't use this hack.

In short: This is intended behavior because TGS honours the left beside sidebar option consistently.

You can adjust the toolbar position be right-clicking on any empty space on the toolbar and selecting Right Beside Sidebar (or any other preferred position).

EDIT: CraigPD has gave instructions already. (That was quick :thumbup: )
Last edited by FranklinDM on 2018-09-03, 02:17, edited 1 time in total.

50addons

Unread post by 50addons » 2018-09-03, 08:21

@FranklinDM, @CraigPD: Great to be presented with a solution first thing in the morning! Considering my extensive use of extensions (see my user name ;) ), I cannot believe how smooth the transition went. So a big thanks to the Add-ons team!
FranklinDM wrote:AiOS positions the toolbar on the right as a side effect of the hack it uses on the way these elements are positioned. This also causes some incompatibilities with other extensions.
That explains why AiOS frequently broke my browser GUI.

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2018-09-03, 08:34

Just changed from AiOS to TGoS and it's functioning well.
There's one point though: the theme that I'm using (Lollipop Road) is no longer down the Sidebar - the bar is white. This happened with this theme unless TMP was installed, so perhaps an issue there. It does look strange with a white bar - anyone else had an issue with a theme?
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2018-09-03, 09:34

If you want the lightweight theme to cover the whole toolbar of TGS, you can set the pref extensions.aios.lw.repeat to true. TGS' toolbar takes the solid color given by the lightweight theme by default (The persona seems to use solid white) but you can configure this behavior. (More info here)

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2018-09-03, 16:09

FranklinDM wrote:If you want the lightweight theme to cover the whole toolbar of TGS, you can set the pref extensions.aios.lw.repeat to true. TGS' toolbar takes the solid color given by the lightweight theme by default (The persona seems to use solid white) but you can configure this behavior. (More info here)
Great! Thank you - it looks a lot better now.

kelendral

Unread post by kelendral » 2018-09-09, 17:01

Thank you for this extension.
As part of the update from Pale Moon 27 to 28 I noticed that AIOS 0.7.25.1.signed was not working as well anymore.
Download would only open in a panel if none had been done during the browser session. As soon as any download occurred the downloads button would switch to the pop-up.

That was when I decided to give The Good'ol Sidebar a try.
I did note one issue and I have been able to work around it for now by using a hybrid version (1.0.6 with multipanel.js, multipanel.xul, and multipanel_config.xul from 1.0.7)

I started with v1.0.7 but ran into an issue. It appears a conflict between this extension at v1.0.7 level and Tab Kit 2 is worsened.
In the screenshot for 1.0.7 please note the lack of a Sidebar grip by the Tabs on the right. Also note the double sidebar grip on The Good'ol Sidebar. This makes it impossible to adjust the size of the tab bar.
1.0.7.gif
Note the difference when using 1.0.6 (only a single sidebar grippy on The Good'ol Sidebar and the other is correctly aligned with the tab bar. This is a configuration that works without issue and allows the tab bar and the sidebar to both be size adjusted.
1.0.6.gif
As such I am still using 1.0.6 with the slight changes of having replaced the 1.0.6 versions of multipanel.js, multipanel.xul, and multipanel_config.xul with the ones from 1.0.7.
Last edited by kelendral on 2018-09-09, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2018-09-10, 08:03

kelendral wrote:I started with v1.0.7 but ran into an issue. It appears a conflict between this extension at v1.0.7 level and Tab Kit 2 is worsened.
Thank you for reporting this issue. It will be fixed in the next version.

Instead of having a hybrid version, you can add the following to your userChrome.css file or create a new user style with Stylem to solve the issue for the meantime:

Code: Select all

/** Tab Kit 2 **/

/* Improperly positioned Tabs Toolbar and Splitter */
#browser[dir] #TabsToolbar {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 17 !important;
}
#browser[dir] #tabkit-splitter {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 16 !important;
}

/* Place the sidebar switch on the correct side */
window[aiosOrient="left"] #browser[dir="reverse"] #aios-toggle-toolbox {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 1;
}
window[aiosOrient="right"] #browser[dir="normal"] #aios-toggle-toolbox {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 15;
}

/** Adjust our positions accordingly **/
/* Orientation: Left Side */
window[aiosOrient="right"] #browser[dir="reverse"] #aios-toggle-toolbox {
}
window[aiosOrient="right"] #browser[dir="reverse"] #sidebar-box {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 3;
}
window[aiosOrient="right"] #browser[dir="reverse"] #aios-toolbox-right {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 4;
}
window[aiosOrient="right"] #browser[dir="reverse"] #aios-toolbox-left {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 2;
}

/* Orientation: Right Side */
window[aiosOrient="left"] #browser[dir="reverse"] #aios-toggle-toolbox {
}
window[aiosOrient="left"] #browser[dir="reverse"] #sidebar-box {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 12;
}
window[aiosOrient="left"] #browser[dir="reverse"] #aios-toolbox-right {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 11;
}
window[aiosOrient="left"] #browser[dir="reverse"] #aios-toolbox-left {
  -moz-box-ordinal-group: 14;
}

/* Browser content */
window[aiosOrient="right"] #browser[dir="reverse"] #appcontent {
}
window[aiosOrient="left"] #browser[dir="reverse"] #appcontent {
}
You can safely remove these fixes once v1.0.8 is released because it already includes these.

kelendral

Unread post by kelendral » 2018-09-10, 13:38

FranklinDM wrote:Thank you for reporting this issue. It will be fixed in the next version.
Thank you for the speedy response, the news of update, and the workaround. Amazing support. Very appreciated.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2018-09-17, 09:01

A test version that supports Basilisk is now available here:
https://github.com/FranklinDM/TGS/releases/tag/v1.0.8a1

Feel free to report any bugs with this test version.

kelendral

Unread post by kelendral » 2018-09-17, 17:23

FranklinDM wrote:A test version that supports Basilisk is now available here:
https://github.com/FranklinDM/TGS/releases/tag/v1.0.8a1

Feel free to report any bugs with this test version.
Basilisk 2018-09-05 64bit Windows 7:
Initial results on Basilisk look good. Works better with Tab Kit than AIOS 7.31.1 on Basilisk.
Page Info work (big bonus).
Slight oddness in the following (I will try to get screenshots later):
1). Icons look vertically stretched (example the circle for Better Privacy looks more oval) - Does not appear to impact all icons (example default bar icons and CTR do not appear to be impacted).
2). The Add-ons panel looks a bit odd. This may be an impact or conflict with one of the other installed addons on my systems and I will investigate when I have time).

Pale Moon 28.0.1 64bit Windows 7:
Works excellent. No more workaround needed to get grippers where needed for Tab Kit.

Thank you for your efforts.

kelendral

Unread post by kelendral » 2018-09-18, 05:25

Just an update. Had an issue with Basilisk when I tried to view a fullscreen video on youtube.
I had configured TGOS almost the same as on my Pale Moon (which was not possible with AOIS {AOIS was stuck on the right with the Tab Bar})
Once I tried viewing a fullscreen video I ended up with Tab Bar visible onscreen on the left side of the screen (even though it started on the right) and no TGOS even after exit of fullscreen.
I had to restart the browser which restored Tab Bar to the right side of the screen but still no TGOS. I had to toggle TGOS off and then on via View > Toolbars.

I've posted 7 images in this album showing the configuration with different settings and the issues experienced:
https://imgur.com/a/zmktdpa

Pale Moon 28 had only the following issue: After exiting Fullscreen TGOS was not visible. I had to use View > Toolbars to toggle it off and then on again for it to be visible.

BTW - TY VM for considering Tab Kit issues. Been hard to get the conflicts between AiOS and Tab Kit resolved and a outside my skill level.
Last edited by kelendral on 2018-09-18, 06:17, edited 4 times in total.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2018-09-20, 07:19

I've looked into this and...
There seems to be a difference in behavior between Tab Kit 2 for Pale Moon and its equivalent for Firefox/Basilisk. The "direction" hack is set the opposite way on Basilisk which seems to be the cause for the jumpy Tab Bar. I'll try to fix it in the next test version.

The tab bar seems to intentionally stay when on DOM Fullscreen even if I have TGS/AiOS disabled (I think it has to be fixed/be made an option in TabKit2's side).
This style can fix that:

Code: Select all

window[inDOMFullscreen] #browser > #TabsToolbar,
window[inDOMFullscreen] #browser > #tabkit-splitter {
  visibility: collapse;
}
The missing toolbar seems to be an issue that has been carried over from the old installation of AiOS - I've seen tons of similar reports in AiOS' repo but I haven't been able to reproduce it myself. A suggested fix was to remove the entries of AiOS from xulstore.json (This will in turn reset toolbar customization in the AiOS/TGS toolbar).