Some toolbar buttons disappear between sessions

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

[PCMartin]

Some toolbar buttons disappear between sessions

Unread post by [PCMartin] » 2017-09-19, 20:59

• Pale Moon 27.4.2 (64-bit) on Windows 7 SP1
  • Pale Moon 27.4.2 (64-bit) on Linux Mint 18.x Cinnamon VirtualBox guests
  • Compact Moon theme in all installs
  • Near-identical profiles for all installs (ported between Windows and Linux with some path mods)
I run a lot of extensions and have buttons for many of them placed on the Menu Bar (28 to the right of the Help Menu) and on the Navigation Bar (2 to the left of the Address Bar and 9 between the Address Bar and the Search Bar).

With most of them, I have no problem -- they stay where I put them when I exit Pale Moon and start it again (and when I restart using the Restart Browser extension).

I've run into three buttons so far that don't stay put -- they get removed, and every time I start or restart Pale Moon, I have to "Customize" my toolbars and drag the buttons out of the "available buttons window" to their proper spots. The disappearing buttons are for:
  • Open With Google Chrome 49.0
  • Open With Internet Explorer 49.0
  • Reader 55.0
I'm pretty sure I've noticed the same behavior in my Linux Mint virtual machines as I have in Windows.

Unfortunately, I'm not a coder and can't even venture a guess as to what might be going on. By way of background, I'm pretty sure I've run into minor button stability issues in previous versions of Pale Moon. Specifically, I don't think I was able to "permanently" put the old Restartless Restart button on the Menu Bar to the left of the File Menu. (After a restart, I seem to recall that the button always got moved to some other location on the Menu Bar. If I put it to the right of the Help Menu, however, I think it stayed put.) Also, I have a couple of extensions (Xmarks and NoSquint) that seem to be permanently anchored to the bottom Status Bar and can't be dragged anywhere else, period.

At any rate, I'm posting this in case anyone can think of a likely explanation and maybe even a potential fix for toolbar buttons that disappear between browser sessions.