uBlock Origin Updater

General discussion, compatibility and contributed extensions.

Moderators: Lootyhoof, FranklinDM

distantpluto
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 49
Joined: 2015-12-17, 18:28
Location: UK

Re: uBlock Origin Updater

Post by distantpluto » 2017-09-16, 10:13

Many thanks JustOff. I didn't even know I could install uBlock Origin in Thunderbird until this thread - sweet :thumbup:

User avatar
gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back
Posts: 883
Joined: 2016-05-15, 05:00
Location: humid upstate NY

Re: uBlock Origin Updater

Post by gracious1 » 2017-09-18, 09:28

JustOff wrote:
  • Option to update to beta/RC versions
  • Support SeaMonkey& Firefox (unsigned, for ESR etc)
  • Serve own updates using GitHub (for SeaMonkey & Firefox)
I tried installing this in SeaMonkey 2.48 (in Ubuntu 14.04), and I got an error message that it was not compatible. Looking at the install.rdf, I did not see the code for SeaMonkey or Firefox, just Pale Moon.

UPDATE: The file I downloaded from the Pale Moon Add-ons Site only had PM support. When I went to github and downloaded the archive there, the install.rdf had both SeaMonkey & Fx support in addition to PM. I didn't expect there to be a difference, so I didn't check until I thought of it just now.

BTW, will you be adding this to the AMO for SeaMonkey & Thunderbird?
20 July 1969 🌗 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

User avatar
JustOff
Localization Coordinator
Localization Coordinator
Posts: 2010
Joined: 2015-09-03, 19:47
Location: UA
Contact:

Re: uBlock Origin Updater

Post by JustOff » 2017-09-18, 11:08

gracious1 wrote:The file I downloaded from the Pale Moon Add-ons Site only had PM support. When I went to github and downloaded the archive there, the install.rdf had both SeaMonkey & Fx support in addition to PM. I didn't expect there to be a difference, so I didn't check until I thought of it just now.
There is a special note about this on APO.
BTW, will you be adding this to the AMO for SeaMonkey & Thunderbird?
No, I don't have such plans.
Here are the add-ons I made in a spare time. That was fun!

User avatar
gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back
Posts: 883
Joined: 2016-05-15, 05:00
Location: humid upstate NY

Re: uBlock Origin Updater

Post by gracious1 » 2017-09-18, 20:18

JustOff wrote:There is a special note about this on APO.
Yes, now I see where it points you to GitHub. But why is there a difference in the first place? :?:
20 July 1969 🌗 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

User avatar
JustOff
Localization Coordinator
Localization Coordinator
Posts: 2010
Joined: 2015-09-03, 19:47
Location: UA
Contact:

Re: uBlock Origin Updater

Post by JustOff » 2017-09-18, 20:38

In short: this is because APO can serve add-ons update only for Pale Moon.
Here are the add-ons I made in a spare time. That was fun!

dark_moon

Re: uBlock Origin Updater

Post by dark_moon » 2017-10-08, 14:01

Updater doesnt detect latest uBlock release on Github: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/tag/1.14.12

User avatar
Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior
Posts: 1507
Joined: 2015-07-23, 16:09
Location: Norway

Re: uBlock Origin Updater

Post by Tomaso » 2017-10-08, 14:19

dark_moon wrote:Updater doesnt detect latest uBlock release on Github: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/tag/1.14.12
Probably because v1.14.12 is labeled "Pre-release".

The "Latest release" version is still v1.14.10:
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/latest/

User avatar
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 3768
Joined: 2015-10-06, 16:59
Location: Los Angeles CA USA

Re: uBlock Origin Updater

Post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-08, 15:42

I used the "Check for Updates" in the PM add-ons page and uBock Origin (as well as other add-ons) updated successfully just using this method.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

User avatar
Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior
Posts: 1507
Joined: 2015-07-23, 16:09
Location: Norway

Re: uBlock Origin Updater

Post by Tomaso » 2017-10-08, 16:19

The label for v1.14.12 was just changed to "Latest release", so perhaps the updater will work now?

User avatar
Nigaikaze
Forum staff
Forum staff
Posts: 1146
Joined: 2014-02-02, 22:15
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Re: uBlock Origin Updater

Post by Nigaikaze » 2017-10-08, 16:26

Tomaso wrote:The label for v1.14.12 was just changed to "Latest release", so perhaps the updater will work now?
Yep, just worked for me. Did a "Check for Updates" just now and it updated 1.14.10 to 1.14.12.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

User avatar
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner
Posts: 2256
Joined: 2012-06-28, 01:20

Re: uBlock Origin Updater

Post by ron_1 » 2017-10-08, 16:59

I downloaded v1.14.12 when it was "pre-release." I wonder if there's any difference between the "pre-release" and latest release? I'm guessing not since the pre-release v1.14.12 is no longer listed.

User avatar
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 3768
Joined: 2015-10-06, 16:59
Location: Los Angeles CA USA

Re: uBlock Origin Updater

Post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-08, 17:09

Nigaikaze wrote:
Tomaso wrote:The label for v1.14.12 was just changed to "Latest release", so perhaps the updater will work now?
Yep, just worked for me. Did a "Check for Updates" just now and it updated 1.14.10 to 1.14.12.
That's odd, I had just recently (a couple of days ago) updated to v1.14.10 using the Add-on page "Check for updates" which worked that time, but now that I'm aware of v1.14.12 as posted here in this topic, I tried again just now to do the same "Check for Updates" and I do not get an update is available notification for v1.14.12. :?
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

User avatar
JustOff
Localization Coordinator
Localization Coordinator
Posts: 2010
Joined: 2015-09-03, 19:47
Location: UA
Contact:

Re: uBlock Origin Updater

Post by JustOff » 2017-10-08, 17:47

There is nothing strange here, 1.14.12 was initially published as a pre-release, then changed to release and will be picked up by uB0 Updater at the next regular (once a day) or manual check.
Here are the add-ons I made in a spare time. That was fun!

User avatar
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 3768
Joined: 2015-10-06, 16:59
Location: Los Angeles CA USA

Re: uBlock Origin Updater

Post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-08, 18:34

JustOff wrote:There is nothing strange here, 1.14.12 was initially published as a pre-release, then changed to release and will be picked up by uB0 Updater at the next regular (once a day) or manual check.
Sorry for the confusion, but I did a "manual check" in the PM Add-ons page (top-right of page) as I did last time to get previous update and as others have done recently to get current update and in my case the "View available updates" does not display uBlock Origin as having an update available (for v1.14.12).... Sorry as well if I'm using improper nomenclature...
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

User avatar
JustOff
Localization Coordinator
Localization Coordinator
Posts: 2010
Joined: 2015-09-03, 19:47
Location: UA
Contact:

Re: uBlock Origin Updater

Post by JustOff » 2017-10-08, 19:05

Pale Moon Rising wrote:I did a "manual check" in the PM Add-ons page (top-right of page) as I did last time to get previous update and as others have done recently to get current update and in my case the "View available updates" does not display uBlock Origin as having an update available (for v1.14.12)
Well, try to set extensions.logging.enabled=true in about:config, do manual update again and check the browser console for the line that contains uBlock0@raymondhill.net. There should be: "addons.update-checker DEBUG Found an update entry for uBlock0@raymondhill.net version 1.14.12".
Here are the add-ons I made in a spare time. That was fun!

User avatar
paulri
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 131
Joined: 2016-12-02, 04:46

Re: uBlock Origin Updater

Post by paulri » 2017-10-08, 21:01

I got updated to v. .12 today, although extensions.logging.enabled is set to false.
Paul

If you have found a solution to your problem, please click on the check mark icon of the post that answers your question, so as to alert others who have the same problem.

User avatar
JustOff
Localization Coordinator
Localization Coordinator
Posts: 2010
Joined: 2015-09-03, 19:47
Location: UA
Contact:

Re: uBlock Origin Updater

Post by JustOff » 2017-10-08, 21:26

paulri wrote:I got updated to v. .12 today, although extensions.logging.enabled is set to false.
My previous message had a very specific addressee. No one should start debugging if everything works properly 8-)
Here are the add-ons I made in a spare time. That was fun!

User avatar
paulri
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 131
Joined: 2016-12-02, 04:46

Re: uBlock Origin Updater

Post by paulri » 2017-10-08, 21:39

Fair enough, just letting folks know that the update to v. x.12 was working properly.
Paul

If you have found a solution to your problem, please click on the check mark icon of the post that answers your question, so as to alert others who have the same problem.

User avatar
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 3768
Joined: 2015-10-06, 16:59
Location: Los Angeles CA USA

Re: uBlock Origin Updater

Post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-10-09, 14:32

JustOff wrote:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:I did a "manual check" in the PM Add-ons page (top-right of page) as I did last time to get previous update and as others have done recently to get current update and in my case the "View available updates" does not display uBlock Origin as having an update available (for v1.14.12)
Well, try to set extensions.logging.enabled=true in about:config, do manual update again and check the browser console for the line that contains uBlock0@raymondhill.net. There should be: "addons.update-checker DEBUG Found an update entry for uBlock0@raymondhill.net version 1.14.12".
What I get in the browser console is the following:
1507558909276 addons.update-checker DEBUG Requesting https://addons.palemoon.org/integration ... ode=normal
1507558910616 addons.update-checker DEBUG Found an update entry for uBlock0@raymondhill.net version 1.13.8
Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense since I already have uBo v1.14.10 and my goal is to update to v1.14.12 of course... And what I mean by what is "odd" is that I was able to update successfully from an older uBo version to v1.14.10 just a couple of days ago without any problem doing the same thing I'm doing now (clicking on "check for updates") before (without) needing to flip the pref extensions.logging.enabled to true.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

User avatar
JustOff
Localization Coordinator
Localization Coordinator
Posts: 2010
Joined: 2015-09-03, 19:47
Location: UA
Contact:

Re: uBlock Origin Updater

Post by JustOff » 2017-10-09, 14:40

Pale Moon Rising wrote:DEBUG Found an update entry for uBlock0@raymondhill.net version 1.13.8
I'm sorry, but could you please verify that uB0 Updater isn't disabled?
Here are the add-ons I made in a spare time. That was fun!

Locked