Firefox seems to be forcing addon upgrades

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

galaxysurfer
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Firefox seems to be forcing addon upgrades

Unread post by galaxysurfer » 2017-08-23, 17:33

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-add-technology-modernizing
Any thoughts on that & if or how it will affect palemoon? I know they are no longer the same, but we still utilize addons from firefox. Is it forcing us to develop our own exclusive set of addons? I know that is already in the works to a degree.

galaxysurfer
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: Firefox seems to be forcing addon upgrades

Unread post by galaxysurfer » 2017-08-23, 17:38

I know for me there a few "legacy" addons I don't want to lose. Most often these are addons abandoned by the developer because they dont want to adhere to Firefox's constant change & update culture.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Firefox seems to be forcing addon upgrades

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-23, 19:31

They can call it "modernizing", I call it "removal of powerful extension architecture".

Yes they are forcing extension devs to make complete rewrites of their extension if they want them to work on Firefox 57 and later -- if it is at all possible to begin with (WebExtensions is extremely limited and offers no low-level APIs). This is the reason why many extensions on addons.mozilla.org now have some notification from devs that they are stopping their support and development for Firefox.

It will not affect Pale Moon. We are not Firefox, and even looking at long-term plans we will not be dropping what Mozilla has labeled "legacy" or "deprecated" or "obsolete" in this respect.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite