Possible FirePHP replacement / ChromeLogger Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

digitalaudiorock
Moonbather
Moonbather

Possible FirePHP replacement / ChromeLogger

Unread post by digitalaudiorock » 2017-08-16, 14:30

New forum member here...just recently started using Pale Moon. Loving how it's working so far! Many thanks to everyone involved!

For web development stuff in FF I'd just recently moved from using the defunct FirePHP to using ChromePhp, which is supported directly in the web console of FF (in versions >= 50 I think) with a Server tab in the console.

Is there currently any similar functionality available for Pale Moon via any extension etc, or any plans to add something similar? For me this could turn into my only reason for not uninstalling FF.

Thanks!
Tom

digitalaudiorock
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Possible FirePHP replacement / ChromeLogger

Unread post by digitalaudiorock » 2018-07-22, 19:32

Just revisiting this. I see that for Firefox they've handled this in what appears to be a not so complex manner. Rather than even having a server tab that can be toggled, there's now an extension which, when enabled, simply sends all ChromeLogger header data to the console. Unfortunately of course it uses the WebExtensions framework:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... omelogger/

The data is just base64 encoded JSON that gets returned in the X-ChromeLogger-Data header as documented here:

https://craig.is/writing/chrome-logger/techspecs

It doesn't seem like that would be too nightmarish I'd think. I've never coded an extension actually but I'd love to help with this. I'm not sure these days where the best resources are around this, given the FF switch to all WebExtensions.

Tom

digitalaudiorock
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Possible FirePHP replacement / ChromeLogger

Unread post by digitalaudiorock » 2019-02-02, 00:07

Just replying to this because I literally just noticed that palemoon now has a Server tab in the console that supports the ChromeLogger perfectly. I'm not even sure when this was added. Thank you!

A side note / rant on this functionality in FF: The different ways that FF screwed with me around this one over the years was so egregious that it started looking like intentional sabotage...and naturally, every time this happened it hit me in the midst of an emergency I needed to debug. Here's what I recall:

First they changed the UI by default so the server side logging disappeared, requiring an about:config change:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1177646

The next time I needed it, even that didn't work. This time it turned out they removed it altogether and it was replaced by a ChromeLogger plugin. Even then I couldn't get it to work and finally figured out that, in order to get messages from a page in an iframe, you needed to select that iframe in the console Network tab.

The next time after that that I needed it, it refused to work in an iframe even when selected...and would only work if I literally opened the page in a tab outside of the iframe. I mean ffs...you can't make this stuff up! Tell me that isn't textbook FF BS.

That was when I discovered it in palemoon no has this and it just plain works. Just many more reminders of why I dropped that POS that is FF. Again...thank you!

Tom