"Close tabs to the left" extension Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

SemiKebab

"Close tabs to the left" extension

Unread post by SemiKebab » 2017-08-15, 08:29

Hello,

I can't install the Close tabs to the left extension, it's marked as incompatible. I also tried with the Moon Tester Tool extension, still without success. Maybe the extension is really incompatible?

Missing this functionality is one of the very few things that blocks me from switching from Firefox to Pale Moon. I think this feature could be useful to other people as well.

Any help to get it running would be greatly appreciated :)

AndTheWolf
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: "Close tabs to the left" extension

Unread post by AndTheWolf » 2017-08-15, 18:44

You could try Tab Utilities Phoenix 2.0.0, which includes a "Close Left Tabs" function.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-08-16, 02:32

You could also try RemoveTabs 0.5.3.1-signed.1-signed. Install with Moon Tester Tool.

RemoveTabs has both "close tabs to the right" and "close tabs to the left" functions.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2017-08-16, 07:25

There's Tab Mix Plus that has this and many other choices for tabs and their context menus:
https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/tab-mix-plus/
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

SemiKebab

Unread post by SemiKebab » 2017-08-16, 07:31

RemoveTabs is a bit outdated, part of its features are now native.

Tab Utilities Phoenix seems too heavy to my taste. I'm only interested in adding the "close tabs to the left" functionality, and I'm considering switching to Pale Moon to remove bloat, not to add :)

So, the only remaining solution would be to fork Close tabs to the left and make it compatible with Pale Moon?
It would be very helpful if someone could point out what blocks compatibility even when Moon Tester Tool is used.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-08-17, 23:02

SemiKebab wrote:RemoveTabs is a bit outdated, part of its features are now native. …

So, the only remaining solution would be to fork Close tabs to the left and make it compatible with Pale Moon?
It would be very helpful if someone could point out what blocks compatibility even when Moon Tester Tool is used.
Yes, you are right; I hope someone forks this, too. It is not clear to me why it won't install, because it doesn't appear to be a JetPack extension.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2017-08-18, 00:09

I have Close tabs to the left 1.2.1-signed.1-signed installed and working. You will need to change the minimum and maximum version numbers in the install.rdf file.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

SemiKebab

Unread post by SemiKebab » 2017-08-18, 11:38

Ah ah,

Code: Select all

<em:minVersion>30.0</em:minVersion>
<em:maxVersion>30.*</em:maxVersion>
No wonder it doesn't work...

So this leads me to these questions:
  • What would be the best values for this install.rdf? (values for Firefox, and shall we add values for Pale Moon)
  • How can we make the changes available upstream for everyone? Not sure the author could still be reached. Could we ask folks at addons.mozilla.org to update the addon, or would we really have to make a fork (last resort solution)?

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2017-08-18, 12:36

55.*

Just change the values for FF. No need to add PM.
The author would probably not change this and Mozilla can't change the devs addon.

Yes you would have to make a fork.

Bill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

SemiKebab

Unread post by SemiKebab » 2017-08-19, 16:43

I could make a fork on addons.mozilla.org or addons.palemoon.org, but it would be very hesitantly done, and I wouldn't be able to support it. In other words, it would be born dead.

Thus, I will install the extension through a local xpi, modified as explained above, and I'm leaving the gate open it anyone is willing to properly fork it ;)

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-08-20, 01:27

billmcct wrote:I have Close tabs to the left 1.2.1-signed.1-signed installed and working. You will need to change the minimum and maximum version numbers in the install.rdf file.
You did that manually? Moon Tester Tool should have modified the install.rdf automatically, if I understand how that extension works, though it would have added PM support rather than changing the FF version. (I see JustOff has released a new version, so maybe he has fixed whatever was preventing it from modifying Close Tabs to the Left properly?)

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2017-08-20, 02:33

gracious1 wrote:
billmcct wrote:I have Close tabs to the left 1.2.1-signed.1-signed installed and working. You will need to change the minimum and maximum version numbers in the install.rdf file.
You did that manually? Moon Tester Tool should have modified the install.rdf automatically, if I understand how that extension works, though it would have added PM support rather than changing the FF version. (I see JustOff has released a new version, so maybe he has fixed whatever was preventing it from modifying Close Tabs to the Left properly?)
Yes I did it manually.
Tommy Lasorda

SemiKebab

Unread post by SemiKebab » 2017-08-20, 11:09

I just tried with Moon Tester Tool 1.0.6, it still refuses to install it. The only working solution is to manually edit the install.rdf.

The issue about the Tester Tool has been reported at GitHub.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-08-20, 12:39

SemiKebab wrote:I just tried with Moon Tester Tool 1.0.6, it still refuses to install it.
This issue was resolved in Moon Tester Tool 1.1.0.

SemiKebab

Unread post by SemiKebab » 2017-09-07, 15:50

Also, on Pale Moon the extension sometimes doesn't work: the tabs are not closed, nothing happens. It doesn't always happen, but once it happens, it is everytime.

I have the following error in the browser console:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIStringBundle.GetStringFromName] XStringBundle:21:0

ambivalence

Unread post by ambivalence » 2017-09-08, 07:06

It seems to me this should be the part of PaleMoon's native functionality. However, thanks for the thread – I've needed this.

By the way, what about «Multiple Tabs Handler»? There's a mention, that we should use 0.7.2014050101.1, but I think it doesn't work anymore, right?

upd: checked «Close tabs to the left». there's a button, but it doesn't work.