Looking for a Pale Moon addon similar to New Tab Tools Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Roark

Looking for a Pale Moon addon similar to New Tab Tools

Unread post by Roark » 2017-08-14, 00:23

Hello there. I am looking for an addon that adds the functionality to Pale Moon that the New Tab Tools addon provides to Firefox. New Tab Tools can be found here - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... tab-tools/

I am switching over from Waterfox to Pale Moon. I am extremely pleased with Pale Moon. I was able to get all of my Waterfox addons working with Pale Moon. In most cases the actual Firefox addon just worked with Pale Moon, in all other cases I was able to find an identical addon made specifically for Pale Moon. The only addon I have not successfully transferred over is New Tab Tools. I use the New Tab page as quick access to my most frequently used sites. I find it more convenient and faster to use than an actual bookmark, although the function is the same. Pale Moon's new tab page has tiles for quick access. Those tiles represent the last sites I've visted. New Tab Tools makes those tiles permanent, and it also allows you to do a great deal of customization of that New Tab page including changing the number and size and image of the tiles.

Is there a Pale Moon addon that functions similarly to New Tab Tools? I thank you for your time and courtesy.

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Looking for a Pale Moon addon similar to New Tab Tools

Unread post by Giraffe » 2017-08-14, 06:45

Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2017-08-14, 11:27

Roark: just found a way to download again from AMO. Downloaded the latest (new_tab_tools-81-fx.xpi) and hacked the "install.rdf" file. It installed on my PM however I don't know if it works correctly. Try the attached file and see if it works.

Bill

Moderator note: Please do NOT post hacked extensions on the forum. Attachment has been removed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2017-08-14, 23:36

Roark wrote:I use the New Tab page as quick access to my most frequently used sites. I find it more convenient and faster to use than an actual bookmark, although the function is the same. Pale Moon's new tab page has tiles for quick access. Those tiles represent the last sites I've visted. New Tab Tools makes those tiles permanent, and it also allows you to do a great deal of customization of that New Tab page including changing the number and size and image of the tiles.
The "New Tab Tools" extension modifies the Waterfox/Firefox internal new tab page ("about:newtab"), and appears to be unique with no substitute add-on available. You also can continue to use this "about:newtab" page in Pale Moon, but without New Tab Tools, by entering about:newtab as the URL in the address bar. Or, select "The Quickdial page" from the "Tabs" pane in Pale Moon Options. Older versions of the "New Tab Tools" extension once worked in Pale Moon. These older versions may no longer work in PM27, without major issues, and are not recommended. But you may want to try them anyway (New Tab Tools version 24.1 or prior).

The Waterfox/Firefox new tab page (and Pale Moon Quickdial page) are designed primarily to list a combination of most frequently visited and recently visted sites (frecency?). Individual websites can also be moved and pinned, so they always appear at the top of the dial grid. If all or most of your dial grid consist of pinned dials, you probably should not be using "about:newtab" (and New Tab Tools extension), at all, to form your new tab page, speeddial or quickdial page. Instead, consider using a well-designed speeddial extension, of which there are several. My recommendation is using JustOff's Speed Start extension. This add-on is compatible with Firefox, Waterfox, SeaMonkey, and Pale Moon. So, you first could configure Speed Start on your Waterfox browser (using the same dials and order as with New Tab Tools). Then export the Speed Start configuration to file. Then import this configuration to Speed Start in Pale Moon (your speeddial in Pale Moon will now look the same as your speeddial in Waterfox). Speed Start also keeps its dials in bookmarks. So, if you sync your bookmarks for your devices, the Speed Start speeddial will also be in sync for these devices..
New Tab Tools makes those tiles permanent
This feature is built in to the Quickdial page, and not a feature added by "New Tab Tools". Just drag the dial you want permanent, if necessary, to your preferred location on the Quickdial page. Also if necessary, then use the pin icon, at the upper-left of the dial, to pin or unpin the dial. You can also drag any bookmarks from the Bookmarks Toolbar, to your preferred location on the Quickdial page. Note, be sure to rename the bookmark, to what you want it to be on the dial, before dragging. If the bookmark doesn't exists, you can create by dragging a URL from the address bar to the Bookmarks Toolbar, rename, then drag the new bookmark to the Quickdial page.

In Pale Moon, pinned dials are stored in the option "browser.newtabpage.pinned" in about:config. Pinned dials in Firefox/Waterfox may also be stored in this same option. If so, find "browser.newtabpage.pinned" in Waterfox's about:config. Right-click the option in Waterfox, then select "Copy Value" from the right-click context menu. Then, find "browser.newtabpage.pinned" in Pale-Moon's about:config. Right-click the option in Pale Moon, then select "Modify" from the right-click context menu. Right-click the value "browser.newtabpage.pinned" in Pale Moon, and select "Paste" from the right-click context menu. Your pinned dials in Pale Moon now should be the same as your pinned dials in Firefox/Waterfox.

Note that prior values of "browser.newtabpage.pinned", once modifed or corrupted, cannot be recovered or restored. Similarly, prior values of the option "lightweightThemes.usedThemes", once modifed or corrupted, cannot be recovered or restored. Thus, these options should be backed up, periodically, to one or more text files, to prevent loss of this data.
including changing the number and size and image of the tiles.
Change the number of the Quickdial page columns and rows in about:config (the option "browser.newtabpage.columns" for columns, and the option "browser.newtabpage.rows" for rows). In Pale-Moon's Quickdial page, the size of the thumbnail dials automatically adjusts to the size of the page, and the number of columns and rows. No extension is needed to do so in Pale Moon, but apparently only in Firefox or Waterfox.

Changing the dial image to a custom image has been problematic, with or without New Tab Tools. I don't know if this has been fixed or not, in the latest version of New Tab Tools you use in Waterfox. So to apply custom images to grid dials, I use userscript in the userContent.css file. You can also use the Stylish extension. I also use userContent.css to add a solid-color background to the Quickdial page. Following is an example of this userscript:

Code: Select all

@-moz-document url("about:newtab") {

#newtab-scrollbox{background-color:#3C7650 !important;}

/* [href*="http://"] .newtab-thumbnail, 
	[href*="https://"] .newtab-thumbnail { 
    background: rgba(0,0,0,.05)
    url("file:///C:/Local/Logo/no-image.png")
    center center no-repeat !important; background-size: 100% !important;} */

[href*="tvguide.com"] .newtab-thumbnail { 
    url("file:///C:/Local/Logo/tvguide.png")
    center center no-repeat !important; background-size: 100% !important;}

[href*="zap2it.com"] .newtab-thumbnail { 
    url("file:///C:/Local/Logo/zap2it.png")

[href*="filehippo.com"] .newtab-thumbnail { 
    url("file:///C:/Local/Logo/filehippo.png")

[href*="filehorse"] .newtab-thumbnail { 
    url("file:///C:/Local/Logo/filehorse.jpeg")

[href*="mozilla.org"] .newtab-thumbnail { 
    url("file:///C:/Local/Logo/firefox.jpeg")

[href*="google.com"] .newtab-thumbnail { 
    url("file:///C:/Local/Logo/google-logo.jpg")

[href*="https://mail.google.com/"] .newtab-thumbnail { 
    url("file:///C:/Local/Logo/gmail.png")

[href*="google.com/maps"] .newtab-thumbnail { 
    url("file:///C:/Local/Logo/googlemaps.png")

[href*="google.com/finance"] .newtab-thumbnail { 
    url("file:///C:/Local/Logo/googlefinance.png")

[href*="palemoon.org"] .newtab-thumbnail { 
    url("file:///C:/Local/Logo/palemoon3.jpeg")

[href*="c-span.org"] .newtab-thumbnail, 
	[href*="cspan.org"] .newtab-thumbnail { 
    url("file:///C:/Local/Logo/cspan.jpg")
} 

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

New Tab Tools Works in PM27 (if installed with MTT)

Unread post by riiis » 2017-08-15, 17:52

riiis wrote:Older versions of the "New Tab Tools" extension once worked in Pale Moon. These older versions may no longer work in PM27, without major issues, and are not recommended.
The older versions of the "New Tab Tools" extension, which once worked in Pale Moon, definately no longer work in Pale Moon 27 (because the PM27 Quickdial page is no longer written in XUL). But several newer versions of New Tab Tools, when installed with the "Moon Tester Tool" extension, now work in Pale Moon 27. (I tested New Tab Tools versions 44 thru 47 in Pale Moon 27. No significant issues were noted.)

New Tab Tools can be installed in Pale Moon 27, as follows:
First, install the Moon Tester Tool version 1.0.5 from APMO. This extension will be needed to install New Tab Tools version 47 in Pale Moon 27.
Second, Mozilla now requires Pale Moon to be within the extension's min-version to max-version range, prior to allowing the download. To be able to download New Tab Tools version 47, using Pale Moon, you first might have to modify the option "general.useragent.override.addons.mozilla.org" in the Pale Moon "about:config" file. That is, find the option "general.useragent.override.addons.mozilla.org" in Pale-Moon's about:config file. Right-click this option, and select "Modify" from the context menu. Change the value of this option:
From its default value:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:27.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.9 (Pale Moon)
To a compatible new value, say:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:27.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/39.0 (Pale Moon)
After completing your downloads from AMO, consider resetting "general.useragent.override.addons.mozilla.org", in "about:config", back to the Pale Moon default.
Third, download New Tab Tools version 47 to your hard drive from AMO.
Fourth, using the "Moon Tester Tool" extension [note, IMPORTANT to use this tool to install], install the downloaded "New Tab Tools version 47" xpi file to Pale Moon.

Note that the userscript example, in my previous post, is compatible and can be used in combination with New Tab Tools version 47. And, compared to New Tab Tools, I still prefer the greater functionality and convenience of the several available speeddial extensions.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2017-08-16, 23:03

Roark wrote:Is there a Pale Moon addon that functions similarly to New Tab Tools?
Try Quickdial Tool

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: New Tab Tools Works in PM27 (if installed with MTT)

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-08-17, 02:04

riiis wrote:Second, Mozilla now requires Pale Moon to be within the extension's min-version to max-version range, prior to allowing the download. To be able to download New Tab Tools version 47, using Pale Moon, you first might have to modify the option "general.useragent.override.addons.mozilla.org" in the Pale Moon "about:config" file. That is, find the option "general.useragent.override.addons.mozilla.org" in Pale-Moon's about:config file. Right-click this option, and select "Modify" from the context menu. …
If you use NoScript or YesScript or JS Switch or a similar tool, you can simply deactivate javascript at AMO. Then you will be able to right-click the green button and save the XPI file to disk.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀