Can someone recommend me a Youtube Video/Audio Downloader?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

bushwhacker2k

Can someone recommend me a Youtube Video/Audio Downloader?

Unread post by bushwhacker2k » 2017-07-21, 02:01

I just moved over from Firefox and the browser won't let me download the add-on I used previously.

I tried Pale Moon's recommended add-on for it (Complete Youtube Saver) and FFmpeg files are refusing to work for me, which prevents me from downloading audio files.

If someone could recommend an alternative for me that works in Pale Moon that'd be swell. Thanks.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Can someone recommend me a Youtube Video/Audio Downloader?

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-07-21, 07:52

One alternative is Download YouTube Videos as MP4. There is also a userscript version, found here or here.
bushwhacker2k wrote:I tried Pale Moon's recommended add-on for it (Complete Youtube Saver) and FFmpeg files are refusing to work for me, which prevents me from downloading audio files.
I use Complete YouTube Saver and have not had problems using it with ffmpeg. What specifically happens when it "refuses to work"?

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-07-21, 08:33

Welcome to the forum!

I can recommend https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl - online GUI for it: https://alltubedownload.net/

bushwhacker2k

Unread post by bushwhacker2k » 2017-07-21, 17:32

Thanks for the recommendations!

I actually somehow got Complete Youtube Saver working. Once I had the FFmpeg files I had to direct it to the folder with the FFmpeg file in it, rather than the overarching folder that contains all relevant folders to FFmpeg. For some reason I couldn't get a video to download a working mp3 file, but on other videos it's worked out. My only remaining issue is that for some reason a lot of the downloads I start fail immediately, but as soon as I press the retry button they work just fine.

GigaWatt

Unread post by GigaWatt » 2017-07-22, 02:16

I use Ant Video Downloader. Try it, it works on all video content, even fragmented videos (it splices them after the download of the fragmented pieces into a single video file). It uses ffmpeg and it should also work with audio files (haven't tried it with audio content though).

petrus

Unread post by petrus » 2017-07-23, 09:40

FreeRapid Downloader is good and supports much more than just YouTube:
http://wordrider.net/freerapid/

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-07-26, 00:20

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... audio-dow/
Almost nothing superfluous, ffmeg stuff only unnecessary.
FreeRapid Downloader
It said that is JAVA, what enough to pass by. But i decided to try, its downloads is located on weird site, couldn't get it, disable adblock not helped.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-08-12, 22:47

Update to earlier post above.

"Download YouTube Videos as MP4" has been taken down everywhere, apparently by its developer.

A few days ago it was removed from AMO, Greasy Fork, Github and the Opera store.

Given the changing state of things on YouTube, it could be uncertain how long it keeps working. But for the near term (or maybe longer) anyone who uses and likes this tool might want to stash backup copies of the xpi or user.js.

Avari

Unread post by Avari » 2017-08-13, 15:34

I use youtube-dl, because it let me download from a LOT of sites

https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/supportedsites.html

(i like to download 80's Videos from Vevo ;) )

But unlike "Video DownloadHelper" it is not able to download stuff from my favorite "adult-oriented Entertainment"-site. So i still need to have Firefox installed as my 2nd browser (and never update to FF57), just for one addon and its use for one por...adult site.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2017-08-18, 18:40

Avari wrote: But unlike "Video DownloadHelper" it is not able to download stuff from my favorite "adult-oriented Entertainment"-site. So i still need to have Firefox installed as my 2nd browser (and never update to FF57), just for one addon and its use for one por...adult site.
I installed Video Download Helper 6.3.1 in PM 27.4.1 using the Moon Tester Tool.

I've only used it a couple of times to test it, so can't say how reliable it is.

Avari

Unread post by Avari » 2017-08-30, 11:31

:D
thank you doofy ... that worked. No problems with MTT + Video DownloadHelper.

I deinstalled FF today, PM is now my only Browser. Thx PaleMoon Team for the great work.

AstonAgar

Unread post by AstonAgar » 2017-09-04, 02:58

Try to download YouTube video downloader. This one works best. If not, then you should searched for a reliable video downloader.

Latitude

Unread post by Latitude » 2017-09-04, 10:23

http://keepvid.com

No need to be installed.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-09-04, 18:20

Online: savefrom.net
Offline: youtube-dl

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-09-05, 18:33

There is Catchvideo.net, which is a video downloader site. With Greasemonkey and the site's userscript, you can download videos from YouTube, Vimeo, and several other places listed on the front page. For me, this takes care of my most of my downloading needs. ;)

N.B. Be sure you use uBlock Origin or similar blocking software when you are at this site!
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

mrmivo

Unread post by mrmivo » 2017-09-06, 01:58

Good thread. I had been using Video Download Helper in other browsers, but even there I bumped into YT videos that it would not download. Eventually I switched to using ClipGrab, a standalone downloader. It occasionally messed up videos, but mostly worked fine. Going to check out the FreeRapid Downloader mentioned above. Looks promising, and open source is a plus!

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2017-09-06, 02:52

Bad news, looks like the writing is on the wall for youtube-dl to be decimated by a recent court case! I'm not aware of legal threats against GitHub or the like for youtube-dl, but it looks grim! I'm considering dumping YouTube like Paris banning diesel!

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-09-06, 04:15

RJARRRPCGP wrote:Bad news...

Do you have a source/link for that news?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-09-06, 04:36

@RJARRRPCGP, Thanks for the link.