Babylon Translation Activation

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Vitasta

Babylon Translation Activation

Unread post by Vitasta » 2017-07-19, 18:11

The addon "Babylon Translation Activation" enables the possibility to use the Babylon click Translator in a proper way in Firefox. You can translate a word with one click.

I have also tried EHTip. It works great but Babylon has a function which I do not want to miss:
If we click on one word in a phrase (for example "go down") Babylon recognizes automatically the whole phrase and gives the translation of the whole phrase. This is not supported in EHTip.

The addon "Babylon Translation Activation" is not a *.xpi -File. It is a Folder.

Is there any chance to get this addon into work with Pale Moon?
ocr@babylon.com.zip
Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JustOff

Re: Babylon Translation Activation

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-07-19, 18:47

Have you tried to zip the content of the extension folder (without the folder itself), rename the resulting zip to xpi and then install it into Pale Moon?

sdrubble

Unread post by sdrubble » 2017-07-20, 04:06

@Vitasta

Have you tried the extension 'S3 Google Translator' ? If I didn't misunderstand you, it has more or less the function you're missing.

Vitasta

Unread post by Vitasta » 2017-07-20, 08:34

@sdrubble

This is a great tool, but S3 Google Translator seems not to support this feature. Or did I miss it?
google vs. Babylon.PNG
When I click on "break" in the phrase "break down" babylon translates automatically "break down", but S3 Google Translator only translates "break". Or did I miss any option?

Yes, I could mark the whole phrase "break down" and the apply S3 Google Translator. But when I want to use it this way, I must know, that "break down" belongs together and has its own meaning. This is exactly the Feature of Babylon translator: You have not to know phrases before you click.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@JustOff

Thank you.

I was able to get "Babylon Translation Activation" into Pale Moon this way. But it seems not to perform. It does not fulfill its aim.

Please note:
"Babylon Translation Activation" is not a stand alone Addon. It is part of the programme Babylon translator (https://store.babylon-software.com/151/ ... e-new+site).
"Babylon Translation Activation" is a mediator between "Babylon Translator" and Firefox. When a word in Firefox is clicked the addon "Babylon Translation Activation" transports this clicked word to "Babylon Translater" so that it can be translated. "Babylon Translation Activation" is responsible for the transfer of the clicked word to "Babylon Translater".

When this Babylon Translator is installed on a system, then automatically the addon "Babylon Translation Activation" appears in the addon list of Firefox. But this addon does not appear in the addon list of Pale Moon.

The addon "Babylon Translation Activation" appears in the addon list of Firefox although this addon can not be found in the Firefox profile. But it can be found in a sub-folder of the Babylon installation:
Concretely it is in this folder on my system (Windows 7):
C:\Program Files\Babylon\Babylon-Pro\Utils\ocr@babylon.com
Seems that Firefox does detect this addon in this folder automatically and bring it into its addon list. But not Pale Moon.

Is there a way that Pale Moon would also use this addon in its original location in C:\Program Files\Babylon\Babylon-Pro\Utils\ocr@babylon.com. Maybe through anything like a link, that guides Pale Moon to that folder?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sdrubble

Unread post by sdrubble » 2017-07-20, 14:31

@Vitasta

You are right indeed - S3 will NOT 'expand' an expression to be translated, when you simply clicked on a SINGLE word. I had previously failed to understand what your exact requirement was, and now that you provided an image plus a detailed explanation, it became much clearer.

And speaking of Babylon: I recall having made some experiments with it, a few years ago and on a not-so-strong computer. I don't remember the exact details, but what I DO remember is that, after a few minutes of experimentation [= frustration], plus some quick Internet research, I ended up writing it off as bloatware and adware. Soo... good luck with it ! :mrgreen:

Vitasta

Unread post by Vitasta » 2017-07-20, 15:02

sdrubble wrote: And speaking of Babylon: I recall having made some experiments with it, a few years ago and on a not-so-strong computer. I don't remember the exact details, but what I DO remember is that, after a few minutes of experimentation [= frustration], plus some quick Internet research, I ended up writing it off as bloatware and adware. Soo... good luck with it ! :mrgreen:
Maybe you had this trouble, because there were versions which includes toolbars. My version is without toolbar. (Or I had at that time reject the installation of the toolbar by not activating the checkbox during the installation process.)
I have used my version about two years with Firefox. And I had no problems with it.

Maybe you can compare http://forums.superantispyware.com/inde ... ification/

But this is not a thread of pro and contra for babylon. I simply would be happy if I would be able to bring "Babylon Translation Activation" into work together with Pale Moon.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-07-20, 16:48

Vitasta wrote:I simply would be happy if I would be able to bring "Babylon Translation Activation" into work together with Pale Moon.
I did some tests and found that the add-on actually works fine with Pale Moon, but the Babylon itself doesn't even try to access it. But there is a hackaround: if you rename palemoon.exe to firefox.exe all works as expected:
vmware_2017-07-20_19-32-37.png
This is not the most elegant solution, you probably better contact Babylon to add official Pale Moon support.

Vitasta

Unread post by Vitasta » 2017-07-21, 12:05

Thank you very much @JustOff.

Yes, this hack really works.
When I have my created *.xpi in the "extensions" folder, the renaming hack brings this addon really into work. It's fantastic.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-07-21, 13:02

Because the Babylon's browser detection routine is quite stupid, renaming to palemoon-is-not-firefox.exe also works 8-)

PS: Be careful on browser update!

Vitasta

Unread post by Vitasta » 2017-07-22, 08:30

Thank you for the hint with the update.

In the mean time I have made a simlink:

1. start cmd as administrator

Simlink.PNG

If you start Palemoon with a double click of the simlink, the addon also works.
But I do not know, if this way the Palemoon- updates now works without problems(?)

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-07-22, 09:54

Vitasta wrote:If you start Palemoon with a double click of the simlink, the addon also works.
The symlink method - this is what I tried in the first place, but it does not work for me, at least on Win10. I'm also not sure how it will survive the updates.

Vitasta

Unread post by Vitasta » 2017-07-23, 09:11

(My system: Windows 7 professional)