Issues w/ Stylish & StylRRR Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

sdrubble

Issues w/ Stylish & StylRRR

Unread post by sdrubble » 2017-07-18, 21:12

Hi all !

First-time poster here. I have just adopted PM (migrating from FF) and loving it.

I've created a blank custom profile for PM, and I'm adding extensions one by one, testing each one, then migrating to next one in my extension wishlist. I'm wishing to create a PM experience as close as possible to a heavy FF profile that I've been tweaking (and bloating) since FF 2.0. :ugeek:

Right now I'm having assorted issues with Stylish & StylRRR. Let's see:

1. Stylish 2.0.7 from AMO: installed, picked a dozen or so previously-known userstyles from userstyles.org, all meant for wikipedia.org. Issue: I go to Wikipedia, and neither of the userstyles provide any change upon activating or deactivating.

2. Read stuff about new ownership & directions on userstyles.org and the 'Stylish' extension itself, starting from 2.0.7; then proceeded to install Stylish 2.0.6, also from AMO. Repeated the procedure above with identical results (i.e., styles non-functional).

3. Disable Stylish; install Moon Tester Tool 1.0.5 from its PM page; download 'stylrrr_barebones_userstyle_injector-0.1.4-fx.xpi' from AMO; borked attempt (???) to manually install StylRRR from this file, thru Moon Tester Tool.

3.1. What is [non-]happening is, I select the StylRRR file from MTT's 'browse file' dialog, and receive absolutely NO feedback: no error msg, and the 'Addons Manager' tab shows that StylRRR has not been installed.

So I decided to take a deep breath, stop researching random stuff, and requesting some adult supervision here. I'm obviously doing one or more things WRONG. :cry:

Any tips are welcome, and thx in advance !!! :D

EDIT: forgot to add, my PM version is 27.4.0 (32-bit)

sdrubble

Re: Issues w/ Stylish & StylRRR

Unread post by sdrubble » 2017-07-20, 06:03

An update. :geek:

Finally got around to testing Stylish again, now in a BLANK PM profile.

Tests with both versions 2.0.7 and 2.0.6 of Stylish, with a couple styles for Wikipedia from userstyles.org, DO work fully as expected ... :shock:

Now I'm gathering will in order to create a 3rd PM profile, which I'll clone from the addons-loaded one where Stylish plays dead, and starting slashing addons and themes left and right. :evil: Or maybe... might be wiser to start blankly and add stuff in ones and twos till it breaks. ;)

FEBE (8.3.1) should help me a lot with this copy-paste-nuke stuff, but I'm really not enthusiastic at all about this... will be tedious at best and hair-pulling at worst. :crazy:

Oh well ... :tired:

sdrubble

Unread post by sdrubble » 2017-09-28, 07:14

Hi all again,

Seeing that Pale Moon has just got a brand-new version, I decided to re-tackle this issue. Created a separate test profile and started doing some tests.

What I have now (all of the below within PM 27.5.0 32-bit):

1. In a profile with NO extensions installed except Stylish, along with some colorful styles for Wikipedia, all styles work.

2. In another profile, which I copied from my 'working' profile (i.e, many extensions and tweaks), I've DISABLED (but not 'uninstalled') all plugins, all themes, and all extensions except Stylish. In this 2nd profile, Stylish does NOT work, in the sense that all styles are shown, either ticked or unticked, but none of them provides any noticeable change to Wikipedia URLs.

3. I went one step further and REMOVED all themes and all extensions (actually kept uBlock, otherwise CPU consumption rockets upward). Got absolutely NO CHANGE from #2 - Stylish is still non-functional.

Now I'm at a loss here, because it seems that a profile with a bunch of extensions which were initially installed and later removed behaves differently from another profile where the same extensions were NEVER installed in the first place. :cry: :shifty: :|

Can I get some advice on how else to sort this out ? The only other option I didn't try would be starting from a blank profile and then adding extensions one by one till Stylish breaks. I would be willing to try this as a last resort, preferably if someone could enlighten me first on the possible reasons why the total removal of extensions wouldn't provide any meaningful result in this case.

Cheers & thx ! ;)

_yuyu_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by _yuyu_ » 2017-09-28, 08:50

Have you tried Extension Conflict Troubleshooter ? It can help a lot with the investigation.
Pale Moon 32-bit on Win 7 x64

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-09-28, 09:31

sdrubble wrote:Now I'm at a loss here, because it seems that a profile with a bunch of extensions which were initially installed and later removed behaves differently from another profile where the same extensions were NEVER installed in the first place.
Among other things, extensions can modify browser preferences and create new preference keys. These changes do not get reverted when extension is disabled/uninstalled.

sdrubble

Unread post by sdrubble » 2017-09-29, 00:55

HI folks.
adesh wrote:
sdrubble wrote:Now I'm at a loss here, because it seems that a profile with a bunch of extensions which were initially installed and later removed behaves differently from another profile where the same extensions were NEVER installed in the first place.
Among other things, extensions can modify browser preferences and create new preference keys. These changes do not get reverted when extension is disabled/uninstalled.
Thx @adesh - while I was unconsciously forgetting this, it sadly seems to be the case here. I did some more tests and gave up on solving this directly ... workaround follows below. :cry:

@_yuyu_ - thx for the useful reference to ECT, or FECT as its author calls it. I installed it, and will keep it disabled by default till another opportunity for troubleshooting conflicts arises. In this particular case, however, FECT won't be useful for me, since, as adesh has rightfully explained above, it doesn't like look like a case where ACTIVE extensions would be conflicting with one another. It rather seems that LEFTOVERS from whatever previous tweak or uninstalled extension are interfering with the functionality of Stylish.

Just for the record, briefly [forgive the poor formatting below: should be 1-2-3]:
  1. StylRRR (installed with Tester Tool) doesn't seem functional at all (no icons anywhere, not even under 'Customize', and no right-click context menu options), regardless of Stylish being enabled or disabled. So disabled it.
  1. I set NoSquint to FORGET per-site settings upon PM closure - no difference. Then I disabled NoSquint - the browser offered to REINSTATE its 'native' zooming capabilities (which had been overridden by NoSquint). Still no difference.
  1. I also tried disabling Noia Moon Options, enjoy-reading, S3 translator, uBlock and Greasemonkey. Yet no difference at all.
I ended up throwing the towel on this issue. :silent: Poor man's workaround: add an entry to 'Open With' extension, pointing to the 2nd PM profile where Stylish DOES work, use 'Open With' to send the URLs I care about to a new window on this 2nd profile, and hopefully enjoy Stylish there. It's mostly Wikipedia that I particularly care about, for the moment.

Cheers & thx 8-) :mrgreen: