Fix or alt for Video Downloadhelper?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Sen16

Fix or alt for Video Downloadhelper?

Unread post by Sen16 » 2017-06-17, 09:58

I recently switched from Firefox to Pale Moon (win7 x64 platform for now) and tried to install the necessary add-ons that I used.

Most really important ones seem to work, but a lot of them don't. One in particular I haven't been able to replace yet: Video Downloadhelper.

Now, searching this forum the general recommendation is to use Complete Youtube Saver. But I already have this installed, and it doesn't work for the particular site I used Downloadhelper for. The site in question is radioplus.be, a local radio streaming site that also allows to play old streams on demand. Saving these was easy with Downloadhelper (mp3, click and save). Complete Youtube Saver does not see anything to download.

I don't know what Video Downloadhelper does, that CYS does not, making it hard to search intelligently for an alternative. I read Downloadhelper used to work, but no longer, and I can't locate an older version to see if this would work.

Can anyone assist? Thanks!

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Fix or alt for Video Downloadhelper?

Unread post by billmcct » 2017-06-17, 12:46

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Sen16

Unread post by Sen16 » 2017-06-17, 13:48

Thanks! This installs, however, it does not detect the stream either. So it does not solve the problem.

Weirdly, when installed, I get the message "The last stable version for Pale Moon (Firefox Variant) is 6.3.1" - but that version does not seem compatible at all.

At least I learned how to find older versions now, for which my thanks! But it does not solve the issue of replacing the Video Downloadhelper functionality.

BTW, the old version in its About menu says it's called Downloadhelper, the new version in Firefox calls itself Video Downloadhelper.

Any other things/addons I could try?

vorkot11

Unread post by vorkot11 » 2017-06-19, 23:17

You can install version 6.3.1 with Moon Tester Tool. Seems to work fine.

Sen16

Unread post by Sen16 » 2017-06-20, 06:51

Wow, that worked! Thanks!! Which begs the question, why does it not work without Moon Tester i.e. why is the Moon Tester functionality not part of Pale Moon (meaning the Jetpack stuff isn't working on Pale Moon, but does work through this extension)?

Is there any drawback to using it like this, as in security risk?

BTW, does this work under Linux as well, as I'm thinking about switching? Sorry, lots of pesky questions - lots to learn!

vorkot11

Unread post by vorkot11 » 2017-06-20, 18:26

That you'd have to ask someone who knows more about this, I am just learning by trial and error and picking up hints on this forum.
You can also install the latest version of Session Manager and LastPass with Moon Tester Tool in case you need to.