NEW ADD-ON - Privacyfix

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Labelleprovince

NEW ADD-ON - Privacyfix

Unread post by Labelleprovince » 2012-10-28, 16:52

"Privacyfix puts you in complete control of your online privacy. The Privacyfix browser extension scans for privacy issues based on your Facebook and Google settings, the other sites that you visit and the companies tracking you. Privacyfix then takes you instantly to the settings that you need to fix. Privacyfix also can warn you of new privacy issues as you surf the web, so you know when sites like Facebook change their privacy policies or have privacy breaches. "

Who’s behind Privacyfix?
The PrivacyChoice team includes more than a dozen contributors around the world with headquarters at Nextspace in beautiful Santa Cruz, California.

MODERATOR EDIT: Link quoted just for avoid the urge to click on it, until we know more about this plugin :think: You can still copy & paste it if you want to see it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: NEW ADD-ON - Privacyfix

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-28, 17:13

Hmm.. One issue: When trying to check their Terms and Privacy items on their website, it will just show you the FAQ...
So, if you're privacy and security aware, you wouldn't use it until you know exactly what you are getting yourself into (considering the add-on both interacts with logged in accounts and sends/receives data to their servers, this is really important)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2012-10-28, 20:21

I visited the link and the Terms & Privacy items just refers to a standard FAQ. This isn't what I call Terms and Privacy in my opinion. But, my own gut gives me a "nagging suspicious" feeling.

I don't have a Facebook or a Google + (plus) account. Don't have a Twitter account either. I have both Pale Moon and Firefox set for "Tell websites I don't want to be tracked", I regularly delete my browsing history, I clear my cache, I delete my cookies (except for the login cookies for my regular haunts like this site) and I delete my super cookies (local shared objects). For me, this extension isn't needed.....unless I'm missing something which I'm not aware of.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-10-29, 02:48

I start to smell here something like "clever spam" since the guy just tell us to use thins add-on without explain if he used it and how works. A nice video tells nothing about user experience, so far I just convert the happy link to text. So people can think twice instead to "click'n'try" (C).

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-10-29, 03:08

lobocursor wrote:I start to smell here something like "clever spam" since the guy just tell us to use thins add-on without explain if he used it and how works. A nice video tells nothing about user experience, so far I just convert the happy link to text. So people can think twice instead to "click'n'try" (C).
I tried early this month, when LifeHacker was talking about it. It is okay, but once you turn off what you want, you can remove it.

Labelleprovince

Unread post by Labelleprovince » 2012-10-29, 03:51

I used this add-on only for one day and I`m not sure if it is really okay. The navigation and bookmarks toolbar was moving up and down a little bit, the "health icon" in the right upper corner did not show many orange squares (only two-four, so more than 90% was "healthy"). I removed it because Moonchild said about sending data to their servers.

Apollo702

Unread post by Apollo702 » 2012-11-01, 10:23

I have quite a bit of experience with this subject. First of all 99% of do-not-track does not work. Since the system is voluntary most of them are going to use the do-not-track cookies and run roughshod over the public anyways.

Secondly, I have quite a bit of experience with the "Privacy" people and their add-ons. They make at least 4( suspiciously only half are listed on AMO) and most of them are badly broken. The best one was Privacy Score which gave a simple number score for a page's privacy practices- but when Privacy Fix came along it utterly destroyed P.S. Even with a total uninstall and clean reinstall didn't fix it. Kiss the (good) P.S. goodbye and P.F. simply did nothing. It almost was if it wasn't there!

I have had numerous mails with the Privacy people and I finally told them that I found the whole thing suspicious because they claim they have a zillion Twitter followers and they have been featured all over the media and they have all these glowing reviews blah blah blah... I flat out told them that their salespeople wre writing checks that their programmers couldn't cash. I point blank asked them if they were writing their own reviews and buying Twitter followers! How could all these people rave about broken products?

I should point out that at that very moment I was publishing a folder of fraud sites where people can buy Facebook and Twitter likes and followers in bulk. Also, assuming that the media appearances and reviews are real it is a fact that they rarely do their due diligence. All anyone needs to get media attention is hype hype hype.

The bottom line: It is easy to get taken in when things get labeled "security" or "privacy." I am posting quite a bit on junk security and privacy because most people consider it sacred when in fact much of it doesn't work- or causes more problems than they are worth. The "Privacy" claims simply don't work in the real world.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-11-01, 21:46

The less of you private life you leak in the internet, the more safe you are.

Actually more free services uses our data for the real meat of their companies, so suites like this one are somewhat not thrust for install. I used ghosthery as my main shield until I found that they let pass some facebook services as I was greet in some webpage "Since you share several pages from this website in FB why not install X add-on?" and ghosthery was updated and on. Maybe a simple bookmark tool is not so dangerous, but what I was making bank operations on-line? I wouldn't like too see in some webpage "now that you use XYZ bank for buy why not open a secondary credit card with us?"

The "do not track" feature is DOA, since places like Yahoo! already say that they will ignore that by default (or by force) and some others big places will follow. So we only can just try and test which privacy tool is the best and change when it do not protect us anymore.

Apollo702

Unread post by Apollo702 » 2012-11-03, 21:15

The less of you private life you leak in the internet, the more safe you are.
Ding ding ding! Top answer on the board to Lobocursor! I have been doing some writeups on how people really get hacked/cracked/identity stolen... and I am firmly convinced that most of it is actually low tech. The public has a Hollywood style image of some offbeat geek typing in fancy code while spouting out a bunch of techobabble. Not long ago I was watching some ridiculous movie about hackers where they were spouting out all the technoblahblahblah and while they were hacking the computers they were moving through a virtual maze. They came up on the defenses and it had a skeleton in the corner. Where do they come up with this garbage?

I have said it 1000 times: Since most people choose one flimsy password for everything their social networks are the key to anyone- even someone with ZERO I.T. skills to guess their passwords. Furthermore they broadcast their real names, birthdays, real time locations, schools, mother's maiden names, pets... It becomes an absolute paradise for hackers, burglars, stalkers, rapists, divorce attornies, law enforcement, the taxman, the welfare cheat department...

A huge chunk of my tech advice is low tech. It is all about people and not letting tech ruin your life! It is about being able to go to the bar and not be so addicted to Facebook and Twitter that they can't get their faces out of the phone! I hope to lead the charge in liberating people from social network addiction!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-11-03, 21:32

Exactly why, if you actually follow a security course or two like I have, they stress that most confidential information is obtained by simply asking for it.
"Social engineering" is one of the biggest threats to privacy and security, not hard-line hacking. If you don't know what that is, Check our friend Wikipedia, they have a rather extensive article on it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite