ABL: Separate whitelisting from element hiding?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

ABL: Separate whitelisting from element hiding?

Unread post by VLMin » 2017-06-08, 18:04

I am looking at this page: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/create-winkey-shortcuts-windows. The author does a lot of great work, and I have no problem supporting him by allowing ad revenue, just as I would for Pale Moon. But down the left-hand side of the page appear a bunch of brightly colored icons (Facebook, Google, etc.), which I find most distracting (given my eyesight).

So, on one hand I would like to whitelist the site (disable ABL on this site), and on the other, I would like to remove certain elements from the site's pages. Presently, I see no way to accomplish both at the same time using ABL.

Am I correct, or am I missing something? And if I am correct, would the dev team assigned to ABL kindly consider this an enhancement request?

For uBlock users, does uBlock offer such a capability?

Thank you.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: ABL: Separate whitelisting from element hiding?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-06-08, 21:29

You can use the "open blockable items" menu entry to get a list of elements that are currently blocked/allowed. It may be little work to find the exact right elements, but mostly the names do give them away. So you can enable the blocker, then go into "open blockable items" and with a few clicks create custom rules for the site to allow ads.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2017-06-09, 12:34

Moonchild wrote:You can use the "open blockable items" menu entry to get a list of elements that are currently blocked/allowed. It may be little work to find the exact right elements, but mostly the names do give them away. So you can enable the blocker, then go into "open blockable items" and with a few clicks create custom rules for the site to allow ads.
Thanks for this suggestion, Moonchild. I tried this some time ago, but I had a hard time associating the blockable items entries with the items they reference. I will try again with fresh eyes (and now, a bit more experience).

In any event, whenever I unblock/whitelist a site, the element blocking turns off. It seems to me that whitelisting and element hiding are logically and functionally independent actions, suggesting that a user ought to be able to do either independently of the other. So my request to separate them stands.

I do realize that implementing this separation of functions might require a departure from the AdBlock Plus code base, and that I've no idea how closely ABL is or is not still tied to that base. So I have no way even to guess whether what I'm requesting would require little or much effort to implement and maintain.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-06-09, 14:11

Tobin (who forked this) says it's a "wontfix". So if anyone wants to make this separation, they will have to provide their own enhancement or fork.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-06-09, 14:46

I think you can do this in uBlock by setting the website to an "Allow All" status, which is not the same as adding it to the whitelist which essentially disables the extension for the website (and thus not allowing you to achieve what you want, by adding exceptions). Perhaps there's a way to do a similar "Allow all" operation in ABL.

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2017-06-09, 16:09

back2themoon wrote:I think you can do this in uBlock by setting the website to an "Allow All" status, which is not the same as adding it to the whitelist which essentially disables the extension for the website (and thus not allowing you to achieve what you want, by adding exceptions). Perhaps there's a way to do a similar "Allow all" operation in ABL.
Given Tobin's response via Moonchild, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the observation/suggestion.

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2017-06-09, 16:21

Moonchild wrote:Tobin (who forked this) says it's a "wontfix". So if anyone wants to make this separation, they will have to provide their own enhancement or fork.
Moonchild, thank you for having the conversation!