Tab Groups addon on Pale Moon?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

emil96

Tab Groups addon on Pale Moon?

Unread post by emil96 » 2017-06-08, 13:13

Is it possible to install Tab Groups addon on Pale Moon: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/tab-groups-panorama/? I asked the developer if he is considering releasing version of the addon compatible with Pale Moon but he answered 'No', unfortunately.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Tab Groups addon on Pale Moon?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-06-08, 13:17

We've had our own version of this for a very long time already (since it was removed from Pale Moon way before Firefox considered getting rid of it).
http://www.palemoon.org/tabgroups.shtml
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

emil96

Unread post by emil96 » 2017-06-08, 16:35

I have palemoon addon installed but it's not that powerful as the Tab Groups for Firefox. I am not even sure if i can assign custom keyboard shortcut for opening the tab groups pane. If i press the default ctrl+shift+E it opens the default thumbnails tabs switch pane with the search bar at top.

grahamperrin
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Pale Moon Tab Groups 0.2 and 0.2.3

Unread post by grahamperrin » 2017-12-06, 07:11

http://www.palemoon.org/firstrun.shtml directed me to https://addons.palemoon.org/incompatible/ where I found Tab Groups Helper, listed as fixed, so I installed that.

Post-installation, Tab Groups Helper drew attention to the requirement for Tab Groups.

https://addons.palemoon.org/incompatible/ directed me to this section of the forum, where I found this topic.
That's 404, not found.

Wayback Machine (in Waterfox 56.0) automatically found https://web.archive.org/web/20170527182 ... oups.shtml with Pale Moon Tab Groups 0.2, which installed without error (in Pale Moon).

Post-installation, it was necessary to customise the navigation toolbar, the button did not appear.

I was able to create one group, but found no way to create a second group; the two buttons to the right of the management interface have tips but no icons; and so on.

Eventually I found https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/tabgroups/ (archived). Updating to 0.2.3 did not work around the problems.

Environment:
Please consider:
  1. adding a redirect from http://www.palemoon.org/tabgroups.shtml to https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/tabgroups/
  2. fixing Pale Moon Tab Groups (if the problem is not specific to FreeBSD).
I'll compare with Pale Moon on 32-bit Windows 7.

Thanks

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-06, 09:54

Redirect in place, for the time being. Just because a forum post contains a link doesn't mean that link will remain valid for eternity.

Also, the "incompatible" page was specifically referring to if you're having issues trying to use Firefox extensions on Pale Moon.
Post-installation, it was necessary to customise the navigation toolbar, the button did not appear.
It seems on both pages you've applied your "selective reading" skill as you've missed important pieces of information that are front and center. The add-on's page has a paragraph SPECIFICALLY outlining the button's placement and that it doesn't appear by default.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

grahamperrin
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by grahamperrin » 2017-12-06, 18:47

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2017-12-08, 07:51

grahamperrin wrote:...Tab Groups...
Woah, another Tab Groups user!

So, it sounds like the problems you're having are mainly not being able to make groups, and missing icons (the buttons are still there, with tooltips, but the icons are missing).
Moonchild wrote:The add-on's page has a paragraph SPECIFICALLY outlining the button's placement and that it doesn't appear by default.
(Moonchild is right, it totally says that you have to add the button to your toolbar. It's probably still invisible, though.)

Does clicking a tab, holding down, and dragging it out of one group not create another? If not, sorry, I don't know what to say.

But as for the missing icons, aha, I had the same problem! (I'm on a Mac, by the way, not FreeBSD, and I have never used FreeBSD, but hopefully I can still help.) After living with the missing icons for a couple months (it was better than no tab groups at all; actually, the reason I started using Pale Moon is because of the support for XUL/XPCOM extensions, specifically for Tab Groups), I opened up Tab Groups 0.2.3 and some old versions of the Firefox Tab Groups add-on from right after tab groups were removed from the core Firefox browser to see if I could find the problem. And, I did: Incorrect chrome:// URLs in the CSS files contained within the skin folder. (These are separated by OS, by the way, in folders called winstripe, pinstripe, and gnomestripe, something which I think was reported as a bug in SeaMonkey like five years ago, but don't mind that... I would guess that FreeBSD is included under gnomestripe (Linux).) So, I copied the extension, fixed it, and have been a happy Tab Groups camper since.

Just now, I took a break typing this to apply my fixes on GitHub (Tab Groups Source Repository) and created a pull request. Hopefully this fixes the missing icons problem for you, and Moonchild or someone can merge it.
Off-topic:
Also, I noticed the GitHub repository seemed to be version 0.2.2, while https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/tabgroups/ has version 0.2.3....

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2017-12-10, 02:09

Moonchild merged my pull request and has updated the add-on page. In theory, I have fixed the missing icons issue—I definitely did on Mac, and hopefully for FreeBSD, as well. Could you please update to Tab Groups 0.3 and tell us if the issue is resolved?

grahamperrin
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by grahamperrin » 2017-12-11, 19:11

Thanks.

Still the problems on FreeBSD. https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_ ... ?id=224147 updated.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2017-12-11, 22:37

grahamperrin wrote:Thanks.

Still the problems on FreeBSD. https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_ ... ?id=224147 updated.
Hmm... Maybe the styling (icons, button alignment, etc.) just isn't applying on FreeBSD.

No promises, but it's possible that this may work—I added a line to the chrome.manifest to try to register the gnomestripe skin package with the flag 'os=FreeBSD' (The other ones are os=Linux, os=WINNT, os=Darwin, and a generic one that applies to all but only has 47 CSS rules and no icons.).

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2017-12-12, 21:07

FWIW, I use Tab Groups Manger (https://bitbucket.org/tabgroupsmanager/tabgroupsmanager) which works well enough. Though it looks like they're heading for the webextensions route. so I might need to fork it and try and fix the odd bugs I've run across.

Kenaz

Unread post by Kenaz » 2018-02-16, 13:30

Hello,

Is it possible to change the font and window color of the tab groups via the userChrome? I would like to adjust the color of the tab groups to the Dark Moon theme.

SpockFan02
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by SpockFan02 » 2018-02-17, 08:31

Kenaz wrote:Hello,

Is it possible to change the font and window color of the tab groups via the userChrome? I would like to adjust the color of the tab groups to the Dark Moon theme.
I see no reason why it wouldn't be possible. Try selecting .groupItem for the visual groups ("window"s) and .anonymous-div (group names) and .tab-title (titles of individual tabs) for text.

jars_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by jars_ » 2018-02-17, 11:51

Yes. Sample:

Code: Select all

/* TabGroups */
@-moz-document url("chrome://tabgroups/content/tabview.html") {

* {box-shadow:none !important;}

BODY {
	background-color: #323232 !important;
	}

.groupItem {
	-moz-appearance:none !important;
	background: #363636 !important;
	border: 1px solid #222 !important;
	min-width: 400px !important;
	min-height: 500px !important; 
	}

.groupItem.activeGroupItem {
	background: #3A3A0F !important;
	border: 1px solid #3A3A0A !important;
	}

/* заголовки групп */
.title-container,
input.name {
	color: #EFEF00 !important;
	font-size: medium !important;
	font-weight: 600 !important;
	}

.tab-title {
	color: #EFEFEF !important;
	text-shadow: 2px 1px 2px #000 !important;
	font-weight: 600 !important;
	}

/* разделит. полоска в группах от закрепленных вкладок */
.appTabTrayContainer {
	-moz-border-start-color: #222 !important;	
	}

.tab {
	margin-top: 4px;
	margin-right: 4px;
	margin-bottom: 4px;
	margin-left: 4px;
	padding-top: 4px;
	-moz-padding-end: 6px;
	padding-bottom: 6px;
	-moz-padding-start: 4px;
	background-color: #444 !important;
	border-top-left-radius: 0.4em;
	border-top-right-radius: 0.4em;
	border-bottom-right-radius: 0.4em;
	border-bottom-left-radius: 0.4em;
	cursor: pointer;
	}

.thumb {
	background-color: #444 !important;
	background: #444 !important;
	}

.tab canvas,
.cached-thumb {
	 border: 1px solid #222 !important;;
	}

.favicon {
	background-color: transparent !important;
	background-image: -moz-linear-gradient(rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.21),rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.13) 49%,rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.094) 51%, rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.05)) !important;

padding-top: 4px;
	-moz-padding-end: 6px;
	padding-bottom: 6px;
	-moz-padding-start: 4px;
	top: 4px;
	left: 4px;
	-moz-border-end-width: 1px;
	-moz-border-end-style: solid;
	-moz-border-end-color: rgba(73, 99, 119, 0.3);
	border-bottom-width: 1px;
	border-bottom-style: solid;
	border-bottom-color: rgba(73, 99, 119, 0.3);
	height: 17px;
	width: 17px;
	}

}

Kenaz

Unread post by Kenaz » 2018-02-17, 18:28

This is very helpfull. Good work and new features are also includet.
Thank you very much!

Kenaz

Unread post by Kenaz » 2018-08-16, 18:56

Hello everybody,

Tab Groups 0.3 does not work anymore since Pale Moon 28.0.0?

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2018-08-16, 19:18

Kenaz wrote:Tab Groups 0.3 does not work anymore since Pale Moon 28.0.0?
Nope. Further info: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=19840&p=147145&hil ... 28#p147145
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

bedeulfi

Unread post by bedeulfi » 2018-08-17, 14:21

Quicksaver's Tab Groups 2.1.4 kind works on Pale Moon 28.0.0. Problem is that the buttons are not shown. Tab Groups 0.3 (PM) button works with Quicksaver's Tab Groups but kinda overwrite the app.
e.g. Install Tab Groups 0.3 (PM) and Quicksaver's Tab Groups 2.1.4. and TG0.3 button opens QTG2.1.4 tabview. After restart TG0.3 button does nothing and QTG2.1.4 options are missing. Disable and enable QTG2.1.4 and the button works untill next restart.

A hackjob workaround is to replace all words 'tabgroups' in the TG0.3 xpi with for example 'tabgroupz' (done with notepad++ and the 'find in files' option) to ensure it works with QTG2.1.4

Kenaz

Unread post by Kenaz » 2018-08-17, 19:14

That's bad news. Tab Groups is a very useful tool.
I hope that the Pale Moon team is still possible, or some talented user, to work on it for a solution.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-17, 22:15

As stated elsewhere multiple times: Even though I initially created this extension, I simply do not have the time to update it for use with Pale Moon 28 and UXP. Anyone is welcome to take over maintenance of this extension or to fork it.