Password manager on linux mint

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

BigAngry

Password manager on linux mint

Unread post by BigAngry » 2017-05-12, 07:01

I've been going through this forum trying to figure out what password manager I can use that supports both palemoon and linux, but am having a really hard time.
I used lastpass before, but it seems that its rather unsafe now due to having major security flaws in the older compatible versions. Stickypass sounds great but doesnt support linux. All versions of keepass seem to be very dated and have poor support. Basically I cant find something that will work on both, also I'm very new to linux having just installed it today so that probably has a lot to do with my confusion.

lightning slinger

Re: Password manager on linux mint

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2017-05-12, 08:56

BigAngry wrote:.... All versions of keepass seem to be very dated and have poor support....
KeepassXC was updated on April 10 and is currently at version 2.1.4-1 and is available for all platforms.
Information here
There is always the built-in PM password manager if you don't mind using an integrated password manager. Some people consider the integration of a password manager in to a browser a security loophole, but can't see it being worse than using an a password manager as an extension. Anyway I have confidence in the fact Moonchild would not have included it in the build if there was a security issue! KeepassXC is not an extension and the database can be kept anywhere on the system. I use a USB flash drive for mine!

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2017-05-12, 13:05

BigAngry wrote:password manager I can use that supports both palemoon and linux
Not sure what you mean about "password manager supporting linux".
I am happily using Saved Password Editor 2.7.3.1-signed within my palemoon running under linux. I thought that browser add-ons were OS-independent.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2017-05-12, 13:40

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:
BigAngry wrote:password manager I can use that supports both palemoon and linux
Not sure what you mean about "password manager supporting linux".
I am happily using Saved Password Editor 2.7.3.1-signed within my palemoon running under linux. I thought that browser add-ons were OS-independent.
he's talking about password manager softwares. and i second the KeepassXC rec for Linux

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dinosaur » 2017-05-12, 17:17

I use a modified version (*) of Password Hasher, meaning I only have to use one password for all sites (the extension hashes that private password together with the site domain to generate the per-site password). It's pretty handy and avoids storing private passwords in any database.

(*) I added a "Seed string" setting, which is saved in the browser config and gets appended to all site domains prior to hashing, making it almost impossible for some hacker who would have recovered your hashed password (or several of them) in some way and guessed you are using PH, to use brute-force (using PH itself) to recover your private password. Not sure I can post the modified version here, since I'm not PH's original author...

BigAngry

Unread post by BigAngry » 2017-05-13, 05:32

Thanks for the input. Im trying to install keepassxc, but there are different instructions on the keepassxc site and the github site which I think I've likely bungled by installing the package from the keepassxc site first. Should I ignore the magkopian instructions if it installed successfully from the site? It seems to launch fine and everything. I can probably back out the changes I started making via those instructions.

Edit: On the bright side I'm very happy with how easy it is to back out changes and uninstall stuff using synaptic manager. Breath of fresh air compared to windows. I've been throughly amazed by how much better of an experience I'm having with linux after working with windows my whole life.