inforss reloaded - palemoon version of inforss

Dedicated board for extension releases/support threads

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Forum rules
Please do not create new topics here unless you are an extension author in need of a dedicated releases&support thread!
JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Re: inforss reloaded - palemoon version of inforss

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-07-27, 21:47

To be exact, I'm talking about Pale Moon 28.0.0b4 (32-bit) Build ID 20180720133932.

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2018-07-28, 06:05

OK, on 28 it reregisters itself in that loop every time it starts up. on 27 it doesn't

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2018-07-28, 07:20

For one, it appears that PrefService (i.e. nsiPreferenceService) .PREF_STRING is undefined in the latest build. I changed the code to use branch.PREF_STRING and that causes the hangup. Removing the if condition completely (so the block is executed without testing for the type) results in the browser coming up fine.

This affects the test below where adding a feed causes an exception to be thrown. As the check never matches, the loop never terminates. Joy. Fortunately the fix appears to work in 27 and 28.

One does wonder why this value migrated between classes though.

Note: using -jsconsole doesn't get me any of the trace I added unfortunately, that only comes up in the browser console.
Last edited by thosrtanner on 2018-07-28, 08:07, edited 4 times in total.

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-07-28, 09:28

PREF_STRING is defined in nsIPrefBranch since March 2001, and AFAIK it was never available from nsIPrefService. It looks like you just inherited non-working code, which previously simply did not lead to a critical error.

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2018-07-28, 10:55

It actually worked. the PREF_STRING had a value. It may have been incorrect but it was working.

Released 2.0.3.2 which works (and I still need that workround because I get an exception thrown)

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-07-28, 11:02

thosrtanner wrote:It actually worked. the PREF_STRING had a value. It may have been incorrect but it was working.
I have no idea how it worked, as the following snippet returns "undefined" in both PM27 and PM28:

Code: Select all

var PrefService = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/preferences-service;1"]
                  .getService(Components.interfaces.nsIPrefService);
alert(PrefService.PREF_STRING);
Released 2.0.3.2 which works (and I still need that workround because I get an exception thrown)
I confirm this, thanks.

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2018-07-28, 15:24

I get this in the browser console on 27.9.4 (64 bit)

Code: Select all

16:22:50.980 Components.classes["@mozilla.org/preferences-service;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIPrefService).PREF_STRING
16:22:50.982 32
So yeah. very strange

Glad the fix works though. I should probably raise an issue about the exception being raised

silv7k
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by silv7k » 2018-08-22, 14:50

From time to time when I restart a browser (this may happen once in a week. or a month) infoRSS Reloaded couldn’t start.
noinfo.jpg
noinfo.jpg (3.19 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
As far as I can tell the extension can not read (or parse) RSS list, I get
rssFillPopup : TypeError: RSSList is null
popup alert trying to click the extension button in the status bar.

If I rightclick the button to go to configuration I get
redisplay_configuration : TypeError: gInforssMediator is null
popup alert, then Options window is open with no information at all (no feeds, no groups, no [old] settings…).

Mostly I fix it like this: enable the old infoRSS extension, restart browser, enable infoRSS Reloaded, restart browser. After this “fix” everything seems to work fine for a time.

This is an old story, I believe it has nothing to do with PM 28 and infoRSS Reloaded 2.0.3.2 specifically (symptoms are mostly the same every time).
thosrtanner, can I collect some useful info for you to try to really fix this since I’m in the crash state again?

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2018-08-22, 19:35

silv7k wrote:From time to time when I restart a browser (this may happen once in a week. or a month) infoRSS Reloaded couldn’t start.
noinfo.jpg

As far as I can tell the extension can not read (or parse) RSS list, I get
rssFillPopup : TypeError: RSSList is null
popup alert trying to click the extension button in the status bar.

If I rightclick the button to go to configuration I get
redisplay_configuration : TypeError: gInforssMediator is null
popup alert, then Options window is open with no information at all (no feeds, no groups, no [old] settings…).

Mostly I fix it like this: enable the old infoRSS extension, restart browser, enable infoRSS Reloaded, restart browser. After this “fix” everything seems to work fine for a time.

This is an old story, I believe it has nothing to do with PM 28 and infoRSS Reloaded 2.0.3.2 specifically (symptoms are mostly the same every time).
thosrtanner, can I collect some useful info for you to try to really fix this since I’m in the crash state again?
I'm surprised enabling the old extension is needed, I'd have thought it'd go away when restarted. It does sound like there's an issue reading the list.

Couple of things you can do.

* Go into about:config and set inforss.debug.log to true and restart the browser, with -jsconsole, and see if it produces any trace (filter on inforss)
* Send me a copy of inforss.xml from your profile directory after it has gone into funny mode

Ideally create an issue on github (see the help page) and attach the file and anything from the log

silv7k
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by silv7k » 2018-08-22, 20:43

thosrtanner wrote:I'm surprised enabling the old extension is needed, I'd have thought it'd go away when restarted.
Well, I’ve restarted now and the problem was gone.
I’m sure I had tried this little trick in the past (3-4 restarts). Maybe you’ve already fixed it.
thosrtanner wrote:Couple of things you can do.

* Go into about:config and set inforss.debug.log to true and restart the browser, with -jsconsole, and see if it produces any trace (filter on inforss)
* Send me a copy of inforss.xml from your profile directory after it has gone into funny mode

Ideally create an issue on github (see the help page) and attach the file and anything from the log
inforss.debug.log is already true.
Starting browser with -jsconsole opens Error Console² which doesn’t allow to copy its content or filter it (some kind of bug?..).
Wouldn’t the Browser console suit as a replacement? Browser console shows no problem with inforss now (only 3 “Error fetching *** timeout”). Will look into it next time.

Thanks!

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-08-23, 19:26

Off-topic:
silv7k wrote:Starting browser with -jsconsole opens Error Console² which doesn’t allow to copy its content or filter it (some kind of bug?..)
You should uninstall Error Console² as it is not compatible with Pale Moon 28.
Last edited by JustOff on 2018-08-23, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

silv7k
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by silv7k » 2018-08-23, 20:56

Off-topic:
JustOff wrote:You should uninstall Error Console² as it is not compatible with Pale Moon 28.
Got it, thanks.

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2018-08-26, 18:18

Released 2.0.3.3 with a fix for that

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2019-02-17, 18:19

Released version 2.1.0.1

Reason for the big leap is that
  • I've been doing a lot of refactoring, which has coincidentally helped me fix a number of issues (see the changelog)
  • This version works with basilisk. If you also have status-4-evar it'll be able to use the status bar. If not, and the extension is configured to use the status bar, it'll behave as though you'd configured a bar at the bottom of the screen

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2019-03-11, 22:00

just for a laugh I tried this version on ff 56 (i.e. last version that supported old style extensions) and (if you tweak the xpi slightly to remove all the localisation - or add a title entry for every localisation), then it works fine.

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2019-06-19, 21:13

Released version 2.2.0.0

This has had some attention given to the option screen. It now resizes properly and makes sensible use of the space you give it.

Also, the code to create feeds from twitter or various blog sites has been removed, as none of them work like that anymore (for those that still exist).

More details in Changes.md on github here

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2019-06-21, 19:37

And 2 idiotic bug fixed, taking it to 2.2.0.2

silv7k
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by silv7k » 2019-06-26, 22:58

Version 2.2.0.2, alert on browser start:
event_binder/<@chrome://inforss/content/modules/inforss_Utils.jsm:359:7 : TypeError: node is null
(looks like everything works fine after I click OK)
(Now I can see the difference: none of my feeds have icon in status bar (they do have usual icons in Options)

Also I have a strange really big white space in status bar (non-clickable, no tooltips) and I think it may have something to do with infoRSS (looks like it’s size of max infoRSS panel). But that’s a wild guess. Any way to log/check/investigate this?

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2019-06-27, 18:51

Hmm. that's odd. Which browser and o/s (and possibly which theme) - and which status bar extension? Also I take t you have the headlines in the status bar. Does it work if you put them elsewhere?

If you can go to the options screen and set debug to print stuff to the log, that might give me something to go on. I presume you have debug messages set to give alerts at the moment.

silv7k
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by silv7k » 2019-06-28, 01:22

Pale Moon 28.5.2 (64-bit) under Windows 10 with Moonfox3 (2.4.1) theme.
Yes, I have debug popup on.

I see nothing with “infoRSS” in Error Console (and I don’t know where else to look, sorry).

For the status bar extension… I see none in my extensions list! Have no idea how this thing works :о)

That’s my status bar after I start browser:
See the gap in the middle.

After I click Customize [toolbars] the icon for All together (red fat circle) changes to the globe icon and stays that way:

Beside that — no problem as far as I can tell.

If I place headlines area to the top instead of status bar, then all the icons work fine.