Enhanced browser history log

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

PhilK

Enhanced browser history log

Unread post by PhilK » 2017-04-14, 06:50

One of the things I keep running into nowadays when trying to troubleshoot crashes, problems or sneaky/malicious web content, is that so much content is now loaded from hosts/domains/URLs that are not the same as the URL one sees in the URL bar, that investigating something like crashing/broken pages, malicious sites/scripts or sneaky tracking things is a huge chore. (For me anyway)

I would love to have an enhancement to the browser history log where it could (optionally - this could be OFF by default) log not only the page URLs that are visible in the URL bar, but also the sub-components of a page which are not necessarily obvious to the user as they are being loaded "under the hood".

Does anyone else find this idea useful?

(I realize stuff like logging every single image etc would be burdensome and should at least be disabled by default, I think I'm most interested in things like 3rd-party scripts/cookies/redirects etc.)

mseliger
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Enhanced browser history log

Unread post by mseliger » 2017-04-14, 08:14

If you use the adblocker uBlock Origin (https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/) you have an extended logger (the "table", see screenshot).
Extended Logger from uBlock Origin
Extended Logger from uBlock Origin
popup-1.png (15.45 KiB) Viewed 660 times
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Greetings
Maria
---
Ich bin ein Westfale, und zwar ein Stockwestfale, nämlich ein Münsterländer – Gott sei Dank! füge ich hinzu ...
Annette von Droste zu Hülshoff, Bei uns zu Lande auf dem Lande

PhilK

Re: Enhanced browser history log

Unread post by PhilK » 2017-04-14, 18:03

mseliger wrote:If you use the adblocker uBlock Origin (https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/) you have an extended logger (the "table", see screenshot).
Yes I'm familiar with that and have uBO installed here, but AFAIK A) it has to be manually launched during every session and B) the information disappears after the browser is closed.

I'm also curious what impact leaving that open all the time has on resource usage/performance. (I have no particular ongoing need to have a continuous realtime display of these things, as long as I can review them later)

Tho perhaps an enhancement to uBO that allows users to run that on every launch and log to a file might be useful..