Advanced Night Mode issue Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Advanced Night Mode issue

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-03-20, 01:42

I found a strange little bug with Advanced Night Mode.

It leaves some pages permanently inverted. In particular, it left the editing page for Stylish user styles in a permanently inverted mode that was very difficult to read. (Go to Add-ons Manager Β» User Style and hit the Edit button for any style). It also permanently inverted Browser Console.

At first I thought it was a problem specific to my theme, but when I installed that theme into a test profile, which has never had ANM installed, this issue did not appear.

Back to the default profile. Disabling the Advanced Night Mode was not sufficient to correct the problem. I reset preferences to their default and changed to the default theme. That didn't work either. Safe Mode didn't work either. It was necessary to remove the extension completely to restore these windows to their original state.

PM 27.1.2 (64-bit)
Ubuntu 14.0.4.5
20 July 1969 πŸŒ— Apollo 11 πŸŒ“ "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." πŸš€

JustOff

Re: Advanced Night Mode issue

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-03-20, 12:15

This is known issue inherited from parent add-on. I'll try to fix it when I have enough time.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-03-21, 05:53

Okay, thanks. In the meantime, I'll just have to live without having a night mode for PM. :|
20 July 1969 πŸŒ— Apollo 11 πŸŒ“ "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." πŸš€

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-04-30, 21:10

JustOff wrote:Advanced Night Mode has been updated to 1.0.3
Did this fix the issue as described in the original post (in which some pages were left permanently inverted)?

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-04-30, 21:21

I wish the firefox add on "dark mode" could be used in palemoon as its a far better extension.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-04-30, 23:37

gracious1 wrote:Did this fix the issue as described in the original post (in which some pages were left permanently inverted)?
Try 1.0.4b1.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-01, 00:15

JustOff wrote:Try 1.0.4b1.
This is how it looks when enabled:
ANM 01.png
The buttons turn white with no text, and I can't see the name "Advanced Night Mode" (in grey text).

And this is how the Options page looks:
Options page.png

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-05-01, 08:57

gracious1 wrote:This is how it looks when enabled
The buttons turn white with no text, and I can't see the name "Advanced Night Mode" (in grey text).
I've never tried ANM under linux before, but now I see the same crooked result for 'about:addon' page using 'Default' method with all versions (1.0.2-1.0.4b1). There is no such issue with Windows and Mac OS, however, and 'Simple CSS' method works fine for such pages on all platforms.
And this is how the Options page looks
Just reload it once (F5).

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-05-03, 12:08

Any updates here? Is the original issue resolved?

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-05-05, 12:31

gracious1 wrote:Did this fix the issue as described in the original post (in which some pages were left permanently inverted)?
Since there was no feedback here for a few days, Advanced Night Mode 1.0.4 has been released to address another task. It also includes the changes mentioned above so this issue should be fixed too.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-06, 03:39

Sorry for the delay in providing feedback. Changing the local preference to "SImple CSS" for the Add-ons Manager did make the buttons visible, so it is functional (if not aesthetic). How other pages and sites look varies widely, and either "Invert" or "Stylesheet Processor" look best for most of them. So this will work, as long as certain pages don't remain permanently inverted!I will only know it when it happens... but so far, so good! :thumbup:

Oops, the Stylish editor page remained inverted even after selecting the local preference to have it disabled. However, this time it was not necessary to remove ANM to restore the page. Globally disabling ANM was enough (but this of course means it is off everywhere.) So there is still the problem of local "Disabled" being ignored.
ANM configured pages.png
Despite configuration above, the stylish editing page remains thus:

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-05-06, 12:38

gracious1 wrote:Changing the local preference to "SImple CSS" for the Add-ons Manager did make the buttons visible, so it is functional (if not aesthetic).
This issue is specific to default theme for linux, all others combinations I've tried works fine with "Stylesheet Processor" mode.
Oops, the Stylish editor page remained inverted even after selecting the local preference to have it disabled.
Actually this page consist of two parts, each of which processed differently. Headers view is controlled by the method selected in ANM, while code editor is part of developer tools so it uses devtools dark theme, which is global setting for the browser.
However, this time it was not necessary to remove ANM to restore the page. Globally disabling ANM was enough (but this of course means it is off everywhere.)
This is what was fixed in 1.0.4.
So there is still the problem of local "Disabled" being ignored. Despite configuration above, the stylish editing page remains ...
Because of its composite nature mentioned above Stylish editor page can't be excluded from processing just by "Disabled" method. I've fixed the issue that prevented changing processing mode for this page, now try 1.0.5b1 with 'Simple CSS' method.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-07, 00:00

A little more prompt with feedback tonight. ;)

"about:stylish-edit" without night mode (normal mode)
ANM options for "about:stylish-edit" set to Simple CSS
ANM options for "about:stylish-edit" set to Disabled.
Although the upper part reverts to normal mode, the editing area itself remains in night mode. To return to normal mode, it remains necessary to disable ANM globally (as in the first illustration); local settings still have no effect.

These screenshots were taken with a randomly chosen theme, but the default theme produced identical results.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-05-07, 11:00

gracious1 wrote:Although the upper part reverts to normal mode, the editing area itself remains in night mode.
As I already wrote above, code editor in Stylish is a part of browser developer tools and always uses devtools theme. I've added separate option to control this, try 1.0.5b2, but remember that it has global effect.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-07, 23:03

Installed latest beta (1.05b2).

Iteration 0:
β€’ ANM disabled
β€’ Global option "Use dark theme for DevTools" disabled (Note: you can't this setting in the popup window; only in Add-on Manager)
β€’ "about:stylish-edit" in normal mode (i.e. no night mode)
Iteration 1:
β€’ ANM enabled
β€’ Global option "Use dark theme for DevTools" selected (Note: again, you can't this setting in the popup window; only in Add-on Manager)
β€’ Local option for "about:stylish-edit" set to "Simple CSS"
Notice above that the upper part does not change to night mode. In the previous version (1.05b1) it did change to night mode, like so:
Iteration 2:
β€’ ANM enabled
β€’ Global option "Use dark theme for DevTools" enabled
β€’ Local option for "about:stylish-edit" set to "Disabled"
The editing area itself remains in night mode.
(The upper area never changed in the first place, so it is also the same.)

Iteration 3:
β€’ ANM enabled
β€’ Global option "Use dark theme for DevTools" disabled
Sucess!! It is not necessary to disable Advanced Night Mode altogether, but only to deselect the DevTools-related option. :thumbup:

Iteration 4:
β€’ ANM disabled
Oops! Night mode is back in the editing area. The DevTools option overrides the ANM extension. This is probably intentional?

That being the case, it would be nice if the option to select/deselect "Use dark theme for DevTools" were provided in the popup box that appears when you click the ANM toolbar button, as well as in the Preferences in the Add-on Manager (just as enabling/disabling the entire extension appears in both places). This will prevent me from disabling ANM only to find I have to go into Add-ons Manager and disabled the DevTools option. Or go back to the Add-ons manager to re-enable DevTools dark theme when I want to turn ANM back on.

(I realize there is a Global Preferences button; but there is also an "Enabled" checkbox, so couldn't there also be a "Use DevTools for dark theme" button? This would prevent scenarios 2 and 4 from happening.)

Thanks for working on this, and cheers! Hope this helps!

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-05-08, 09:50

gracious1 wrote:Iteration 1:
Notice above that the upper part does not change to night mode. In the previous version (1.05b1) it did change to night mode, like so:
Can't reproduce, you probably forgot to refresh the page.
Iteration 4:
Oops! Night mode is back in the editing area. The DevTools option overrides the ANM extension. This is probably intentional?
This should be fixed in 1.0.5b3
That being the case, it would be nice if the option to select/deselect "Use dark theme for DevTools" were provided in the popup box that appears when you click the ANM toolbar button, as well as in the Preferences in the Add-on Manager (just as enabling/disabling the entire extension appears in both places). This will prevent me from disabling ANM only to find I have to go into Add-ons Manager and disabled the DevTools option. Or go back to the Add-ons manager to re-enable DevTools dark theme when I want to turn ANM back on.
Honestly, I can't understand why this might be necessary, except for testing.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-09, 03:40

Installed & tested ANM 1.05b3 in Pale Moon 27.3.0 on Ubuntu 14.0.5

Iteration 0:
β€’ ANM disabled
β€’ Global option "Use dark theme for DevTools" disabled (Note: you can't this setting in the popup window; only in Add-on Manager)
β€’ "about:stylish-edit" in normal mode (i.e. no night mode)
Iteration 1:
β€’ ANM enabled
β€’ Global option "Use dark theme for DevTools" enabled (Note: again, you can't this setting in the popup window; only in Add-on Manager)

Notice above that the upper part does still does not change to night mode. :thumbdown:
Same result as last test.
In the test of a prior version (1.05b1), it did change to night mode, like so:
Iteration 1a:
JustOff wrote:Can't reproduce [iteration 1]; you probably forgot to refresh the page.
Refreshing the page resulted in text disappearing from upper portion of the page. :thumbdown:

Iteration 2:
β€’ ANM enabled
The editing area itself remains in night mode. Same result as last test . :|

Iteration 3:
β€’ ANM enabled
β€’ Global option "Use dark theme for DevTools" disabled
Both upper area and editing area are back to normal mode. Same result as last test. :thumbup:

Iteration 4:
β€’ ANM disabled
Normal mode, again! So now it isn't necessary to open Global Preferences tab to disable "Use dark theme for DevTools". Just ticking/unticking "Enabled" in the popup window does the job! :thumbup:

So that's the end of that test. :coffee: Hope this helps. Cheers!

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-05-09, 14:15

gracious1 wrote:Iteration 1:
Iteration 1a:
Still can't reproduce this using ANM 1.0.5b3 in Pale Moon 27.3.0 with Default Theme on Ubuntu 14.04 & Mint 17.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-09, 18:51

JustOff wrote:Still can't reproduce [iteration 1a] using ANM 1.0.5b3 in Pale Moon 27.3.0 with Default Theme on Ubuntu 14.04 & Mint 17.
Tried again with PM 27.3.0 (64-bit) on Ubuntu 14.04.5…
Refreshed experimental profile FOOBAR.
Installed ANM 1.5.b3, Stylish 2.0.7, and user style "About Pale Moon + E.T.".

Conducted the same iterations as last experiment, plus one additional. Same results except as noted:

Iteration 1a:
β€’ ANM enabled
β€’ Global option "Use dark theme for DevTools" enabled (Note: again, you can't this setting in the popup window; only in Add-on Manager)
β€’ Reloaded page
Success! Upper portion has changed and is now correctly showing dark theme. :thumbup:

Iteration 4:
β€’ ANM disabled
Oops! Dark theme remains for upper portion of page even though extension is disabled. :|

Iteration 4a: Same settings, reloaded page
Success! Entire page in normal mode! :thumbup:

Since ANM worked as expected in a refreshed profile, most likely the failed result of iteration 1a from the last experiment was due to extension or preference conflict. (I may resolve this later… or not. :coffee: )

I think we have a winner. :clap: Cheers!
Off-topic:
Well, that's done then.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-05-09, 20:53

gracious1 wrote:I think we have a winner. :clap: Cheers!
Ok then, now Advanced Night Mode 1.0.5 has been released, so feel free to mark this topic as solved :wave: