Forecastfox (fix version) going WebExtensions

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Forecastfox (fix version) going WebExtensions

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-03-16, 05:04

Forecastfox (fix version) is going to change from XUL to WebExtensions. I asked the developer Oleksandr if he would consider maintaining the XUL version as well for users of Pale Moon. He said, in a word, no. No time. Just gonna do the WebExtensions for people using FF.

I was wondering if any of the add-ons team and other developers here would be interested in developing & maintaining a fork of Forecastfox? I really like having the forecast in the status bar in the way this particular extension does it.
This is a shot from FF, which I seldom use now. But I really miss having this information.

If anyone feels up to doing this, I would be so very grateful. :thumbup:
Cheers.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Forecastfox (fix version) going WebExtensions

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-16, 05:06

Everyone loves that extension. I am sure someone will pick it up eventually. But don't get obsessive.. If it isn't broken there isn't any reason to rush.

Rickkins
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Rickkins » 2017-04-13, 14:54

gracious1 wrote:Forecastfox (fix version) is going to change from XUL to WebExtensions. I asked the developer Oleksandr if he would consider maintaining the XUL version as well for users of Pale Moon. He said, in a word, no. No time. Just gonna do the WebExtensions for people using FF.
Well, crap on a cracker. I wonder if that's why my forecastfox just stopped working...??(on Tuesday)

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by eskaton » 2017-04-13, 15:35

Mine's working fine. This version of the extension should continue to work until Accuweather changes their feed in some way. Have you tried setting a different location to test it?

Rickkins
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Rickkins » 2017-04-13, 16:26

eskaton023 wrote:Mine's working fine. This version of the extension should continue to work until Accuweather changes their feed in some way. Have you tried setting a different location to test it?
Yes, and I tried "restore all defaults" too.

Stuck on connection error.

Gonna try uninstalling and reinstalling...

Thanks.

Rickkins
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Rickkins » 2017-04-13, 16:59

And of course, that had no effect....

Rickkins
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Rickkins » 2017-04-13, 23:16

Ok, I'm at a loss to explain this, but the damn thing is working again, and I have no idea how or why.

D'oy.... :wtf:

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2017-04-14, 04:04

Man, the rats are jumping ship fast. I really hate to see this.

I remember when it last quit working and was so delighted to see someone fix it after Accuweatherhad changed their feeds last time.

Well, I will continue to use it till it's gone. Man, this whole thing is starting to feel like when the big family get together

keeps getting smaller and smaller as some pass on, and other can't get along and some move away. :cry:

Rickkins
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Rickkins » 2017-04-14, 16:21

Thehandyman1957 wrote:
Well, I will continue to use it till it's gone.
Roger that.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-04-15, 04:43

Rickkins wrote:
Thehandyman1957 wrote:
Well, I will continue to use it till it's gone.
Roger that.
But perhaps someone here has the skill and the time to port it to PM and keep it XUL ?
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-04-15, 06:28

Port what? The version that works on Pale Moon can simply be modified.. Isn't like he originally created it after all..

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-04-15, 22:27

Matt A Tobin wrote:Port what? The version that works on Pale Moon can simply be modified.. Isn't like he originally created it after all..
Okay, I know about that history. My point was that he said he wasn't going to bother maintaining an XUL version. So someone would have to step in and do the modifications should for some reason ForecastFox stop working in PM. I don't know exactly what that would entail, as I am not a developer.

sunstarunicorn
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by sunstarunicorn » 2017-06-15, 18:31

I don't know if anyone's noticed this or when it happened, but as of today, I've discovered that I cannot access Forecastfox's options or add a new location to track. Both options take me to dead links where I am helpfully informed that 'This domain is for sale'. While I know a bit about code, I don't know nearly enough to feel comfortable trying to crack this addon open to change the options. I suspect this lovely change has much to do with the addon's recent changes (which I was sadly oblivious to).

While this doesn't affect me in the short term, it does mean I'll have to abandon ship on this addon once I move, 'cause Palemoon > weather addon. I don't want to tell anyone what to do, but since the Palemoon compatible version of Forecastfox can't be changed (by the user) any longer, maybe it shouldn't be listed in the Palemoon addons? Or maybe now is time for that fork?
Then I shall name you Tinúviel Beria uin Morchaint, which means 'Daughter of Twilight protecting from the Shadows' in Elvish.

Once a King or Queen of Narnia, always a King or Queen.

He is not a tame Lion...but he is Good.

Connect, Respect, Protect

Let's Keep the Peace!

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by eskaton » 2017-06-15, 19:12

I'm using version 2.4.8 of this extension, and when I right click on the info in the status bar and select options it opens a tab to a local file/storage: chrome://forecastfox/content/options/options.html
So that works fine for me; not sure how/why it's taking you to an external site with a domain for sale.

FYI, here is the blurb from the AMO site:
=====================
!!!!! About version 4.x !!!!!
=====================

Sorry, but the statusbar/addonbar is missing in new versions of Firefox.
The current version of Forecastfox is the version for the new API: WebExtensions (supported Firefox and Google Chrome)

WebExtensions not supported "statusbar/addonbar" from xul-addons like as "Addon-bar restored", "Status-4-ever" , etc

These are the inevitable changes in Firefox - all Xul-addons is die in Firefox 57 (November 2017)
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017/02 ... ilestones/

Forecastfox WebExtensions Features:
1. Addon Permissions: Access your data for all websites
2. Forecast bar now has 2 mode: Vertical (by default) and Horizontal
3. Forecast bar will not be displayed on some sites from mozilla.org and google.com
4. Forecast bar will not be displayed on sites that do not have pages, for example error 404 (page not found)
5. Forecast bar will not be displayed on internal Firefox and GoogleChrome pages, for example about:addons , about:config , chrome://extensions/ , chrome://settings/ , etc.
6. Forecast bar will not be displayed on the WebExtensions pages "moz-extension://...." , "chrome-extension://...."
7. Forecast bar may not be displayed correctly on some sites. In this case, report the problem on the forum

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for understanding!

PS:
version 2.4.8 (last for XUL-technology) - is broken: City search does not work
I could not fix and make version 2.4.9, because 2.4.8 uses the outdated version of jQuery
jQuery 1.x is now forbidden by Mozilla, read more: https://bit.ly/1TRIyZY
and I had to choose - either completely rewrite code for WebExtensions (version 3.4) or completely rewrite code for a new jQuery (version 2.4.9)
I chose WebExtensions.

Sorry!

sunstarunicorn
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by sunstarunicorn » 2017-06-20, 02:37

eskaton023 wrote:I'm using version 2.4.8 of this extension, and when I right click on the info in the status bar and select options it opens a tab to a local file/storage: chrome://forecastfox/content/options/options.html
So that works fine for me; not sure how/why it's taking you to an external site with a domain for sale.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Turns out the only time I really look at my addons is when something stops working. :oops: Also turns out that I should read my own addon screen more carefully...oh, well, I know for next time. Once I updated to version 2.4.8, my options came back just fine.

Thank you for the help. :thumbup:
Then I shall name you Tinúviel Beria uin Morchaint, which means 'Daughter of Twilight protecting from the Shadows' in Elvish.

Once a King or Queen of Narnia, always a King or Queen.

He is not a tame Lion...but he is Good.

Connect, Respect, Protect

Let's Keep the Peace!

dookie

Unread post by dookie » 2017-07-22, 11:14

This is sort of a pointless post, but I just wanted to say that I spent the past 20 minutes scratching my head after installing palemoon on a new system as to why this extension wasn't working when it still works on my other computer. I reinstalled forecastfox (fix version) and restarted palemoon several times fiddling with it. Then,I checked the version number on the other system and found the version that still works. If I had found this thread, I could have saved myself some trouble.

Report: version 2.4.8 still works fine.