Palemoon 15 v. Crashes

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Cactusneedle

Palemoon 15 v. Crashes

Unread post by Cactusneedle » 2012-10-07, 01:45

Starting with the latest upgrade v. 15 Pale Moon, my browser began crashing whenever I tried to open a video. Adobe Flash of course. As soon as I disabled it no more problem but of course no video access either. Tried removing the Flash player and reinstalling an earlier version but no go. Reinstalled PM 12.2.1 which once worked fine but no go either. I finally had to go back to v. 3.6.32 to get a perfectly functioning browser. And that's where I'll be staying for awhile. The Flash I have in 3.6.32 is 11.4r402. I also use FF 15.0.1 with Flash 11.2r 202, Chromium 19, Seamonkey and Opera all with working Adobe Flash 11. This relates only to my Linux OS w/Wine not my Windows Vista OS, where PM updates are still working fine. Grrrrrr.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Palemoon 15 v. Crashes

Unread post by Night Wing » 2012-10-07, 02:55

I'm running Windows 7 (64-bit) on both of my two computers and I've not had a single crash using Flash (v11.4.402.278) with any of my four browsers which are: Pale Moon v15.1.1, Firefox v15.0.1, SeaMonkey v2.0.14 and Internet Explorer 8.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-07, 09:13

You may want to consider using the latest Flash version 10.3 (which is the one recommended for corporate and high-availability environments) instead. Version 11.* is really unstable on some systems, even regardless of browser - it's often "luck of the draw".
You can find the latest 10.3 version (which is actively maintained, mind you, so secure) on Adobe's website:
http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplaye ... tml#fp10.3
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

chriscctx

Unread post by chriscctx » 2012-10-11, 01:27

Same problem, flash crashes every time. Windows 7, x64, most current Pale Moon and 11.4 updated version of flash. I really like Pale Moon however I have to use IE :cry: when i have to use flash. I have read a lot on how to fix but nothing so far has helped. Same issue at work with the same computer specs and flash and Pale Moon versions. btw rolling back to earlier versions of flash did nothing, still crashes.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-10-11, 03:14

chriscctx wrote:Same problem, flash crashes every time. Windows 7, x64, most current Pale Moon and 11.4 updated version of flash. I really like Pale Moon however I have to use IE :cry: when i have to use flash. I have read a lot on how to fix but nothing so far has helped. Same issue at work with the same computer specs and flash and Pale Moon versions. btw rolling back to earlier versions of flash did nothing, still crashes.
Did you tried to use PaleMoon Portable 32 bits and see if your flash sites do not crash? You can install both versions in this style: Normal install 64 bits and Portable in 32 bits.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-10-11, 06:51

The most reason for the browser crash with flash 11.* is the new sandbox from flash.

Many users don't have the problem after they disable this sandbox

Cactusneedle

Unread post by Cactusneedle » 2012-10-19, 19:55

How do you disable the sandbox? I'm nooby on that. Cactusneedle

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-19, 20:15

"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

chriscctx

Unread post by chriscctx » 2012-10-24, 03:09

This did nothing for me either. I can not find a flash version that does not make Pale moon or foxfire crash the webpage I am on. I have to use IE more and more. And I guess until a fix is found most like just go back to IE full time. I hate to admit that microsoft has a better mouse trap in this situation.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2012-10-24, 17:08

Hmm do you try to disable the hardware acceleration?

What graphiccard you use? AMD/ATI? Many user have problems with the actually flash and the driver from ATI.