ABPrime - The Binary Outcast Adblocker and Tobin's True Vision

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

New Tobin Paradigm

ABPrime - The Binary Outcast Adblocker and Tobin's True Vision

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-01, 03:53

Greetings,

I have just finished modifications and release of my completely toolkit based fork of ABL 3.5 for Pale Moon 27+.

Binary Outcast is proud to announce the availability of ABPrime on the Pale Moon Add-ons Site. Here: http://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/abprime/

If you would like to contribute the repository is here: https://github.com/binoc-central/abprime
http://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/abprime/ wrote: ABPrime is a fork of Adblock Latitude version 3.5 and is the original intended vision of the future of that extension.

It provides complete blocking upon browser start at the minor cost of increased overall startup time depending on the amount of filter subscriptions you chose to have loaded. It also provides a higher degree of memory stability over bootstrapped incarnations of the source codebase.

This extension is NOT maintained by the Pale Moon Project contributors or the Add-ons Team and no support issues and feature requests should be directed toward them. Make no mistake this extension is a product of Binary Outcast. Only BinOC personnel are authorized to provide support or insight but not required to do so.

Like all forks from the Adblock Family of extensions you must disable or remove other siblings as they WILL conflict with each other and bust your browser in many colorful ways. Other blocking extensions and Adblock Plus extension hacks may or may not play nicely with ABPrime. When in doubt disable them.

Additionally, ABPrime will use the same filter storage files located in your profile that ABP and ABL use thus changes made will persist across other members of the Adblock Family. This is done for reasons of easy switching from those extensions.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: ABPrime - The Binary Outcast Adblocker and Tobin's True Vision

Unread post by BenFenner » 2017-03-01, 14:08

YouTube seems to have figured out how to bypass EasyList (I think they are rolling it out slowly) so I'm updating Adblockers and subscriptions in an effort to get all my ducks in a row.
I went to update this morning and found ABPrime on the list, so I've grabbed it and reading more I appreciate the thought behind the fork so I expect to use it moving forward.
Thank you.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-01, 14:13

Odd, I haven't had a single YouTube ad come through and I use exclusively easylist.

Though, you may want to consider adding the following filter:

Code: Select all

||www.google.com/js/bg/GAW6C50rsyTjyKH_xDUR149tmj1cMf_r0QAth1jXDNI.js
Sometimes when that script loads it adds a delay on js filling out content on youtube pages. I've found blocking that specific script makes for a better experience when using Youtube.

Lunix

Unread post by Lunix » 2017-03-01, 20:52

Trying this out.

ABP loaded all my ABL filters without issue, as advertised. On my system it increases PM's initial load time by maybe 2 seconds. I don't see any differences in actual use from page to page. Everything is blocked that should be blocked. Doesn't seem faster or slower than ABL. Are there advantages to ABP that are under the hood, not immediately obvious?

I would like to see the memory usage of ABP compared to ABL, but unfortunately the "about:addons-memory" extension no longer works in PM 27. (There's an extension we could also use a Tobin fork of.)

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2017-03-01, 21:53

If ABP is already an established abbreviation of Adblock-Plus, what should be the abbreviation for Adblock-Prime? " AB′ "?

paulri
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by paulri » 2017-03-01, 23:49

adisib wrote:If ABP is already an established abbreviation of Adblock-Plus, what should be the abbreviation for Adblock-Prime? " AB′ "?
I agree, that ABP is going to signify "AdBlock Plus" to a whole lot of people. I'd recommend something like ABPr.
Paul

If you have found a solution to your problem, please click on the check mark icon of the post that answers your question, so as to alert others who have the same problem.

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-03-02, 00:02

paulri wrote:
adisib wrote:If ABP is already an established abbreviation of Adblock-Plus, what should be the abbreviation for Adblock-Prime? " AB′ "?
I agree, that ABP is going to signify "AdBlock Plus" to a whole lot of people. I'd recommend something like ABPr.
Maybe just "Prime" with no "Ad Block" in front of it? That actually *sounds* the best, but it may not be explanatory enough.

Another idea might be to have some synmoyn for "Ad-Blocker" that isn't the word "Ad-Blocker", thus breaking up the ABP=Ad-Block Plus=Ad-Block Prime confusion. An example would be "Ad Destroyer Prime".

Or, what about "Ad Eater Prime" with a mascot that looks like the guy from the old Number Munchers game eating an advertisement instead of a number? Actually, that one sounds good. Tobin can have it if he wants it. :) My small contribution to his project.

But if that doesn't sound good, the basic premise could be used. The term "ad-blocker" doesn't *necessarily* have to be in the name of the add-on I understand why it helps for people scanning for, well, an ad-blocker, though.

Anyway, I liked the approach attempted with 3.5, so I am going to try Prime out. Always good to have more options in the Pale Moon family of add-ons with different developers and different visions. Choices are good.

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-03-02, 00:13

Right now starting up Pale Moon with ABPrime on my machine from a fully loaded desktop is running between 21 and 23 seconds (Well, I counted out numbers, I didn't use a stop watch- but roughly that). Starting up Pale Moon with ABLatitude on my machine from a fully loaded desktop is running around 3 seconds. I didn't really expect that big of a difference.

The good news is that I am having no trouble switching back and form between them, so if Prime can cut the load time on a future release or something, I can switch to it very easily. The current 21-23 second load time is too much for me. But I think loading the blocker before the browser is the better approach if that time can be cut down with future refinements. Also, it may work fine as-is on a faster machine, so for people with faster computers, or for me if I get a faster computer... it's still good to have in the ecosystem.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-02, 00:26

It is directly proportional to the number of filter subscriptions you have loaded up.. I see many as having too many overlaps with one another.. Though it does remain a consern and will need addressed if possible.. However, it is stated upfront and at this second IS a trade off..

24 seconds though.. I've had four lists and most it took for me was between 5-7 seconds..

Also, the branding is ABPrime not Adblock Prime.. Though just Prime is acceptable.

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-03-03, 05:05

Matt A Tobin wrote:It is directly proportional to the number of filter subscriptions you have loaded up.. I see many as having too many overlaps with one another.. Though it does remain a consern and will need addressed if possible.. However, it is stated upfront and at this second IS a trade off..

24 seconds though.. I've had four lists and most it took for me was between 5-7 seconds..

Also, the branding is ABPrime not Adblock Prime.. Though just Prime is acceptable.
I have 9 lists, so that is probably the issue. I could easily cut it to 8 as one does appear to incorporate both another list and itself, but eliminating 1 list of 9 probably wouldn't help me much with start-up time. I have to admit I kind of use this as a catch-all as I don't want to get into things like No-Script and Ghostery that require a lot of active management. Using a bunch of filters block some of what I'd want blocked beyond ads, and then I live with the rest, which is an acceptable compromise for me. I could do more if I wanted to invest a lot of time in manually white-listing scripts and that kind of stuff with other extensions, and dealing with more site breakage, but that's not for me.

I do also use the element blocker to deal with a few oddball things that the filters don't catch that are perhaps individual to a given site and annoy only me.

Anyhow, advancing technology and just today's medium to fast systems being tomorrow's slow systems I think will help more and more people grow into a place where the start-up time is pretty minimal to non-existent for Prime. Some people are already there. And you've mention that you're going to look into some things on your end. So, it may be just around the corner to be viable for people with my use case if we're patient. In the meantime, it serves an audience already, I'm sure. That's what's great about having several things in the same category- everyone who wants one only needs to find one that works for their use case, choices may grow as all of them change and evolve, and extensions such as Prime are freer to serve a more specific market and not wait around for the rest of us. :)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-03, 08:15

So you are using lets call it millions of lines of filters and then wonder why there may be an issue.. You know.. i'd be interested to see if ABL takes just as long before blocking actually happens and a banner ad disappears as it does to load up ABPrime...

Regardless, I believe you are not using the software properly if you have that many all loaded up. Please do not use ABPrime in this case.

0strodamus
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by 0strodamus » 2017-03-04, 22:46

Off-topic:
Lunix wrote:I would like to see the memory usage of ABP compared to ABL, but unfortunately the "about:addons-memory" extension no longer works in PM 27. (There's an extension we could also use a Tobin fork of.)
If you use version 10, it appears to only need to have the let block fixed in about.js. It's working for me anyway. See https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=14429.
To do it yourself, change the following code (at line 278):

let (l = $("loading")) {
      l.parentNode.removeChild(l);
    }
to this:

{
      let l = $("loading");
      l.parentNode.removeChild(l);
    }

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-03-18, 03:52

Off-topic:
deleted
Last edited by gracious1 on 2017-03-18, 04:11, edited 4 times in total.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-18, 04:05

Does any of this have to do with my extension? If not.. Don't post it here.. Period.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-03-18, 05:30

Lunix wrote:I would like to see the memory usage of ABPrime compared to ABL,
Give this a gander: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=15164
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2017-04-16, 14:07

I haven't switched all of my 5 machines over to ABPrime yet, but I likely will very soon. AdBlock Latitude may be the cause of lots of HTML5 video not playing any longer: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15108&p=112046#p112046

If you're using AdBlock Latitude and videos stopped playing for you over the last week or so, ABPrime is likely your solution. :thumbup:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-04-16, 14:12

Would like to know why this is an issue in ABL but not ABPrime...

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2017-04-17, 03:03

I've updated the other thread. Things might not be as directly linked as I thought...

vertigo220

Unread post by vertigo220 » 2017-07-26, 02:13

Ran into an issue using xda with ABPrime. Here's the thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16236&p=118145#p118145

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2017-08-30, 15:53

So out of curiosity, is there any development going on with ABP, or is it considered done?