Cookies Exterminator, weird behaviour

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic

Cookies Exterminator, weird behaviour

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2017-02-21, 16:26

PM 27.10 + PM 27.1.1

Cookies Exterminator https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/cookies-exterminator/ doesn´t work properly.
Even though sites are whitelisted, i repeatedly have to confirm that i want to allow cookies on those webbsites.
Administrator on Windows Server to Workstation
Moderator (and "undercover" Admin) on The Windows Club Forum

Security: EAM, Comodo Firewall and HIPS, WinPatrol+, HOSTS-file, UAC (max), Sandboxie, NoScript and ADBlock.

JustOff

Re: Cookies Exterminator, weird behaviour

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-02-21, 16:43

1) Dedicated thread is here: Cookies Exterminator
2) Whitelisted site means that cookies from it will not be removed when closing tab, and not that all cookies from this site are allowed to be set in browser. If you use custom setting for cookies you should control them there independently from CE.

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2017-02-21, 17:27

JustOff wrote: Whitelisted site means that cookies from it will not be removed when closing tab,
I know.
But for some odd reason they are removed, which leads to the same question over and over...
JustOff wrote:If you use custom setting for cookies you should control them there independently from CE.
No i don´t.
And i´m talking about exactly the same homepage, not another homepage on the same webbsite, so there should not be any new cookies.

Thank you for the link to the other thread.

I have Cookies Exterminator v2.7.9
It has worked for weeks, since i upgraded to PM 27, so i suspect it might have been updated to a newer version recently,
when i updates other add-ons, and stopped working properly.
I will try to reinstall an older version, and the latest (2.8.0) to see if it works again.
Last edited by hackerman1 on 2017-02-21, 17:39, edited 3 times in total.

Security: EAM, Comodo Firewall and HIPS, WinPatrol+, HOSTS-file, UAC (max), Sandboxie, NoScript and ADBlock.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-02-21, 17:34

If you don't use custom setting for cookies then what is the source of questions to confirm that you want to allow cookies?

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-02-21, 18:02

hackerman1 wrote:
JustOff wrote: Whitelisted site means that cookies from it will not be removed when closing tab,
But for some odd reason they are removed
Could you please export and attach your config of CE and the log that confirms such behavior?
And i´m talking about exactly the same homepage, not another homepage on the same webbsite, so there should not be any new cookies.
I've tried to decrypt what you meant above, but failed. 8-) And my question about source of confirmation dialogs is yet without answer.

PS: Please don't update your post after reply or there will be little chance that someone will notice it.

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2017-02-21, 18:27

JustOff wrote:If you don't use custom setting for cookies then what is the source of questions to confirm that you want to allow cookies?
That is what i´m wondering too...
If a webbsite is whitelisted i should not get the same question over and over.

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2017-02-21, 18:34

JustOff wrote:
I've tried to decrypt what you meant above, but failed. 8-) And my question about source of confirmation dialogs is yet without answer.
I visit a homepage, tell the webbsite i allow cookies, close the tab / or browser.
Next time i visit exactly the same homepage (same URL), i once again get a message from the webbserver asking me about allowing cookies.

Clear enough ?

This is one of those webbsites where this happens: http://www.smhi.se/vadret/vadret-i-sverige/land/hourByHourTable.do?%2022%3A59%3A00&geonameid=2702261

I´ll get back with a log later.
I upgraded to v2.8.0, for the moment it seems to be working normally again...

But perhaps it would be better if i posted in the other thread ?

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-02-21, 18:50

hackerman1 wrote:
JustOff wrote:If you don't use custom setting for cookies then what is the source of questions to confirm that you want to allow cookies?
If a webbsite is whitelisted i should not get the same question over and over.
First of all, if you don't use custom setting for cookies (Options->Privacy->History==Remember history) then you should not see a single question about allow or decline cookies.
I visit a homepage, tell the webbsite i allow cookies, close the tab / or browser.
You mean you whitelist website in CE or allow cookies when browser asks you?
Next time i visit exactly the same homepage (same URL), i once again get a message from the webbserver asking me about allowing cookies.
So you actually use custom setting for cookies?
I´ll get back with a log later.
Log + CE config, plz.
I upgraded to v2.8.0, for the moment it seems to be working normally again...
There was no changes concerning extension's behavior, only updates of button.
But perhaps it would be better if i posted in the other thread ?
Let's finish here and then I'll ask moderators to merge.

Toa-Nuva
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Toa-Nuva » 2017-02-22, 10:51

I think I know the problem. You're probably talking about this message (in the link you posted earlier), right?
SMHI använder cookies i syfte att följa upp och förbättra webbplatsens utformning och innehåll. Om cookies på SMHIs webbplats
This question is not asked by the browser or an addon, but by the website itself. (Due to some EU regulations, many websites do that.) If you confirm this question, you are not whitelisting the website in you addon. Instead, you are just confirming (to the website) that you read this message. Your browser and your addons do not know anything about this.

The website will probably save a cookie on your computer to remember your confirmation. But since the website isn't whitelisted in your addon, this cookie will be deleted and the website does not remember you on your next visit, so it will show the message again.

If you want to get rid of this message for good, you have to whitelist the website in the addon properly. (I don't use the addon, so someone else will have to help you with that.) As an alternative, you can install the addon "I don't care about cookies", which will block this message, as well as similar messages on many other websites.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-02-22, 21:39

hackerman1 wrote:I´ll get back with a log later.
So, have you managed the problem?

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2017-04-16, 19:37

Toa-Nuva wrote:
This question is not asked by the browser or an addon, but by the website itself.
The website will probably save a cookie on your computer to remember your confirmation. But since the website isn't whitelisted in your addon, this cookie will be deleted and the website does not remember you on your next visit, so it will show the message again.
Who said that the browser or the add-on asked about allowing cookies...???
Of course it´s the webbsite...
Read what i said above, in my first post: The webbsite is whitelisted.
So this should not happen.
And it never did, until i started using Cookies Exterminator....

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2017-04-16, 19:41

JustOff wrote:
hackerman1 wrote:I´ll get back with a log later.
So, have you managed the problem?
No.
And i have not had time for this, so there is no log at the moment.
I have had more important computer problems to take care of, like fx. Microsoft updates....

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2017-04-16, 19:59

JustOff wrote: If you don't use custom setting for cookies (Options->Privacy->History==Remember history) then you should not see a single question about allow or decline cookies.
Exactly.
That is the problem....
JustOff wrote: You mean you whitelist website in CE or allow cookies when browser asks you?
Both.
The webbsite is whitelisted, and i tell the webbsite that i allow cookies.
JustOff wrote: So you actually use custom setting for cookies?
No.
The setting in Pale Moon is to allow all cookies until they expire.
Cookies Exterminator handles how long the cookies are kept, not Pale Moon...
Clear enough ?

PhilK

Unread post by PhilK » 2017-04-16, 23:28

I believe Toa-Nuva answered the question above.

The OP is apparently not asking about an in-browser prompt to actually allow the browser to store cookies at that particular moment, he is referring to a legally-mandated message that any European Union located website must display to anyone who loads the page if that site uses browser cookies, asking the person to acknowledge that the site uses cookies and that they accept that "in general". (Details: Link 1, Link 2)

That message is annoying to a lot of people. To where someone created a Firefox extension specifically designed to block the display of such messages as an incessant annoyance. In fact, that extension is hosted on the Pale Moon Add-Ons website as well: I don't care about cookies

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-04-18, 14:07

hackerman1 wrote:Clear enough ?
Could you please provide an example of site you have such problem with?

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2017-04-18, 20:20

JustOff wrote:
hackerman1 wrote:Clear enough ?
Could you please provide an example of site you have such problem with?
Two of the sites are http://www.esr.se/, and http://www.dkscan.dk/.

Every time after closing and restarting Pale Moon, when i visit esr.se i get "Allow cookies ?",
and on dkscan i have to login again.
This tells me that there is something wrong with saving the cookies from those two websites....

I did some testing yesterday, and i have a theory abou why this is happening.
But before i say more i want to re-test and double-check what i found.

I´ll be back... :D

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-04-19, 13:20

hackerman1 wrote:Two of the sites are http://www.esr.se/, and http://www.dkscan.dk/.
I've testedwww.esr.se using clean Pale Moon profile with only Cookies Exterminator installed. I accepted the cookies policy and found 'cookieAcceptanceCookie' cookie was set with 2044/09/03 expiration date. Next I added esr.se to Cookie Exterminator's Whitelist and made sure that cookies from esr.se successfully survive across browser restart and tab close. You should probably look for another add-on or browser setting leading to the loss of cookies in your case.

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2017-04-19, 14:17

Thank you.
I have also discovered that it works (as it should if) i use a new profile.
With or without Cookies Exterminator.
Both closing a tab, and restarting the browser works OK, for both of those 2 sites.

So i suspect either a corrupt profile, or another add-on thas is interfering.
I have several other add-ons, and some of them have been updated to newer versions the last couple of months.
I only update manually, and i updated them, and installed Cookies Exterminator at the same time.
And then the problems started... ;)

I have had the same problem also with several other websites, but for some odd reason those sites works OK now.
That is so weird, some site works, some don´t...

I´m going to try an older profile from my backup, and then update the add-ons again, in order to find out why this is happening.
btw. the log you requested doesn´t help, i activated the log, but it only lists the sites i have visited.... :?