Plain Old Favorites Not Working 15.00 x64

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

ckani

Plain Old Favorites Not Working 15.00 x64

Unread post by ckani » 2012-09-26, 12:28

I just get a drop down list with add to favorites and organize favorites that does nothing.
I have done the bookmarks thing several times and they always get corrupted, lost etc.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Plain Old Favorites Not Working 15.00 x64

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-09-26, 13:45

First, please update Pale Moon to 15.1.1 - it fixes a number of stability and compatibility issues.

As for the add-on being problematic, you may want to have a look at this post: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... 7861#p7869
Maybe BlackLab can help you with this problem?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2012-09-26, 14:33

Not experienced any problems with PlainOldFavorites 1.2.1 in any of the Pale Moon 15.x versions once "maxVersion" problem overcome (see: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... 1029#p7410) and I did a completely clean install of Pale Moon 15.0 on Win 7 machine so all Add-ons including POF's had to be installed afresh! However both my POF's instances are running on 32-bit Windows OS' (an XP/SP3 and a Win 7/SP1) so I cannot confirm 64-bit situation.

If your Favorites running correctly in IE then it isn't immediately obvious why you would have a problem with POF's which is accessing same IE Favorites data files but from Pale Moon. Did POF's work correctly with Pale Moon 12.x 64-bit?

If so, it is possible there may be a deeper compatibility problem with all more recent 64-bit Mozilla based browser versions as suggested by this latest "User Review" posted on POF's Firefox Add-ons page: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... dfavorites which almost exactly matches your description above. Not good news! :thumbdown:
On 19 Sep 12 eRockCE wrote:
Does not work with Waterfox

Loved using POF with 32-bit Firefox! For the past several months I have been using Waterfox (64-bit implementation of FF) on 64-bit Windows 7. Attempted to use POF with Waterfox but it does not work. Bookmarks do not load below "Add to Favorites..." and "Organize Favorites..." The current version of Waterfox is 14.0.1.
Sadly this would probably be one for the developer Alex Sirota to fix properly! :( (I would be bereft.... like Moonchild and CoH/V closure! :) )
Time to jump on POF's homepage: http://www.iosart.com/firefox/plainoldfavorites/ and ask for some assistance via his Feedback "contact me" link?
EDIT: Alex Sirota released a new ColorZilla v2.8 on 31 July 12 so he's certainly around and aware of latest Mozilla code.

ckani

Unread post by ckani » 2012-09-28, 01:48

My guess it is a problem with x64 browsers. I tried waterfox x64 and the firefox nightly x64 and they had the same problem. I tried pm 32 bit and it worked fine. I msged the pof creator and asked about it.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2012-09-28, 15:30

@ ckani: Thanks for your information. Glad to hear you have contacted Alex Sirota directly - fingers crossed he will respond and issue a POF's update. :)

@ Moonchild: Appreciate this is obviously not a Pale Moon problem! However to the curious layman this seems a peculiar situation? All is well in 32-bit Mozilla browser versions.... and yet in 64-bit the Add-on partially works, draws correct Favorites dropdown box, etc.... but does not load any Favorites lists from IE. What seems odd to me is why this seemingly unchanged "Bookmarks" element of the Mozilla code base would now be sufficiently different between 32 and 64-bit versions to cause one to work and one fail? Have there been rather more significant changes in the 64-bit code/browser structure?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-09-28, 17:02

32-bit applications on 64-bit windows run on a "compatibility layer" (Windows-on-Windows64 or WOW64). As such the environment is different, for starters. I'm also not sure how "separated" 32-bit and 64-bit versions of IE are and if they would store favorites in a different location. It may be a matter of "default paths" being different; and the only real people who can look into this are the devs of the add-on. I simply think the add-on is looking in the wrong folder.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2012-09-28, 17:11

[color=#0000FF]Moonchild[/color] wrote:I simply think the add-on is looking in the wrong folder.
Thanks Moonchild. Before I found the "Does not work with Waterfox" post mentioned above I had written a reply to "ckani" exactly along lines you suggest - wondering if he had changed location of his Favorites data store at any point - I believe this can be done but have never seen the need to try this myself.

ckani

Unread post by ckani » 2012-09-28, 23:04

All favorites are listed under C:\Users\*Username*\Favorites\ for both 32 bit and 64 IE

I don't bother with bookmarks at all. After I put so many links and folders in them bookmarks become corrupted and has for years.
If I have a corruption problem in favorites it only affects one link.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-09-29, 07:27

ckani wrote:I don't bother with bookmarks at all. After I put so many links and folders in them bookmarks become corrupted and has for years.
If I have a corruption problem in favorites it only affects one link.
Well, just in case that happens, Pale Moon by default saves backups in HTML format. I've used many flavors of Firefox over the years with many folders and subfolders and my bookmarks have never become corrupted even once. If your favorites become corrupted as well, and it affects single files, then that corruption is related to a problem in your file system or storage hardware - you can't blame the browser for it.

ckani

Unread post by ckani » 2012-09-30, 05:32

Well it is more than that. Favorites can be reassigned to another location. In my instance I have 6 computers, 4 are desktops. Favorites are stored on a network drive and those computers share the same set of links/bookmarks. If I add a new link they all get the same link at the same time instead of managing a lot of different bookmarks. With the netbook and laptop they have local favorites but, automatically sync with the network favorites folder twice daily. This requires zero effort on my part as IE and pm/firefox (at least in 32 bit form) share the same set of links from all computers. If someone in the household prefers IE they have the same favorites/bookmarks as they do in firefox/pm on any computer. I use bookmarks basically for short term link storage.

If there is a way to share the same bookmarks with all browsers and all computers without intervention and keep each other updated let me know.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-09-30, 05:47

A solution: Have one computer with Plain Old Favorites in Pale Moon (one computer having 32-bit Pale Moon, it doesn't even have to be actively used) to provide the synchronization with IE favorites on the network share. In all Pale Moon browsers, set up Sync to automatically sync bookmarks between them.

See also: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how ... refox-sync

Note that your favorites corruption is most likely caused by your setup: Having them on a network share and having multiple copies of IE and/or POF access the same files at the same time can cause problems. Using the solution above will decrease the number of concurrent computers trying to access the files, and with it reduces the likelihood of corruption.

Note also that a "network share" is definitely not a standard setup for POF to use. It may have bugs in that situation.

ckani

Unread post by ckani » 2012-10-01, 00:18

Thanks Moonchild I will try this with two computers to see how it works out. The favorites thing only corrupted once because of a bad hdd on the network drive. One link became unreadable.