FireFTP not working after latest update

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

NancyJ

FireFTP not working after latest update

Unread post by NancyJ » 2016-11-24, 16:32

I can still connect to existing accounts but since the update whenever I try to edit or add an account I get the following error:

Code: Select all

XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
Line Number 216, Column 17:                <menu label="&charsetMenuMore1.label;" accesskey="&charsetMenuMore1.accesskey;" datasources="rdf:charset-menu" ref="NC:BrowserMore1CharsetMenuRoot">
----------------^
I found reference to this error from a FF user a while back but I'm not able to update my version of FireFTP, it wont let me - even when I selected "install anway" Palemoon wouldn't do it :/ I've been using FireFTP every day for 10 years, I need it!

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: FireFTP not working after latest update

Unread post by Falna » 2016-11-24, 17:19

I don't have an answer to your query, but am using FireFTP 2.0.28 without problem in v27, despite incompatibility warnings. Are you trying this version?

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2016-11-24, 18:22

2.0.28 works here. You should try the following:

1) remove the add-on
2) go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fireftp/
3) click download anyway
4) should work. Did exactly the same and see no problems.

or you try
1) Remove the add-on
2) download the file from https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/down ... tn-primary
3) type into the url the following: about:addons
4) install add-on from file - where pick the file you have downloaded a bit above
5) it should work without troubles. Worked also for me that way.

NancyJ

Unread post by NancyJ » 2016-11-25, 08:53

I've tried to install a later version but PaleMoon refuses to do it, it says "FireFTP could not be installed as it is not compatible with PaleMoon 27.0" - that's the same whichever way around I try to install it, either selecting "download anyway" or installing from the file.

I don't understand how you guys are able to use this version when for me PaleMoon refuses to install it - how can I force it to do what I tell it?

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2016-11-25, 09:48

Maybe you need to disable compatibility checking to install it - see https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=6431#p43287 (and Moonchild's warnings). I have it turned off...

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

drkenrich

Unread post by drkenrich » 2017-01-03, 02:14

Want to add my 2c worth.

I've recently come to PaleMoon because after Firefox from 3.0 to now, I finally got fed up with all the broken and screwed up problems with the recent updates to Firefox.

When I first installed PM I got FireFTP working just fine. But when I reinstalled it after a problem, I kept getting this "chrome" error message. I tried different suggestions, but the only one that worked was downloading and installing the addon to stop compatibility checking. With that, the latest version installs just fine and works great.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2017-01-03, 05:08

FireFTP 2.0.28 appears to be compatible with Pale Moon 27. However, installing Pale Moon 27 requires a modification to FireFTP's install.rdf file. Accordingly, PM27 was added as a target application in the install.rdf file of the following FireFTP xpi archive file. Also, PM 27 permits users to select small icons for the toolbar, whereas Firefox no longer does so. So, the relevant "overlay.css" file was also modified for PM.
fireftp-2.0.28-fx+sm+pm27.xpi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Katryne

Unread post by Katryne » 2017-03-21, 06:24

Merci beaucoup, Danke, Thank you.
It works like a charm, even with sFTP because of which I had left PaleMoon last year.
You must be an angel.
On the road again with PaleMoon !!!

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2017-03-21, 16:33

I sent a few emails back and forth to Mime Cuvalo, the creator of FireFTP. He had no idea that Firefox was dropping XUL support:
Mime Cuvalo wrote:
Woody Barrett (Shadeclan) wrote: --11 Jan 2017--
Mr. Cuvalo,
You may or may not be aware of this but Mozilla Firefox is dropping support for XUL add-ons and switching to Google Chrome-style add-ons. This will greatly limit the utility of most types of add-ons in the foreseeable future and I’m afraid FireFTP will be a casualty of this decision ...
--19 Jan 2017--
Thanks for the feedback, Woody - I'd love to eventually support all the browsers but I have limited time to that effect. I really do depend on the support of the community to help provide support for things. FireFTP will always be supported in Firefox, whether it has XUL or not. I would require extra support from the PaleMoon community to send me patches to help fix things though on their end - I think the community there is aware that they would need to help out to this effect!

Your particular issue does seem like an incompatibility error with PaleMoon - that's something that that community would have to help me address.
... but later realized he was in error ...
Mime Cuvalo wrote:
Woody Barrett (Shadeclan) wrote: --19 Jan 2017--
Mozilla will support only web extensions after 2017. Are you planning to rewrite FireFTP as a web or signed bootstrap extension - is that even possible? Developers will no longer be able to upload SDK, XUL or XPCOM type extensions to the Mozilla add-ons website. All the Firefox clones will be going the same way as Firefox so FireFTP won’t work after 2017 in its current iteration with anything but Pale Moon. Rewriting your extension as a web or signed bootstrap extension sounds like a lot more work than making the few small changes it would take to make it fully functional in Pale Moon. However, it’s your app.
--3 Feb 2017--
Hm, you're right - I thought for some reason it was only XUL that was going away - not all of XPCOM. Sigh, I'm talking with the Firefox team to see what can be done.
Thanks for raising the issue with me.
He seems set on supporting Firefox exclusively and getting help from the community for "browser patches". I wonder if, by now, he's realized that Mozilla couldn't care less about his or anyone else's add-on.

Katryne

Unread post by Katryne » 2017-03-21, 16:58

Do I understand correctly : PaleMoon will be the only, the last browser to support FireFTP ?
(Cyberbox is bound to close down at the end of the year...)
I have been using FirePTP since its beginnings and I chose my browser all these years according to this extension availability.

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2017-04-05, 17:32

Katryne wrote:Do I understand correctly : PaleMoon will be the only, the last browser to support FireFTP ?
(Cyberbox is bound to close down at the end of the year...)
I have been using FirePTP since its beginnings and I chose my browser all these years according to this extension availability.
Yup, that's pretty much the facts. Firefox will finish "Chrom-inizing" their browser by the end of the year - in fact, according to this article, they've already done so, so far as add-ons are concerned. If you care about (real) add-ons, Pale Moon [is] the only game in town. I should probably fire-up my copy of Firefox, update it and watch the fireworks ...

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2017-07-28, 10:32

Disabling the add-in pre installation check, even the last FireFTP v2.0.31 works fine in PM27.4

However, there are problems with the old version 2.0.19.1 theoretically the last compatible with PM27.4, installs properly but functions which open a window doesn't work (Edit,Tools-Import,..).
In PM26, FireFTP v2.0.19.1 works fine

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fireftp/versions/2.0.19.1-signed
Released May 18, 2014 850.1 KiB Works with Firefox 21.0 and later, SeaMonkey 2.1 and later

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Latest FireFTP does work in Pale Moon 27

Unread post by riiis » 2017-08-19, 02:45

dapgo wrote:Disabling the add-in pre installation check, even the last FireFTP v2.0.31 works fine in PM27.4
Pale Moon 27 was included as a target application, in the FireFTP version 2.0.31 install.rdf file (since January, 2017). So there should be no compatibility issues, using FireFTP version 2.0.31 in Pale Moon 27. However, FireFTP 2.0.31 cannot be installed directly from AMO. FireFTP must first be downloaded to your hard drive or other storage device, then installed in Pale Moon from that downloaded file.

FireFTP 2.0.31 is now shown at AMO as incompatible with Pale Moon 27. To download FireFTP 2.0.31 from AMO, first install the Moon Tester Tool from APMO. Then right-click the "+ Add to Firefox" button at AMO for FireFTP. Then click "Save Link As ..." to start the download.