Tab Utilities and PM 27

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

AndTheWolf
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Tab Utilities and PM 27

Unread post by AndTheWolf » 2016-11-24, 01:53

I'm not sure if I should start a new topic, since this is already being discussed under "Tree Style Tabs", and my problems with Tab Utilities are similar,...but since it has nothing to do with Tree Style Tabs a new topic seem right.

When I upgraded to PM 27 yesterday, Pale Moon would not start properly, until I dsabled Tab Utilities Phoenix 1_6pre9_1-signed_1-signed (I never thought to try starting PM twice). I installed Tab Mix Plus 0.5.0.1, which does not have the "tab history" function of carrying history over into new tabs, and PM 27 started without problems. I use the "tab history", and read in this forum that Tab Utilities 1.5.28.1.1-signed.1-signed worked in PM 27, so after disabling Tab Mix Plus I installed Tab Utilities and, as reported in the Tree Style Tabs topic, found I had to start Pale Moon twice in succession, and also that I could not close Pale Moon by closing the window, but that I could do a clean close by choosing "Exit" from the "File" menu. I have to decide if "tab history" is worth added inconvenience.

But Tab Utilities and PM 27 are not a match made in heaven.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Tab Utilities and PM 27

Unread post by Falna » 2016-11-24, 02:36

AndTheWolf wrote:I'm not sure if I should start a new topic, since this is already being discussed under "Tree Style Tabs", and my problems with Tab Utilities are similar,...but since it has nothing to do with Tree Style Tabs a new topic seem right.

When I upgraded to PM 27 yesterday, Pale Moon would not start properly, until I dsabled Tab Utilities Phoenix 1_6pre9_1-signed_1-signed (I never thought to try starting PM twice). I installed Tab Mix Plus 0.5.0.1, which does not have the "tab history" function of carrying history over into new tabs, and PM 27 started without problems. I use the "tab history", and read in this forum that Tab Utilities 1.5.28.1.1-signed.1-signed worked in PM 27, so after disabling Tab Mix Plus I installed Tab Utilities and, as reported in the Tree Style Tabs topic, found I had to start Pale Moon twice in succession, and also that I could not close Pale Moon by closing the window, but that I could do a clean close by choosing "Exit" from the "File" menu. I have to decide if "tab history" is worth added inconvenience.

But Tab Utilities and PM 27 are not a match made in heaven.
Switching from Tab Utilities to Tab Utilities Fixed 1.5.2016.07.31 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tab-utilities-fixed/ fixes the 'double start' problem (and with the exception of pinned tabs loosing their text, otherwise seems OK so far).

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2016-11-24, 13:10

Falna wrote:Switching from Tab Utilities to Tab Utilities Fixed 1.5.2016.07.31 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tab-utilities-fixed/ fixes the 'double start' problem (and with the exception of pinned tabs loosing their text, otherwise seems OK so far).
Just spotted that Tab Utilities Fixed has a display problem when reordering tabs. Not a problem for me (I only ever move things to the start or the end of the tab list) but not ideal.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

AndTheWolf
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by AndTheWolf » 2016-11-25, 22:43

Falna wrote:
Falna wrote:Switching from Tab Utilities to Tab Utilities Fixed 1.5.2016.07.31 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tab-utilities-fixed/ fixes the 'double start' problem (and with the exception of pinned tabs loosing their text, otherwise seems OK so far).

Thank you!

Tab Utilities 1.5.28.1.1-signed.1-signed was even worse than it first seemed. The first start of Pale Moon created an invisible control window, and the visible window created by the second start lost the FEBE button from the statusbar, and several Pale Moon menu options, such as "save page as" (which I often use), did not work (probably because their displays were in the invisible control window).

So far, at least , Tab Utilities Fixed 1.5.2016.07.3 works as I had hoped. No double start, no hidden control window with attendant effects. The tab history function works as it used to. I don't pin tabs, and I don't move tabs that often, so neither of those is a problem for me.

HaleSun
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by HaleSun » 2016-12-18, 17:11

I use Tab Utilities Fixed with multi-row tabs enabled and the inability to move tabs around as I please was almost a dealbreaker but I discovered an easy workaround!

It only involves changing two about:config options:

Code: Select all

browser.tabs.animate
set to false

extensions.tabutils.disableTabMoveAnimation
set to true

That's it.

HaleSun
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by HaleSun » 2016-12-19, 15:01

Another discovery. It turns out pinned tabs losing their text might actually be a feature called "Auto-faviconize pinned tabs".

It's another hidden setting you can change in TU Advanced options:

extensions.tabutils.pinTab.autoFaviconize
Setting this to false brings back pinned tab text.

I also recently noticed that whenever I used the "bookmark all" function, all my bookmarks are blue. Turns out this is because TU was saving session history (back/forward history) along with my tabs. Annoyingly this is enabled by default but can also be changed with a hidden toggle:

extensions.tabutils.bookmarkAllWithHistory
Setting this to false returns the "bookmark all" function to normal behavior.

There is actually plenty of info on the various settings and hidden prefs on the original Tab Utilities AMO page and the wiki:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... utilities/
https://github.com/ithinc/tabutils/wiki/_pages

Issues and bug reports should be submitted to the TU-fixed GitHub support page: https://github.com/yfdyh000/tabutils/issues/

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2016-12-19, 15:41

Good tips, HaleSun

extensions.tabutils.pinTab.autoFaviconize isn't working for me, but the others are.

Forked extensions :

VLMin
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by VLMin » 2017-06-07, 14:14

FYI, there is now Tab Utilities Phoenix 2, available via the versions page for this Firefox add-on. Version 2.x incorporates code from the Fixed version and has been updated specifically for Pale Moon 27.x.