Alternative add-ons after PM v27 removed Jetpack support?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

glocal

Alternative add-ons after PM v27 removed Jetpack support?

Unread post by glocal » 2016-11-22, 18:28

Now that v27 removed Jetpack support, Ghostery, All-in-One Sidebar, YouTube All HTML5 (among others) stopped working. Privacy Badger and Decentraleyes (any version) won't work either.

Any suggestions for alternatives to the affected add-ons above, please let me know. Personally, I wouldn't want to go without some form of trackers blocking.

Thanks.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Alternative add-ons after PM v27 removed Jetpack support?

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2016-11-22, 23:54

For Decentraleyes -- This thread links to a patched version: SDK-based extensions patched to run in Pale Moon 27.

For YouTube All HTML5 -- You might consider the script ViewTube (see Need a non sdk version of YouTube All HTML5) or the extension YouTube Flash Video Player which allows to toggle between FP and HTML5.

glocal

Unread post by glocal » 2016-11-23, 00:55

Many thanks. That version of Decentraleyes works fine. In the meanwhile, I realised that YouTube ALL HTML5 is not needed, as explained at the thread you quoted.

I am slowly discovering add-ons that claim to work but apparently don't (eg Download Statusbar, DownloadHelper).

One good thing is that with the transition I discovered uBlock Origin, which replaced Ghostery, Request Policy and Bluhell! Wondering now if it is worth keeping NoScript just for the XSS protection (I think I read somewhere PM offered XSS protection built-in but I am not sure).

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2016-11-23, 01:13

glocal wrote:(I think I read somewhere PM offered XSS protection built-in but I am not sure).
Yes, PM used to have built-in XSS protection, but the author of that was not able to accommodate the Pale Moon team in their buildup to the release of v27. The XSS filter might be added back to Pale Moon in the future if that author can find the time to re-write the XSS filter for PM v27.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

glocal

Unread post by glocal » 2016-11-23, 01:20

So, NoScript stays there for a while. Hopefully, PM will get that and we will need one less add-on :) Thanks for clarifying.

We are getting there. Just found another misbehaving add-on: Tab Mix Plus doesn't show the up/down scroll arrows next to the tab bar when you have more than x rows of tabs.

glocal

Unread post by glocal » 2016-11-23, 02:06

Since I mentioned Download Statusbar, in the meanwhile I found another one (Download Status bar) which claims to be more PM-friendly but it doesn't work with v27. It installs but won't show the extra bar at the bottom. I am contacting the creator to alert him as he specifically mentions PM.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ar/?src=ss

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2016-11-23, 03:16

For Download Status Bar, do you not see a Toggle option for it under (Alt) Tools > Download Status Bar?

glocal

Unread post by glocal » 2016-11-23, 03:23

The option is there, but it doesn't do anything. Does it work for anyone else?

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2016-11-23, 03:54

How about if you 'play' with some of the Options available from the Tools > Add-ons > Extensions > more button and then revisit the Toggle?

DoctorM
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by DoctorM » 2016-11-23, 04:12

Any suggestions for a 'Reload Plus' substitute? Love that add-on.

glocal

Unread post by glocal » 2016-11-23, 13:17

satrow wrote:How about if you 'play' with some of the Options available from the Tools > Add-ons > Extensions > more button and then revisit the Toggle?
I did this before with no effect. I tried again now and I managed to get it show the single green arrow. It refuses to show the wide file bars, which is the whole point of the add-on. Pause from its menu doesn't work either. I think I can safely conclude there is something wrong with it. I have alerted the developer.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2016-11-23, 13:31

glocal wrote:I did this before with no effect. I tried again now and I managed to get it show the single green arrow. It refuses to show the wide file bars, which is the whole point of the add-on. Pause from its menu doesn't work either. I think I can safely conclude there is something wrong with it. I have alerted the developer.
Okay, let's hope the dev is responsive :)

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-11-23, 13:36

As was stated in another post elsewhere on the forum, TabMixPlus has issues but the developer has shown willingness to add code for PaleMoon support in the past.

Since Mozilla will soon be doing away with all add-ons (including TMP) in its browser, the developer may decide to provide more support for TMP issues in PaleMoon. :coffee:

Moderate Add-On Junkies like myself would rejoice to see PaleMoon get more add-on support while Mozilla continues to shoot itself in the foot. :D

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-23, 14:00

DoctorM wrote:Any suggestions for a 'Reload Plus' substitute? Love that add-on.
Try patched version from this topic, but carefully read the warnings.

glocal

Unread post by glocal » 2016-11-23, 15:02

The icons for uBlock Origin and Clean Links disappear every now and then. I had to reinstate them several times since yesterday, which sometimes involved restarting PM because the icons did not always appear as available under "Customize...". This is important because these buttons are the only ways (I think) to adjust filtering behaviour while browsing a page. My experience so far is that several add-ons have issues that may not be immediately obvious.

GreenGeek

Unread post by GreenGeek » 2016-11-23, 15:19

Disappearing icons is nothing new for those two. I gave up on using Clean Links because of it. The developer of uBlock did try to fix it.

Okxa_

Unread post by Okxa_ » 2016-11-23, 20:22

Any alternative simple google translator plugins, such as Translate This!, which I used previously.

DoctorM
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by DoctorM » 2016-11-24, 05:44

JustOff wrote:
Try patched version from this topic, but carefully read the warnings.
Thanks. Worked a treat.
Only one more addon (FlashGot) needs fixing and I'll be happy with v27. I don't think that is a Jetpack issue though.

HaleSun
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by HaleSun » 2016-11-25, 03:30

glocal wrote:I am slowly discovering add-ons that claim to work but apparently don't (eg Download Statusbar, DownloadHelper).
For Download Statusbar replacement, try Download Manager (S3):
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... statusbar/
There's also Absolute Load Control:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... d-control/
Been using this for years without problems. Work fine with PM27.
Okxa_ wrote:Any alternative simple google translator plugins, such as Translate This!, which I used previously.
I am really liking S3.Google Translator:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ranslator/
That dictation function is very neat.

As for download helpers, I've always preferred external programs like IDM, which is updated very frequently so if there are problems contacting the devs usually gets it fixed.

lunalupus

Unread post by lunalupus » 2016-11-25, 09:18

Is there any way to get a GMail notifier?