Cookies Exterminator

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

JustOff

Cookies Exterminator

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-03, 16:11

I'd like to share my alternative to the well known Self-Destructing Cookies (SDC) extension, written in pure js without SDK. It was initially based on the Crush Those Cookies extension, but the internal logic was updated and extra features were added, both from the original SDC and unique.

Please take a time to carefully read the description on AMO, but always use the latest version from the history page to install (luckily Pale Moon users shouldn't wait for signing).

dark_moon

Re: Cookies Exterminator

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-11-03, 16:33

Thank you!

I remove Crush Thoses Cookies and install this. The whitelist was automatic included, nice!

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2016-11-03, 19:23

Now, that's a real SDC replacement. Well done. :thumbup:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-11-03, 19:52

Why don't the two of you collaborate perhaps between the two of you it could become even better.

Also do know that eventually due to Mozilla AMO API changes we will be gradually reducing our reliance on AMO. It is advisable for you to submit extensions to our add-ons site.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-03, 20:40

dark_moon wrote:The whitelist was automatic included
No whitelists are included, it likely has been imported from SDC.
wost_ wrote:Now, that's a real SDC replacement. Well done. :thumbup:
Thank you wost_ and you should know, that Cookies Exterminator hardly has been even born without Crush Those Cookies.
Matt A Tobin wrote:Also do know that eventually due to Mozilla AMO API changes we will be gradually reducing our reliance on AMO. It is advisable for you to submit extensions to our add-ons site.
If any problems arise, I'll do it, but as for now the AMO is preferred, since my extension also supports SeaMonkey and Firefox.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-11-03, 20:41

JustOff wrote:
dark_moon wrote:The whitelist was automatic included
No whitelists are included, it likely has been imported from SDC.
Yeah, i mean from Crush Thoses Cookies. My own whitelist.

GreenGeek

Unread post by GreenGeek » 2016-11-03, 20:45

Grey list and red list should be explained. (White list and black list are the only common usage.) Grey list appears to correspond to "Allow for session", although I first thought it might mean ask. Does red list mean "Never" allow? If so, isn't that blacklist? SDC only uses "white list" which includes both allow and allow for session. [I could cheat and look at the code but I'm trying to act like a regular user.]

I'm keeping CTC for now, for the same reason I eat pork-n-beans and don't wear shiny shoes -- because simple is better.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-03, 21:02

GreenGeek, the red list isn't actually policy list, like white or black. As I wrote in the description on AMO it is "separate tab in the options, named Redlist, where you can load the list of all domains that already have cookies and selectively add them to white or grey list". So, it's just for convenient management, you may just ignore it if you wish.

As for SDC, it actually uses both white and grey lists, but they are managed from single interface. They have the same meaning in Cookies Exterminator too.
dark_moon wrote:Yeah, i mean from Crush Thoses Cookies. My own whitelist.
That's also is unlikely, as Cookies Exterminator imports only from SDC, who uses system cookies exceptions list.

karlkracher
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by karlkracher » 2016-11-03, 21:14

Thank you

looks interesting. But why have i to add something like adomainwhichdoesntexist.org to the white list to keep it in active state? I never have a cookie which i want to preserve, a empty white list should be ok.

superA

Unread post by superA » 2016-11-03, 21:19

A couple of things I've noticed,

If you don't add something in the whitelist the addon does not work, right? At least I could not make it work, since I add ''google.com'' in the whitelist, the extension started working.So if I don't want anything in that lists, that means no active add on?
Secondly, it seems the 10 sec.delay it's locked, CTC do has the option to minimize the grace period to 1 sec.But even with the default 10sec. clean delay, cookies are removed randomly here between 3 to 8 seconds.

Last, is it possible to add an ''automatically clean cache'' option as SDC has?

Other than that, the extension work ( just doesn't work for my liking :D ) crazy fast, it is like not installed !!

wost_

Unread post by wost_ » 2016-11-03, 21:41

One thing, I can't test this on Linux at the moment but there was an issue with CTC and closing browser's window. You might want to look into https://github.com/wsdfhjxc/crush-those ... s/issues/9 and a related commit.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-03, 23:10

karlkracher wrote:why have i to add something like adomainwhichdoesntexist.org to the white list to keep it in active state
Please, consider this little inconvenience as a small price for the latest warning, made to prevent any accidential data loss, right after installation.
superA wrote:If you don't add something in the whitelist the addon does not work, right?
I'm sorry, but are you really read the description, as I've asked to?)
superA wrote:Secondly, it seems the 10 sec.delay it's locked
10 seconds is minimal delay, it was done intentionally.
superA wrote:But even with the default 10sec. clean delay, cookies are removed randomly here between 3 to 8 seconds.
Any cleaning job tries to remove all unused and unprotected data, so sometimes some cookies can be deleted a little sooner than delay specified in options.
superA wrote:Last, is it possible to add an ''automatically clean cache'' option as SDC has?
Actually, I'm against any regular background tasks, but we will see.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-03, 23:20

wost_ wrote:One thing, I can't test this on Linux at the moment but there was an issue with CTC and closing browser's window.
Thank you for sharing this with me, actually there was a problem on the Mac too. But in 2.7.7 I've completely changed the windows handling routine, so all is ok now.

karlkracher
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by karlkracher » 2016-11-03, 23:48

JustOff wrote:Please, consider this little inconvenience as a small price for the latest warning, made to prevent any accidential data loss, right after installation.
Not only right after installation.

What i've done: Installed it, loaded the red list and added a cookie from the red list to the white list. Then a activated cookie exterminator. So far so good. Then i deleted the entry from the white list, did a click to accept and got the message "Active mode was disabled because Whitelist is empty".

Is it possible to have some kind of variable firstrun like this pseudo javascript

Code: Select all

function onApply() {
    if (firstrun && checkWhitelistEmpty()) {
        firstrun = false;
        Services.obs.notifyObservers(window, "cookextermPrefsEvent", "Apply");
        window.close();
    }
}

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-11-04, 01:08

Too confusing! But good try anyways. I'll stick with CTC.

Thank you both for providing an alternative to SDC. :)
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-04, 10:07

karlkracher wrote:Is it possible to have some kind of variable firstrun
I had in mind that you can use your adomainwhichdoesntexist.org trick as such variable and to consider it as a little inconvenience and so on. And note, the most common complaint among original SDC users is about accidental data loss, including by reason of the loss of the white list. That is why I set this fuse in Cookies Exterminator to work permanently.
LimboSlam wrote:Too confusing! But good try anyways. I'll stick with CTC.
Thank you both for providing an alternative to SDC. :)
You are always welcome to choose!

hobbledehoy899

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2016-11-04, 14:02

wost_ wrote:One thing, I can't test this on Linux at the moment but there was an issue with CTC and closing browser's window. You might want to look into https://github.com/wsdfhjxc/crush-those ... s/issues/9 and a related commit.
I'm on Linux Mint 18 and have been experiencing this very same problem.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-04, 15:51

hobbledehoy899 wrote:I'm on Linux Mint 18 and have been experiencing this very same problem.
Are you using Cookies Exterminator version 2.7.7?

hobbledehoy899

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2016-11-04, 17:28

JustOff wrote:Are you using Cookies Exterminator version 2.7.7?
I don't experience the window closing issue at all with CE, only with CTC (which I'll use no longer.)

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2016-11-05, 04:57

@JustOff: I've figured it out, guess I was tired yesterday. My bad. :) On that note, could we have the feature: "Enable strict domain and subdomain checking," please. This was pretty neat as I could whitelist just docs.google.com, forum.palemoon.org, instead of the whole domain.

Thanks!

-PS: Why doesn't CE detect CTC whitelist? Can this be fixed or added?
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime