Cookies Exterminator

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Cookies Exterminator

Unread post by Falna » 2017-04-17, 10:25

PhilK wrote:
GreenGeek wrote:PhilK, you might want to try CrushThoseCookies by _wost. (Best suited to people who appreciate the KISS principle.)
Thanks. I may do that at some point, but I kinda liked the idea of using an extension by "one of our own" here in the Pale Moon world. (Even if for no other reason than I probably won't have to worry about PM compatibility, at least for a while)
Crush Those Cookies is written specifically for PM too: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/crush-those-cookies/

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-04-17, 23:28

dark_moon wrote:I remove Crush Thoses Cookies and install this. The whitelist was automatic included imported, nice!
When I installed Cookies Exterminator over Crush Those Cookies, my whitelist was not imported. I wonder it worked for you and not for me? :think:
JustOff wrote:...because...CE and CTC treat exceptions lists differently, there is no import of whitelist from CTC to CE.
So it looks like it's not support to import the whitelist from CTC. So I still wonder why it worked for you, dark_moon! :shifty:
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-04-18, 14:13

gracious1 wrote:
dark_moon wrote:I remove Crush Thoses Cookies and install this. The whitelist was automatic included imported, nice!
When I installed Cookies Exterminator over Crush Those Cookies, my whitelist was not imported. I wonder it worked for you and not for me? :think:
I guess dark_moon meant "was imported from Self-Distructed Cookies" that was installed initially, before Crush Those Cookies :coffee:

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-04-20, 19:31

Yeah.
I use SDC before Crush Thoses Cookies and then Cookie Exterminator so i think CE import SDC stuff

justmix4

Unread post by justmix4 » 2017-05-08, 12:37

Hello.
Unfortunately this add-on doesn't work for me.
I have no idea why, maybe some of you had a similar problem. All pages that are in the whitelist anyway have cookies removed, very strange.

Pale Moon 27.3 Portable
Screenshots:
1) Main browser settings

2) Settings of pages where I want to keep active logging.

Can anyone with this add-on work be able to show screen of their main settings? I would be grateful. Regards.

///////////////
back2themoon wrote:Many thanks for your work JustOff. It seems to work fine with the below settings too, even if the AMO description indicates otherwise?
cookext.jpg
It seems that using these settings everything works. Thanks for this useful extension!

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-05-08, 13:19

xm444 wrote:.All pages that are in the whitelist anyway have cookies removed, very strange.
Doesn't seem strange, from your settings it appears you are asking Pale Moon to clear cookies every time it closes, regardless of what any extension does.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-11, 03:23

JustOff wrote:As for SDC, it actually uses both white and grey lists, but they are managed from single interface. They have the same meaning in Cookies Exterminator too.
Coming late to the conversation, but I'm only just now looking for an alternative to my current cookie-crushing extension. Could you explain what a greylist is? I looked at the AMO description of both CE and SDC, and neither one actually defines it as opposed to whitelist.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-05-11, 10:19

CE auto-erases cookies and local storage objects as soon as they are no longer used by open browser tabs. Whitelist and greylist both protect from such cleaning, but all cookies and local storage objects from greylist are forcibly removed on each browser restart.

- Garry

Unread post by - Garry » 2017-08-12, 08:02

JustOff wrote:CE auto-erases cookies and local storage objects as soon as they are no longer used by open browser tabs. Whitelist and greylist both protect from such cleaning, but all cookies and local storage objects from greylist are forcibly removed on each browser restart.
Very late, but I want to thank you very much for that very nice extension.
It's most valuable and works really nice, but I have a suggestion which is needed for users who are not really cookie/web-tech aware:
Implement a second timer for cookies from visited (opened by bookmark or URL etc.) sites.
Since CE determines it it's needed or not by "open" URLs, this information should already be available.

Advantage: Lazy users needn't bother with grey/whitelists.

Example:
Say I visit www.inter.net and get cookies from singleklick.net, inter.net and some more.
Now if I get redirected from www.inter.net to pay.3rdpartybank.net, I love to see cookies beeing deleted after 10 seconds which came from singleklick.net, but the ones which came from inter.net shouldn't be deleted before a much longer timeout lapses - say 10 minutes. So I can safely pay and return within 10 minutes without having to remember to switch to grey!

Thanks,

-Garry

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-08-20, 14:58

- Garry wrote:I have a suggestion which is needed for users who are not really cookie/web-tech aware:
Implement a second timer for cookies from visited (opened by bookmark or URL etc.) sites.
Since CE determines it it's needed or not by "open" URLs, this information should already be available.
Sorry, but I doubt that such logic can bring useful results.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-09-22, 17:42

IndexedDB support has been added in the new beta version of Cookies Exterminator.
palemoon_2017-09-22_21-01-42.png
Websites to test: https://weather.com, https://go.twitch.tv. Bug reports are welcomed as usual.
Last edited by JustOff on 2017-09-22, 18:58, edited 3 times in total.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-09-22, 17:50

Awesome! :thumbup:

hobbledehoy899

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2017-09-23, 01:20

Wow, I can't believe that you're making this extension even better! This is great!

Guillaume

Unread post by Guillaume » 2017-11-08, 16:57

PhilK wrote:
JustOff wrote:
PhilK wrote:While I can understand your reasoning, I do think subdomain-level granularity can be helpful ...
Trust me, you can hardly provide actual example 'cause even google services store the most of cookies at tld level. Just block them all or keep, the strict exceptions are not useful.
Ex, various content-delivery and proxy networks like akamai and cloudfront.net often times have specific subdomains for particular customers that must be enabled for things like scripts or cookies or else those websites won't work properly. But I absolutely do not want to give the green light for any site using "cloudfront.net" or "wordpress.com" or Akamai/Cloudflare/Incapsula/etc to run scripts or store cookies on my browsers whenever they feel like it.

Not to mention domains that I own or have direct control over.

That said, I view this sort of thing as more critical for a script-blocker than a cookie storage blocker.
I thought that a workaround would be to actively block the subdomains' cookies in Pale Moon's own cookies exception list, but it seems that this is completely ignored.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-14, 10:08

Noticed that the "Cleaned cookies..." popup remains displayed for sometimes nearly 20 seconds (longer than has been the case in the past) before it closes and if the browser itself is closed because of this longer time delay to close the popup it never closes after the browser closes (has to be closed with close "x" button). Also perhaps because of this longer delay to close the popup it seems a bit inconsistent at times (either not displaying at all sometimes or far longer delays before it eventually displays, i.e. 15-20 seconds to display, besides the longer delay to close once it does display i.e. up to 20 seconds).

I may be mistaken but it seems like this started with PMv27.6.0.

Not a big deal, but just thought I'd mention it since I've noticed this recently.

Anyone else notice?
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-11-14, 10:18

Pale Moon Rising wrote:I may be mistaken but it seems like this started with PMv27.6.0.
Yes, see release notes:
  • Increased the default duration of notification pop-ups and made them configurable.
and how to configure.

PS: I think 20 seconds default is too much, but this was aligned with Firefox and Chrome.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-14, 10:39

^ thanks -- changed it to 7 secs (seems to me 7-10 is plenty [anything more too long], former 4 sec default was admittedly a bit quick).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

oscar

Unread post by oscar » 2017-11-14, 11:36

I have problems with both cookies exterminator and crush those cookies. tried both and they seem to behave in the same way: sometimes they report that cookies have been removed; but not allways. when I check palemoons privacy section, they still remain even though I got the message that they were crushed. I whitelisted one site as default; as I get the impression that you have to whitelist at least one in order to make both add-ons work. I only accept cookies in the palemoon preferences when I need them and never allow third party cookies. when I'm done I close the site and return to the preferences to uncheck cookies allowances. I always set "use custom settings for history" and " clear history when palemoon closes". cookies are set to " keep untill they expire ". I suppose my settings causes the problem when both add ons behave the same way?

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-11-14, 11:52

oscar wrote:sometimes they report that cookies have been removed; but not allways
Do I understand correctly that your problem concerns only the fact that notifications are sometimes not displayed?

oscar

Unread post by oscar » 2017-11-14, 15:11

I have two problems:
1 popups dont allways appear
2 when popups do appear to inform me, that cookies are crushed, they still remain when I check palemoons privacy settings. but When i check the log in cookies exterminator, it lists the amount and time they were crushed. I don't know if the fact that my OS is 16.04 ubunty matters?