Extended Error Console for Pale Moon 27+

General discussion, compatibility and contributed extensions.

Moderators: satrow, Lootyhoof, FranklinDM

shf84

Re: Extended Error Console for Pale Moon 27+

Post by shf84 » 2016-11-24, 10:24

Hi, I'am an extension developer and since Pale Moon ver.27 some of my extension's functions work not properly. Trying to debug the extension with the "console.log()" statements, I found out that the Browser Console window is no longer available. I've installed the Developer Tools extension and the OP's extension Error Console but they do not show me messages from my extension code like the Browser Console did. Could anyone point me how am I supposed to debug my extension and fix it without the Browser Console window? :wtf: Thanks in advance!

User avatar
ketmar
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 362
Joined: 2015-07-28, 11:10
Location: Earth

Re: Extended Error Console for Pale Moon 27+

Post by ketmar » 2016-11-24, 11:15

there is nothing very special in that "console" object, it is just a wrapper for system console interface:

Code: Select all

const conService = Cc["@mozilla.org/consoleservice;1"].getService(Ci.nsIConsoleService);
function conlog (str) conService.logStringMessage(str);

User avatar
JustOff
Localization Coordinator
Localization Coordinator
Posts: 1850
Joined: 2015-09-03, 19:47
Location: UA
Contact:

Re: Extended Error Console for Pale Moon 27+

Post by JustOff » 2016-11-24, 11:18

You could also try Components.utils.reportError or dump.
Here are the add-ons I made in a spare time. That was fun!

win7-7
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 177
Joined: 2013-09-16, 15:18
Location: --

Re: Extended Error Console for Pale Moon 27+

Post by win7-7 » 2016-11-24, 15:34

shf84 wrote:Hi, I'am an extension developer and since Pale Moon ver.27 some of my extension's functions work not properly. Trying to debug the extension with the "console.log()" statements, I found out that the Browser Console window is no longer available. I've installed the Developer Tools extension and the OP's extension Error Console but they do not show me messages from my extension code like the Browser Console did. Could anyone point me how am I supposed to debug my extension and fix it without the Browser Console window? :wtf: Thanks in advance!
Or if you want Mozilla devtools be available in Pale Moon you could compile Pale Moon from source with Mozilla devtools enabled in .mozconfig?

I compile from source personally with devtools enabled as I want Mozilla devtools.

User avatar
0strodamus
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 104
Joined: 2014-11-19, 19:48
Location: US

Re: Extended Error Console for Pale Moon 27+

Post by 0strodamus » 2016-11-24, 23:53

Would you mind listing the exact .mozconfig options you used to enable the devtools, ie "ac_add_options --enable-devtools"?
archlinux | OpenRC | TOMOYO Linux | Xfce

"In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."

User avatar
trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer
Posts: 1566
Joined: 2013-05-20, 18:19
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Extended Error Console for Pale Moon 27+

Post by trava90 » 2016-11-25, 02:58

0strodamus wrote:Would you mind listing the exact .mozconfig options you used to enable the devtools, ie "ac_add_options --enable-devtools"?
That is the correct mozconfig option.

User avatar
0strodamus
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 104
Joined: 2014-11-19, 19:48
Location: US

Re: Extended Error Console for Pale Moon 27+

Post by 0strodamus » 2016-11-26, 18:11

Thanks trava90! :thumbup:
archlinux | OpenRC | TOMOYO Linux | Xfce

"In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."

thosrtanner
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 247
Joined: 2014-05-10, 18:19
Location: UK

Re: Extended Error Console for Pale Moon 27+

Post by thosrtanner » 2017-04-15, 10:34

I am moderately confused by this thread because under my tools/web developer menu there is 'browser console'. And it works fine. So which browser console is it that is no longer there?

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 25408
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58°2'16"N 14°58'31"E
Contact:

Re: Extended Error Console for Pale Moon 27+

Post by Moonchild » 2017-04-15, 12:11

thosrtanner wrote:I am moderately confused by this thread because under my tools/web developer menu there is 'browser console'. And it works fine. So which browser console is it that is no longer there?
This is no longer relevant since we reintroduced and fixed up the devtools, as well as having the toolkit error console available.
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne
Image

thosrtanner
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 247
Joined: 2014-05-10, 18:19
Location: UK

Re: Extended Error Console for Pale Moon 27+

Post by thosrtanner » 2017-04-15, 12:27

Moonchild wrote:
thosrtanner wrote:I am moderately confused by this thread because under my tools/web developer menu there is 'browser console'. And it works fine. So which browser console is it that is no longer there?
This is no longer relevant since we reintroduced and fixed up the devtools, as well as having the toolkit error console available.
Oh, right. Thanks

User avatar
Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist
Posts: 1316
Joined: 2012-02-09, 23:35
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Extended Error Console for Pale Moon 27+

Post by Lootyhoof » 2017-04-15, 16:24

Moonchild wrote:
thosrtanner wrote:I am moderately confused by this thread because under my tools/web developer menu there is 'browser console'. And it works fine. So which browser console is it that is no longer there?
This is no longer relevant since we reintroduced and fixed up the devtools, as well as having the toolkit error console available.
This is the support thread for Error Console², an extension that does still work and its intended purpose is to provide more information than the standard Toolkit error console, which it does do (in my experience, at least). It's only as relevant as the Toolkit error console is.

As for whether people should use the browser console or the Toolkit error console (either with or without Error Console²), that is mostly up to personal preference, I'd say.

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 25408
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58°2'16"N 14°58'31"E
Contact:

Re: Extended Error Console for Pale Moon 27+

Post by Moonchild » 2017-04-15, 16:27

Sorry if I caused confusion here - I just meant to say that the initial posts in this thread are no longer relevant (it having started out as a necessity for not having devtools in the browser in initial releases of pale Moon 27).
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne
Image

Locked