Extension updates and UA spoofers

General discussion, compatibility and contributed extensions.

Moderators: satrow, Lootyhoof, Andrew Gilbertson

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Extension updates and UA spoofers

Postby Moonchild » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:18 am

Looking over our logs, I noticed an issue with some of our users, so I'll state this clearly here:

If you use a user-agent spoofing extension, it is possible that your extension updates will be blocked by our update server if it detects an incorrect/fake/non-Pale Moon user-agent knocking at its door. This means that you will not get updates to your extensions as long as you spoof the user-agent to be something different than what it is supposed to be. It's also possible you will be sent an incompatible update, which may break your browser.

Using a user-agent spoofer is a risk for accessibility on many sites on the web, and can and will interfere with services, as this here demonstrates. I will likely also interfere with application updates of the browser itself, so be extremely careful when and where you employ this kind of extension, and disable automatic updates if you do!
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

New Tobin Paradigm
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Extension updates and UA spoofers

Postby New Tobin Paradigm » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:23 pm

Seeing as we have Site Specific User Agent Overrides.. Globally changing your user agent should not be required to deal with stubborn sites..
[ T O B I N W A V E ]

JustOff
Localization Coordinator
Localization Coordinator

Postby JustOff » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:54 pm

It's nice to see that you are concerned about properly extension updating, but could you please also make any comment about the problem of updating within beta channel, that I've raised almost 10 months ago?
Here are the add-ons I made in a spare time. That was fun!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Postby Moonchild » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:10 pm

Off-topic:
JustOff wrote:It's nice to see that you are concerned about properly extension updating, but could you please also make any comment about the problem of updating within beta channel, that I've raised almost 10 months ago?

app.php/rules#rule-2b -- We have this rule for a reason.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

New Tobin Paradigm
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Postby New Tobin Paradigm » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:56 pm

I am sorry for this sight oversight, JustOff, thank you for past and presently bring this to our attention. Your older thread must have slipped through the cracks.

HOWEVER, if you find things like this in the future could you please file an issue against the Phoebus repository so that I am assured to have a record of any issues with Automatic Update Service for add-ons?

It would be helpful.

Re: Incorrectly always using release channel for Add-ons AUS.. RESOLVED FIXED in https://github.com/Pale-Moon-Addons-Team/phoebus/commit/fe3dd99893cbe639b9d91abdc3666a9bf4bc4f51
[ T O B I N W A V E ]

JustOff
Localization Coordinator
Localization Coordinator

Postby JustOff » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:43 pm

Thanks Matt and once again sorry for violating app.php/rules#rule-2b, I'll try to respect the rules.
Here are the add-ons I made in a spare time. That was fun!

Return to “Browser extensions”