[Solved] Add-on trouble: Versions (wfx_Versions) 1.0

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

MoonMist

[Solved] Add-on trouble: Versions (wfx_Versions) 1.0

Unread post by MoonMist » 2012-08-30, 17:19

Hello Community

since a long time I have been a quiet Palemoon user, I am glad for the efforts of maintenance and constant improvements!
Unfortuantely I am using the portable version from the beginnig and a lot stuff might be from older addons and such, but I was too lazy to set it up anew. There are countless changes to about:config I can not remember...
So this as first information.

Starting this topic about an old addon, never flagged as compatible for my Firefox/Palemoon version, but working flawless ever since.
Versions (wfx_Versions) 1.0 by aNDreas Bolotă (mozilla link and author website)
Description says:
Allows you to find out the current version number of any program downloadable online. Emulates the behavior of Versions (© Fabio Chelly) file-system plugin for Total Commander (© Christian Ghisler).
So the addon opens a window where you can add a list of websites to check for changes in version numbers for example. And from this window you can press "scan" to see the list being checked.I have around 30 entries in 2 lists.

With the new version of Palemoon (15.0) it is not working properly, stopping at a certain pointand doing nothing. Some times it is doing fine for 5 entries, another time up to 15...
So is there some kind of a timer, how a script like this might run..? I am not familiar with any technical details, so I tried to describe what I have noticed.

As mentioned before the addon is totally outdated, but besides the Palemoon itself I did not change anything within my browser (okay some plugin updates, java and flash).
Is here anyone else using this addon? Or has a similar in use to get personalized notification about updated software? I'd also like to know about it.

steviem1

Re: Add-on trouble: Versions (wfx_Versions) 1.0

Unread post by steviem1 » 2012-08-30, 20:32

Sometimes add-ons can be made compatible by changing the maxVersion no. which may be the only restriction why it won't work, however there is an alternative called 'Is It Compatible' https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ompatible/ which checks the version numbers, together with Pale Moon's built in add-ons updater works fine.

MoonMist

Unread post by MoonMist » 2012-08-31, 00:02

Thank you for your first answer.
I have just downloaded the addon and checked its rdf file:
<em:targetApplication> <!-- Firefox -->
<Description>
<em:id >{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id>
<em:minVersion>1.5</em:minVersion>
<em:maxVersion>3.7a2pre</em:maxVersion>
</Description>
So it is marked as incompatible since ages... editing the max version number has helped me for long time without any trouble.
Your mentioned addon Is It Compatible? will read and show the information from rdf files then?

Testing it again: the progress stops at a random point and each entry on my list will cause the time out to trigger (you can set this in preferences to any number in seconds I guess).
My conclusion: something inside of Palemoon/Firefox is blocking it to connect to the given websites.

Let me explain why I want to use an application like this:
Most programs are in portable versions and each has been set to no auto update, I want to control it by myself. Sure it's some extra work, but I want to know what has changed. So with this browser addon I specified 3 urls: main apllication homepage, download site with version number and direct link to the changelog (if public available).
Basically I got used to this workflow. But there are some alternative solutions, old comparison here and there.

At first I would like to find a workaround for the trouble with the named addon.

steviem1

Unread post by steviem1 » 2012-08-31, 07:08

It seems, as this add-on is so old you've done very well to keep it functional for so long. The maxVersion no. is not the only determining factor in add-on compatibilty as you have found, some will continue to work for some time regardless.

When an add-on ceases to work and is no longer being maintained, your only recourse is to contact the developer who may be willing to help with a workaround.

Failing that, try to find an alternative that might meet your requirements, you've already had a cursory look at some. From what you have said, the suggested 'Is It Compatible' add-on is probably too basic for you as it only checks and displays add-on version numbers next to the entry in add-ons manager.

Edit: Had a quick look at the add-on after hacking it, ran the scanner to completion using the default lists. Yes many of the targets are unreachable, possibly dead links or blocked? even after increasing the timeout limits. As you are using your own customised lists, check the entries to make sure they're not corrupted, also try to access the update websites manually to see if the links are valid, try starting from scratch by re-entering your preferred websites and run a scan. As a last resort contact the developer if possible, to see if he can shed some light on the problem.

MoonMist

Unread post by MoonMist » 2012-09-06, 23:53

Apologies for my late reply, but I have been following the thread quietly.
Meanwhile a user reported on mozilla addons board the exact same behaviour.

Of course your suggestion to contact the plug-ins author is a wise one, but hardly possible for me (although there is an old email address).

But I am even more excited about your message steviem1, do you really ran the scanner to completion using the default lists ??
So this are good news, the websites I am checking are working in my browser, only a few dead links (or maybe timeout errors).
I was hoping to find some interested developer who could look at the code of this addon, however I will look for alternatives.

Found a few more I will check soon
WebMon
WebVersions

Thank you for your efforts to help me!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-09-07, 08:28

Pale Moon 15 has a fundamental change to the way memory space is handled by add-ons. This is most likely the cause of your halts.
Unfortunately it means your old add-on must be updated to work with the new way of handling by the browser. The add-on developer can probably find useful information in the error console (it will probably record errors there pointing to specific lines of code in the add-on) to fix this issue, if they are willing to make an update to it.
Otherwise, it's indeed best to check for alternatives.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

MoonMist

Unread post by MoonMist » 2012-09-08, 23:01

Thank you for clarification!
Somehow the behaviour is not constant, nor predictable... right now it was working properly. Checking my list from top to bottom.

Yesterday I have tranfered my list to the mentioned program WebVersions. It is working but pretty slow compared to firefox add-on.

MoonMist

Unread post by MoonMist » 2012-09-16, 09:07

Unfortunately I could not find an "edit post button", so excuse my second post right after another.

I would like to tell you this matter is considered closed by me.
The addon is somehow working again and in another case I have a mediocre alternative set up.
So thank you for your help.