Tab Utilities [Lite] - toolbar icon issue

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

zalbard

Tab Utilities [Lite] - toolbar icon issue

Unread post by zalbard » 2012-08-29, 13:29

Hello,

I seem to have run into a small problem.

There are two quite useful add-ons from the same developer: Tab Utilities and Tab Utilities Lite.

Both of them have a small issue with Pale Moon only (not Firefox). Basically, if I add Undo Close Tab button to my toolbar, it has no icon. However, in Customize Toolbar window, it does. Also, another button from the same add-on (Tab Utilities Lite Options button) works just fine, there are no icon issues.

All of the versions of these add-ons seem to have this bug. The developer says that this is a Pale Moon specific issue, and thus it is on low priority list. So my question is, can we fix it by ourselves? I'd greatly appreciate this, I've been living with this problem for months now. Thanks! ;)

P.S. I use Pale Moon 15.0 x64.

steviem1

Re: Tab Utilities [Lite] - toolbar icon issue

Unread post by steviem1 » 2012-08-30, 12:16

Hmm, as a long time fan of Tab Utilities, concerned when it locked up my Tabs Bar after upgrading to PM 15 x32 and relieved when I found the latest T.U. 1.1.5 worked with no glitches. I am minimalist when it comes to toolbar icons, but just transferred the 'Undo Close Tab' button over to my toolbar and the icon appears. When you say there is no icon, does it show anything or does it not appear and is therefore unusable - you may have customised or stylised toolbars causing this - Try it again after loading PM into a clean profile and see if it appears then?

zalbard

Unread post by zalbard » 2012-08-30, 18:33

Yeah, reinstalling doesn't seem to help me. Can you try installing x64 version to see if you can reproduce the issue?

And yes, I can see the button regardless. It just has no arrow icon. What's funny is, it does when I select it from the menu to put on my toolbar.

I admit I haven't tried Pale Moon 32-bit. Could it be a bug with the x64 version?

Anyway, I got in contact with the developer again, and he provided me with a fix.

Code: Select all

#undoclosetab-button {
  list-style-image: url("jar:resource://app/chrome/browser.jar!/skin/classic/browser/Toolbar.png") !important;
}
Just FYI, this is the code I replaced:

Code: Select all

#undoclosetab-button {
  list-style-image: url("chrome://tabutils/skin/toolbar.png");
  -moz-image-region: rect(0px, 16px, 16px, 0px);
}
It resolved the issue for me.

Wonder why Pale Moon x64 wouldn't work with the official implementation of 1.1.5 release, though... :think:

steviem1

Unread post by steviem1 » 2012-08-30, 19:11

Add-on developers are having a hard time keeping up with rapid new Firefox releases basically, this one is obviously one of the better ones by providing a solution so quick. As to why Tab utilities 1.1.5 doesn't function correctly in x64 but does in x32 - slight code differences I guess. FYI there is a newer version of Tab utilities 1.2 RC1 which might work.

zalbard

Unread post by zalbard » 2012-08-30, 21:07

Another word from the dev.
I officially use "resource://app/chrome/browser/skin/classic/browser/Toolbar.png" for Fx6+, which seems invalid on Pale Moon, instead of "jar:resource://app/chrome/browser.jar!/skin/classic/browser/Toolbar.png".
Could Moonchild chime in on this one? I am curious if that's the case. Oh, and btw, I have no clue about the difference of these, I am just happy stuff works. :thumbup:

zalbard

Unread post by zalbard » 2013-02-23, 01:52

I hate to bring this up, but once again, the issue is back with Pale Moon 19, and the new version of both Tab Utilities and Tab Utilities Light. I even tried the new beta (developer) version. No go, the icon does not show up once the button is placed on the toolbar (but it shows up fine in the list when I am dragging it to the toolbar).

And I don't know how to fix this any more since it uses the CSS settings file for FF14+, and it looks completely different to the FF6+ CSS file which I modified before. The addon works fine with ordinary Firefox.

What shall I do? I like the addon a lot.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

steviem1

Unread post by steviem1 » 2013-02-23, 17:39

Both ''Tab Utilities'' and ''Tab Mix Plus'', the one I now use seem to have ongoing problems with toolbar icons not appearing as they should in current PM versions, though I must say this tends not to inconvenience me too much.... really it's a case of contacting the developer again to make it function correctly in PM... this is one of the minor negatives with using a non-mainstreem browser, I guess.

Apollo702

Unread post by Apollo702 » 2013-02-24, 02:52

I long ago contacted the TU developer about these issues and the solution isn't coming. He outright refuses to fix them. A few months ago TU was barely working and I withdrew my 5 star rating of it and posted a one star rating to push him to do some badly needed fixes. It wasn't until I asked some of my followers to start one-starring TU that action got taken- and the icons still didn't get fixed.

I consider TU to be one of my top 10 add-ons but yesterday it apparently was the source of mega conflicts with PM 19 until it's update took hold- but even the TU update took several updates to take! I am also going to investigate if security programs are creating some strange conflicts and behaviors. In many ways I am hesitating to post just how many bugs I encountered early on and which went away because I am pressed for time and it will take time to gather my bearings and figure it all out.

Anyways, since that TU buttons will probably never work correctly there are good replacements to be found in the Toolbar Buttons add-on. It has something like 100 control icons and you can pick and choose the ones you like- including a working "undo closed tab" button.

zalbard

Unread post by zalbard » 2013-02-24, 03:53

Apollo702 wrote:I long ago contacted the TU developer about these issues and the solution isn't coming. He outright refuses to fix them. A few months ago TU was barely working and I withdrew my 5 star rating of it and posted a one star rating to push him to do some badly needed fixes. It wasn't until I asked some of my followers to start one-starring TU that action got taken- and the icons still didn't get fixed.

I consider TU to be one of my top 10 add-ons but yesterday it apparently was the source of mega conflicts with PM 19 until it's update took hold- but even the TU update took several updates to take! I am also going to investigate if security programs are creating some strange conflicts and behaviors. In many ways I am hesitating to post just how many bugs I encountered early on and which went away because I am pressed for time and it will take time to gather my bearings and figure it all out.

Anyways, since that TU buttons will probably never work correctly there are good replacements to be found in the Toolbar Buttons add-on. It has something like 100 control icons and you can pick and choose the ones you like- including a working "undo closed tab" button.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I want a toolbar button with a list of several tabs I closed, not just undo the last one. So it's not nearly as convenient. :-(

Undo Closed Tabs Button v. 3.7.3 seems to work fine, though. But it is old and can break at any point in time as it did in the past.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-02-24, 09:31

How about using History -> recently closed tabs? That's a feature that is already present in Pale Moon's core, you don't need an add-on for that.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

zalbard

Unread post by zalbard » 2013-02-24, 21:22

Moonchild wrote:How about using History -> recently closed tabs? That's a feature that is already present in Pale Moon's core, you don't need an add-on for that.
That's true, yes. :)
However, having quick access to this feature via a toolbar button is more convenient.

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2013-02-24, 22:52

zalbard wrote:
Moonchild wrote:How about using History -> recently closed tabs? That's a feature that is already present in Pale Moon's core, you don't need an add-on for that.
However, having quick access to this feature via a toolbar button is more convenient.
I don't quite understand or agree :) One click on the PM app button and move your pointer across to the relevant window, not a lot of difference is there? As it is already present as a feature of the browser adding yet another button that duplicates an existing task seems a waste.

Apollo702

Unread post by Apollo702 » 2013-02-25, 07:27

Moderator note: off-topic.
Rohugh wrote:
zalbard wrote:
I don't quite understand or agree :) One click on the PM app button and move your pointer across to the relevant window, not a lot of difference is there? As it is already present as a feature of the browser adding yet another button that duplicates an existing task seems a waste.
This highly depends on how you surf. For the system I advocate the best way to surf is go to news/sports/tech site XYZ123. Now, lets say there are 20 articles and you want to read 10. I have it set so that when I right click on them the 10 I want to read open as new tabs and I shut them off one-by-one as I am done with them. I created this system not only based on my personal use but after observation of many common users. It became readily apparent that one of the biggest things holding them back was the standard method of open up siteXYZ123 in one tab and then endlessly hitting forwards and backwards. Users get confused and tab management becomes too burdensome. Perhaps this is one of the reasons people stick with simplistic sites like spammy Facebook.

When using this method tab history matters considerably less. For a long time I went looking for tab history add-ons and most of them utterly did not work and I was looking for solutions to a problem that already had been solved with the multi-tab method. Now it still is possible to get to the closed tabs through history and that is a good function to have. However, a simple one-click "undo closed tabs" is IMO very important to have standing by. That way if users shut off the wrong tab a fix is just a click away. If they need a more detailed history to find some old tab that they shut off long ago that is there as well.

In short, both are important capabilities but IMO they are not wasteful duplicates. They perform totally different roles.