New Socialfixer beta for Facebook does not work with PM! :( Help needed!

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Enkidu

New Socialfixer beta for Facebook does not work with PM! :( Help needed!

Unread post by Enkidu » 2016-06-16, 12:12

Maybe some of you know http://www.Socialfixer.com - in the past a great extension for Facebook. Current v12 does not work anymore, but now new beta is out!

https://www.facebook.com/sfxdev/posts/1354746221220526

It works with FF, Chrome and others but not with PM. Nor using Greasemonkey, neither old Scriptish. :( :( :( Not on Windows, not on Linux... :(

Maybe someone who is keen on scripting might help Matt to make it working also in PM!? Or maybe it is a PM issue? I have no idea.

Tnx in advance,
Enkidu

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: New Socialfixer beta for Facebook does not work with PM! :( Help needed!

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-06-16, 15:05

Please contact the developer and ask them to support your choice in browsers. We have already reached the point where the Add-ons Team can support forking add-ons.

Think about this for a second. How many add-ons do most developers do? One maybe two? Each of us in the Add-ons Team has well over that not to mention what we do in other areas. I have 3 in active development as well as keep an eye on several other of the outmoded Pseudo-Static class, Antonius32 has a number, Ryan (Lootyhoof) has 30+ themes, 2 theme companion extensions, and another extension unrelated to themeing.

We are past our capacity to do everyone else's job for them. The Add-ons Team's focus is to help users know which extensions work or don't and to enable developers to get their extensions out there but not to fix their code for them. No amount of sad face emoicons will change the logistic reality of that.

If you want to report the incompatibility please do so in the correct thread but your first stop for add-on issues should be the developer of the add-on not Pale Moon Add-ons Team. We must work together as a community group to better the overall situation for everyone.

Enkidu

Unread post by Enkidu » 2016-06-17, 05:45

Matt,

I think, you did not read or understand my post!

Current beta of Socalfixer is a Greasemonkey script. And it seems that something inside the new script does not work with PM. So first we need a keen user or dev here who is able to identify the issue. Then, and only then, we can decide what has to be done. If it is a PM, GM or SF issue.

It is no solution to always repeat devs should support PM. This will not happen as long as PM is just a browser for nerds. Only if PM reaches a significant amount of users, devs will recognize PM as important to support. But due to many addons you can not use together with PM a normal user will not switch to PM. So PM will never be a relevant browser. And thus, devs will not support it! This is the point!

If we want a better acceptance for PM, popular addons have to work. So at least we have to debug problems to its root cause and then go to the appropriate dev to tell him exactly the problem.

Currently we do not know if the problem is caused by PM or GM or SF. So it would be very idiotic to tell SF dev to fix the problem!!! This would only be an evidence for ignorance of some people here.
Sorry to say.

Regards,
Enkidu

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-06-17, 09:18

Enkidu wrote:I think, you did not read or understand my post!
I think you did not read or understand Tobin's post.

It doesn't matter how it's implemented, whether it's a native extension, a GM script, or something else. It's not our code and not ours to maintain or make compatible.
Enkidu wrote:It is no solution to always repeat devs should support PM.
But that is the reality of what needs to happen. We provide the browser. Extensions are add-ons to it. Extensions need to be written for and made compatible with the browser. Not the other way around.

It is also no solution to always repeat "x doesn't work in PM" when x was written for Firefox. We can't wave magic wands and make code not written for us suddenly work. We can't possibly take over development of hundreds or thousands of add-ons that are all written by different people. I've stated this from the very beginning.

Apparently we need to keep repeating this, because people aren't listening or understanding.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite