Questions about NoScript

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

troypulk

Questions about NoScript

Unread post by troypulk » 2016-03-31, 14:35

What exactly does this do?

I've installed it and have been using it for a few days now but it seems to be more of an inconvenience than a useful tool, IMO anyway.

I've gone years with out it, what am I missing?

Thanks

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Questions about NoScript

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-03-31, 14:54

There's a lot of info on NoScript's homepage here:
https://noscript.net/ (check out 'features' & 'faq')

NoScript is really great at what it does, but personally I find it a bit annoying too.
Now that Pale Moon comes with its own XSS filter, 'Adblock Latitude' + 'Ghostery v5.4.4.1' is definitely my prefered extension combo.
Although, if you've been following our Ghostery thread here, you'll know that this extension's future is uncertain at best:
http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11442/

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-03-31, 17:33

As Tomaso post, you should read the FAQ.

NoScript is more then Adblock Latitude + Ghostery + a XSS Filter.
And yes, its not for the usual user but it increase the security & privacy a lot.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-03-31, 19:28

dark_moon wrote:NoScript is more then Adblock Latitude + Ghostery + a XSS Filter.
Yes, but the point is; if you want to use NoScript, you have to be willing to use a lot of time with it.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-03-31, 19:58

Sure. Same with µMatrix for example or other addons.

I need for myself two starts with NoScript too but after some time i get it and since that i never can't live without it.

Its the same like other hardening stuff. First read a lot, then try and maybe change the usage and that need time and work.

Thrawn

Unread post by Thrawn » 2016-04-03, 21:53

Even if you don't like to interact with NoScript, it's still worth installing. You can configure it to use reduced levels of protection that will prompt you much less, eg:
  • 'Cascade top-level document's permissions to third-party sites', so you only need to make one decision per site, like Chrome (may combine well with uMatrix)
  • 'Temporary allow top-level sites by default', so it only blocks third-party content (but beware, if you get redirected, the redirect target is included in the automatic trust)
  • Or if you really don't want to know it's there, you can choose 'Scripts Globally Allowed', which doesn't block any active content, just applies some in-the-background filters against web attacks like XSS, clickjacking, cross-zone attacks on your router, etc (also suitable for non-technical family members).

awdrifter

Unread post by awdrifter » 2017-01-03, 03:40

I tried to install the noscript-2.9.5.2.xpi file, but it says noscript is incompatible with Pale Moon. Is there any way to trick noscript to install on Pale Moon? Thanks.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-01-03, 04:06

awdrifter wrote:I tried to install the noscript-2.9.5.2.xpi file, but it says noscript is incompatible with Pale Moon. Is there any way to trick noscript to install on Pale Moon? Thanks.
I think version 2.9.0.14 is the last version that works with Pale Moon, but an actual NoScript user can correct me if I'm wrong.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-01-03, 08:22

Even the latest dev build (2.9.5.2rc5) works with Pale Moon. Get it from https://noscript.net/getit
You just need to add the Pale Moon GUID: viewtopic.php?p=80247#p80247

GreenGeek

Unread post by GreenGeek » 2017-01-03, 09:00

2.9.5.2 final is the current release on AMO. I did the other tweak (ver #) to get it installed for testing. Seems to be working fine, although limited testing (since I no longer use it in PM), so possibly some bugs not discovered.

riiis
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by riiis » 2017-01-03, 17:20

The latest version of NoScript, NoScript 2.9.5.2, appears compatible with PM27

The indicated change to install.rdf consists of changing the Firefox min-version to 27.0. Or preferably, adding PM27 as a target application:

Code: Select all

<!-- Pale Moon -->
    <em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
        <em:id>{8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}</em:id>
        <em:minVersion>27.0</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>*</em:maxVersion>
      </Description>
    </em:targetApplication> 

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-01-03, 21:47

Nigaikaze wrote:
I think version 2.9.0.14 is the last version that works with Pale Moon, but an actual NoScript user can correct me if I'm wrong.
You're correct, it is the last version that works without tinkering inside the .xpi file.

awdrifter

Unread post by awdrifter » 2017-01-16, 09:06

Nigaikaze wrote:
awdrifter wrote:I tried to install the noscript-2.9.5.2.xpi file, but it says noscript is incompatible with Pale Moon. Is there any way to trick noscript to install on Pale Moon? Thanks.
I don't know how to edit the newer version, but this version works without any editing. Thanks.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-01-16, 12:20

Same with latest beta.

Massimo_B
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Massimo_B » 2017-06-22, 08:55

Where do I get a working package of NoScript? I blindly tried https://secure.informaction.com/downloa ... .9.5.2.xpi but is rejected because not verified.
If this is only about adding the version, isn't there a PM-ready NoScript fork already?

lightning slinger

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2017-06-22, 09:30

Massimo_B wrote:Where do I get a working package of NoScript? I blindly tried https://secure.informaction.com/downloa ... .9.5.2.xpi but is rejected because not verified.
Use an external Download Manager. The latest version of NoScript available from
https://secure.informaction.com/downloa ... -5.0.5.xpi will install in PM with the help of the Moon Tester Tool 1.0.5.

Edit: Just tested this latest version and it will install without the Moon Tester Tool which will enable it to auto-update!

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-06-22, 18:42

You can install latest NoScript which is v5 alread without any problems from official NoScript site.
Moon tester tool isnt needed

Massimo_B
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Massimo_B » 2017-06-23, 05:00

Downloading the .XPI from the website and manually installing, will that way have auto-update enabled, as "lightning slinger" said that can only be achieved by the Tester Tool?

lightning slinger

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2017-06-23, 08:02

Manually installing with the Moon Tester Tool will not auto update, you have to uninstall and then manually reinstall a new version with the Moon Tester Tool.
But as I added in my edit and later confirmed by dark_moon, NoScript latest version will install in PM directly from the Mozilla Add-ons site, that is recommended and should auto update!

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-06-23, 08:44

Since v5 NoScript auto update for Pale Moon doesnt work because new NoScript check for a higher Gecko version Pale Moon provide, so it only provide you the old 2.9.x version over auto update/ AMO.
But as i say the download and install from NoScript works without problems and without moon tester tool.