Download Flash and Video download problem

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

SGvagon

Download Flash and Video download problem

Unread post by SGvagon » 2016-01-26, 22:52

Hello,
after upgrade to Palemoon 26.0 , plugin Download Flash and Video https://addons.mozilla.org/cs/firefox/a ... src=search doesn't work :| . When I click to download, the video doesn't start download. But It works only when I copy video URL.

Thank you in advance.

megaman

Re: Download Flash and Video download problem

Unread post by megaman » 2016-01-26, 23:06

Correct, it doesn't work with the default downloading.
When I installed it, it wanted to use my DownThemAll! add-on, I guess it selects DTA as default.
The download with DTA! is good but it saves the files as "videoplayback," so for each download you have to rename it to their rightful name, like "GTA V gameplay.mp4," to make it look like a regular file.

Other than that, it does work as intended with a drawback.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2016-01-26, 23:27

But in Palemoon 25 download worked perfectly. Or does exist similar plugin which works with Youtube and flash players?

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2016-01-27, 00:00

SGvagon wrote:But in Palemoon 25 download worked perfectly. Or does exist similar plugin which works with Youtube and flash players?
Several, you just have to find a similar one or one that you like.
When VideoDownloadHelper wasn't working right I went to find something else. (It still works but if you want a different resolution, you need to change it to the right resolution, activate the player, and then it appears for the download; on YouTube, you need to use HTML5's player for it to work.)

Ashdav recommends: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... d-youtube/
My recommendation: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ader-pure/

Anyone else can chime-in, as well.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2016-01-27, 00:32

So the problem in Download Flash and Video must be fix it by author this plugin?

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2016-01-27, 00:41

SGvagon wrote:So the problem in Download Flash and Video must be fix it by author this plugin?
At this point, yes. Matt A. Tobin might have more info on why, or Moonchild.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2016-01-27, 00:54

Ok I wait for them. Thank you :) .

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2016-01-30, 01:57

So does anyone know what's wrong with this addon?

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-01-30, 10:45

I'm also using this extension, and I can confirm that it doesn't work anymore, with Pale Moon v26.0.0.
Looks to me like this might be something that needs to be fixed in PM, rather than the extension.
I'm just guessing, but I say this because the 'Save as' dialog pops up like it should, but then seems to fail in relaying the data to the 'Downloads' window (after clicking on the 'Save' button).

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-02-04, 19:37

Unfortunately, I still haven't been able to find a suitable (to my taste) replacement for this excellent extension.
I've contacted the author regarding the compatibility issue, but haven't gotten a response from him yet.
Perhaps a PM developer could take a look at it, just to make sure that there isn't a small bug in v26.xx that causes it to fail?

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-02-04, 20:01

I just discovered that older versions of this extension actually works with PM v26.xx. :)
Only thing is that we have to use MUCH older ones, which of course lacks a lot of fixes!
This is the latest version that works:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... 7.1-signed

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2016-02-04, 20:11

Is the Version 1.68.1-signed first one that doesn't work?
(*) Fixed a problem in Firefox 26 and above - where downloads didn't show their progress while downloading.
It could be the same that was with the Download Status Bar extension that it uses the version number 26 to detect the compatibility. Thus now fails with Pale Moon 26 thinking it as Firefox 26.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-02-04, 20:20

jumba wrote:Is the Version 1.68.1-signed first one that doesn't work?
Yes.

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2016-02-04, 20:23

It is exactly as I thought it would be.

Version 1.68.1 adds a check using VersionInfo.isVersionBiggerOrEqual("26") and tries to use the incompatible Downloads.jsm api with Pale Moon. This is not the only downloads related add-on broken after 26 version.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-02-04, 20:30

jumba wrote:It is exactly as I thought it would be.

Version 1.68.1 adds a check using VersionInfo.isVersionBiggerOrEqual("26") and tries to use the incompatible Downloads.jsm api with Pale Moon. This is not the only downloads related add-on broken after 26 version.
Ahh..
Should be a simple fix then.
Unfortunately, this extension seems to be closed source?

jumba

Unread post by jumba » 2016-02-04, 20:42

No, it's released under MPL, an open source license. But maybe the developer is willing to support Pale Moon 26?

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2016-02-04, 21:47

jumba wrote:maybe the developer is willing to support Pale Moon 26?
Like I said; I've contacted him.
..but it remains to be seen if he responds.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2016-02-04, 23:00

Tomaso wrote:I just discovered that older versions of this extension actually works with PM v26.xx. :)
Only thing is that we have to use MUCH older ones, which of course lacks a lot of fixes!
This is the latest version that works:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... 7.1-signed
Nice :) . Thank you, Youtube still works with this version. And now we must wait for new version and hope, that author will fix this bug or Moonchild in next version of Palemoon.

Cogito Ergo Sum

Unread post by Cogito Ergo Sum » 2016-02-06, 09:17

megaman wrote:
SGvagon wrote:But in Palemoon 25 download worked perfectly. Or does exist similar plugin which works with Youtube and flash players?
Several, you just have to find a similar one or one that you like.
When VideoDownloadHelper wasn't working right I went to find something else. (It still works but if you want a different resolution, you need to change it to the right resolution, activate the player, and then it appears for the download; on YouTube, you need to use HTML5's player for it to work.)

Ashdav recommends: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... d-youtube/
My recommendation: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ader-pure/

Anyone else can chime-in, as well.
Your recommendation says "Not available for Firefox 24.9", i have Pale Moon 26.0.2 x64
Do you know of an extension that can download any video from any site, not just Youtube?
Do you know of an extension that can download any flash content, not just videos?

lavabo

Unread post by lavabo » 2016-02-06, 09:28

Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:
Your recommendation says "Not available for Firefox 24.9", i have Pale Moon 26.0.2 x64
Do you know of an extension that can download any video from any site, not just Youtube?
Do you know of an extension that can download any flash content, not just videos?
for any site, you can you flashgot. for youtube, nothing beats complete youtube saver.
on rare sites, you must use rtmpdumphelper121 because flashgot does not see the video.