Do Not Track Plus

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Soldier1st

Do Not Track Plus

Unread post by Soldier1st » 2012-07-18, 09:02

Is this extension too paranoid or just plain useless?

steviem1

Re: Do Not Track Plus

Unread post by steviem1 » 2012-07-18, 11:01

Neither, these days internet and browser security is important so it's best to be in control of your surfing and the information the web pages you visit sends out. There are a number of simlar utilities available for download and they all have their pros and cons.

If you are looking for something suitable for your own needs such as cookie blocking or handling, do some searches and try some of them out.

Also, this thread might be helpful. http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... t=ghostery

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-07-19, 05:24

Soldier1st wrote:Is this extension too paranoid or just plain useless?
We know that Internet is just for make money and business, otherwise we should migrate instead on Internet 2 right now. ;)

But sarcasm behind, I use DNT+ mostly for have a speed-up navigation since for some reason ad servers are slow in my side. This create troubles when I try to save pages or even bad made ads can crash *any* browser (specially Flash ads). So is more a commodity than paranoia. Anyway I have no credit card and I'm not American, so I haven't anything they would want from me. ;)

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-07-19, 05:34

lobocursor wrote:We know that Internet is just for make money and business, otherwise we should migrate instead on Internet 2 right now. ;)

But sarcasm behind, I use DNT+ mostly for have a speed-up navigation since for some reason ad servers are slow in my side. This create troubles when I try to save pages or even bad made ads can crash *any* browser (specially Flash ads). So is more a commodity than paranoia. Anyway I have no credit card and I'm not American, so I haven't anything they would want from me. ;)
Agreed, ads can slow-down page rendering at times. It is just useless real estate, unless you want to purchase something, that would be intentional.
I would leave it on here for the benefit of PM, only exception. Well, if I used the tailored PM Start Page, that would have it off as well.

Thrawn

Unread post by Thrawn » 2013-01-07, 10:50

I'm heavily committed to privacy+security, but I don't feel a need for DNT+, just because there are other addons that do a more comprehensive job. They usually require more time commitment, though. Everyone chooses their own balance.

Does DNT+ do much that Adblock Plus doesn't?

dabruro

don't be fooled by "opt out" schemes!

Unread post by dabruro » 2013-02-01, 16:07

Look carefully and you'll see that the voluntary opt-out "do not track" headers/cookies do not actually tell them not to track you!

They only tell them not to *display* customized ads *using* the tracking profile which they continue to collect anyway!

So opting out "covers up" the fact that they're continuing to track you, because seeing those personalized ads was your only clue that this was happening!
And using opt-out *cookies* only helps the trackers because using them requires that you *not* block their cookies.

There may be some tracking services that actually don't track you based on the opt-out, but this it isn't expected of them according to the industry pages and FAQs describing these opt-out schemes.

So any time in the future if you (accidentally or intentionally) stop opting-out, they will be able to display ads using the entire tracking profile of all the sites you visited and products you researched, which they've been collecting on you for years while you were supposedly "opted-out". Even if you start opting-out again, they'll still have all those years of data and they won't delete it or stop collecting it just because you're opting out of ads.

Soldier1st

Re: don't be fooled by "opt out" schemes!

Unread post by Soldier1st » 2013-02-01, 21:53

dabruro wrote:Look carefully and you'll see that the voluntary opt-out "do not track" headers/cookies do not actually tell them not to track you!

They only tell them not to *display* customized ads *using* the tracking profile which they continue to collect anyway!

So opting out "covers up" the fact that they're continuing to track you, because seeing those personalized ads was your only clue that this was happening!
And using opt-out *cookies* only helps the trackers because using them requires that you *not* block their cookies.

There may be some tracking services that actually don't track you based on the opt-out, but this it isn't expected of them according to the industry pages and FAQs describing these opt-out schemes.

So any time in the future if you (accidentally or intentionally) stop opting-out, they will be able to display ads using the entire tracking profile of all the sites you visited and products you researched, which they've been collecting on you for years while you were supposedly "opted-out". Even if you start opting-out again, they'll still have all those years of data and they won't delete it or stop collecting it just because you're opting out of ads.
Good to know. Thnx