Personalized recommendations for add-ons

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Rohugh

Personalized recommendations for add-ons

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-07-16, 23:48

I assume that the Personalized Recommendations for add-ons are not linked back to Firefox. I ask because I was browsing the "Get Add-ons" section and wondered how they came up with the mish mash of the ones that were supposedly especially for me. From The NFL Official site to Spore Scope that supposedly improves Sporepedia (what the hell is that, never heard of it) to Raw Vision so I can view raw data (is that like code in the nude?).

I am not asking for recommendations, I can choose my own as I am a big boy now, just curiosity. Mozilla says as long as you have at least three add-ons they will let you know what is good for you - how the heck do they do that based on as little as three?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Personalized recommendations for add-ons

Unread post by Night Wing » 2012-07-17, 03:01

In my opinion, Mozilla's claim in knowing what add-ons are best for you with three or more add-ons, is just a lot of "hot air" propaganda coming from Mozilla. I only have two add-ons and these two add-ons have been with me since version 4 of both Pale Moon and Firefox.

BTW, my two add-ons aren't popular with the Mozilla power user crowd either.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-07-17, 04:50

Rohugh wrote:I assume that the Personalized Recommendations for add-ons are not linked back to Firefox. I ask because I was browsing the "Get Add-ons" section and wondered how they came up with the mish mash of the ones that were supposedly especially for me. From The NFL Official site to Spore Scope that supposedly improves Sporepedia (what the hell is that, never heard of it) to Raw Vision so I can view raw data (is that like code in the nude?).
"Raw data" means the direct bytes of the file or code... about "Soprepedia" doesn't meant that "Spore" game where you make creatures using an evolution process and then share them?. :crazy:

But yes I often don't trust on an add-on until I've read something about it before install, there are too many add-ons that are pretty useless. :mrgreen:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-07-17, 07:15

Usually they confuse "recommended" with "more like this", or at most "what other users who have these add-ons also have installed", basically letting their metrics work for them; but usually, the "recommended" ones are just the most popular ones for a certain group of users, so it's a bag of hot air, indeed. You're much better off looking through a specific category for something you need, or just browsing the addons site for an hour to see what all is out there, you may find some gems hidden in the dirt.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite