Fireshot locks Pale Moon, requiring End Process

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

CBinLA

Fireshot locks Pale Moon, requiring End Process

Unread post by CBinLA » 2012-07-16, 16:36

This problem was actually described in a locked topic last year:

http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... eshot#p674

I installed Fireshot, which I've used successfully in many versions of Firefox. But the icon doesn't appear in the tool bar and when I attempt to access Fireshot options, Pale Moon locks solid, requiring a Task Manager End Process.

The initiator of the above thread had success installing Better Privacy, but that failed to work for me. I only recently switched to Pale Moon and have had great success to this point. My specs are:

Hardware: Intel i3 3.2 GHz
RAM: 8 GB
Browser: Pale Moon 12.2.1-x64
Add-on in question: Fireshot 0.98.11

I'll check with the add-on author. If there is a solution from them, I'll post here.

CBinLA

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Fireshot locks Pale Moon, requiring End Process

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-07-16, 17:05

I'm using Fireshot myself as my choice web capture add-on (0.98.9) and it works without a glitch. Perhaps the latest version isn't fully compatible with the code base used for Pale Moon 12, as a few UI things have changed in Firefox 13. In that case the add-on devs should adjust the minimum required version to 13, so you are informed about it (and can install an older version).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

CBinLA

Unread post by CBinLA » 2012-07-16, 17:26

Thanks--I actually just purchased the Pro version for the added features and to see if it solved the locking problem. Reinstalling the add-on did resolve the freezing, but then I was unable to add the upgrade licensing info, getting the following error when I attempt to access ANY Fireshot functions:

InitXPCOM error: Error: couldn't open library

Some others on the ScreenShot/FireShot forum are reporting this same error, which doesn't appear in Firefox 12. I'm trying to find out where to get older versions of the add-on.

Again, thanks--and I'll post any progress.

CBinLA

CBinLA

Unread post by CBinLA » 2012-07-16, 17:31

Moonchild, I may have found the glitch. Are you using 64-bit Pale Moon? The Screenshot forum reports that FireShot only works with the 64-bit IE, not other 64-bit browsers. Looks like I'm going to have to switch back and forth between FF-32 and PM-64 if I want to use this feature. Grrr! They should indicate this before purchasing.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-07-16, 22:18

Using x86 myself (on a 64-bit OS), so yeah that'd be it then if they rely on 32-bit binary components.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite