Decentraleyes Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Decentraleyes
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: Decentraleyes

Unread post by Decentraleyes » 2016-04-23, 12:48

helloimustbegoing wrote:I'm just curious why version 1.3.0 is not yet on Pale Moon's add-on site. It's been two weeks. That makes me hesitant to update to it.
I have contacted the person that's supposedly responsible for Pale Moon add-on matters on April 14th through a PM, and haven't heard back at all :coffee:. I hope you understand that I don't see it as my personal mission to keep trying to get this listed. You're right though, never install software you don't trust. You could unpack and verify the content yourself.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-04-23, 14:12

I already took care of it.. What? isn't it updating?

Decentraleyes
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Decentraleyes » 2016-04-23, 16:15

Matt A Tobin wrote:I already took care of it.. What? isn't it updating?
I really don't know what the problem is, or pretty much anything about the status of my submission (I stopped checking after about a week, and never heard back). So, I assume that all is well based on your latest statement. I am not familiar with Pale Moon's auto-updating mechanism, so feel free to configure the package if needed.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-04-23, 16:16

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-04-23, 16:59

Typo in manifest.ini .. Fixed now..

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2016-04-23, 17:23

Thanks to everyone. :thumbup:

Decentraleyes
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Decentraleyes » 2016-04-23, 23:39

Matt A Tobin wrote:Typo in manifest.ini .. Fixed now..
Nice to hear, thanks!
helloimustbegoing wrote:Thanks to everyone. :thumbup:
I'm happy to hear that your issue has been resolved! :thumbup:

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-04-24, 15:33

Matt A Tobin wrote:Typo in manifest.ini .. Fixed now..
As previously described HERE in my post on the previous page in this topic:
If I check for Updates nothing happens for the "Check for Updates" link for Decentraleyes and I get a "No updates found" using the Gear.
No Updates and Update link unresponsive.png
If I "View Recent Updates" I get "You haven't recently updated any add-ons" but I have. And here the "Check for Updates" button also does not respond.
No Updates.png
The links are active because the "Check for Updates" link mouse-hover Tootip responds with "help" info message :idea:
Hover Tooltip message works so link is active
Hover Tooltip message works so link is active
I know I can use this link: https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/privacy-and-security/decentraleyes/ to update Decentraleyes presumably, but before I do this I wanted to check as to what the problem might be regarding all these other methods of updating and why they are not working for me. :think: :?
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2016-04-24, 15:42, edited 2 times in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-04-24, 15:40

Okay.. So apparently someone maybe me failed to add decentraleyes to the AUS database which does the updates. This should be fixed now.

https://github.com/Pale-Moon-Addons-Team/phoebus/commit/90aff7ad61156d43a86bbd830a5a085fa6a2b0e7

Code: Select all

From https://github.com/Pale-Moon-Addons-Team/phoebus
   e6559d1..90aff7a  LIVE       -> origin/LIVE
   e6559d1..90aff7a  TRUNK      -> origin/TRUNK
Updating e6559d1..90aff7a
Fast-forward
 services/aus/database.php | 3 ++-
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)
Please go get the old version and attempt to update and report back please.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-04-24, 15:50

Gear works now, but the "Check for Updates" link still does nothing (hover tooltip for link works however so link is responsive)
Lates addon update situation.png
Before updating I thought I'd check with you to see if there is something to be done with the method that appears to not work.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-04-24, 15:53

I don't know anything about that link.. Maybe it is broken.. Who knows.. I know that right click context menu and the main manual update check the "gear" does work.. Just update please.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-04-24, 15:54

Matt A Tobin wrote:I don't know anything about that link.. Maybe it is broken.. Who knows.. I know that right click context menu and the main manual update check the "gear" does work.. Just update please.
Thanks for the quick response, WILL DO. :thumbup:

(btw, I was just checking instead of just going ahead and updating like I did before when instead of initially going directly to the add-ons update page I thought it best to check-in first mindful that maybe testing any "fixes" might be helpful ;))

Decentraleyes
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Decentraleyes » 2016-05-07, 21:35

Add-on Update: I'm hereby publishing version 1.3.5-palemoon of Decentraleyes. It has been submitted to APO and should appear (as an auto-update) sometime within the near future. You can also install the update manually from the link below.

https://github.com/Synzvato/decentraley ... tag/v1.3.5
Decentraleyes.v1.3.5-palemoon-unsigned.xpi

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-05-07, 21:58

First thanks for that update!

I have a feature request: Can we have a icon which show if stuff on the website is blocked/ or not?

Decentraleyes
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Decentraleyes » 2016-05-08, 01:37

dark_moon wrote:I have a feature request: Can we have a icon which show if stuff on the website is blocked/ or not?
Thanks for the suggestion. A user interface is indeed in the works. The thing is though, Decentraleyes will, relatively soon, be ported to WebExtensions. This should solve any page breakage issues and will brings advantages such as the ability to build this add-on for a large amount of platforms, and access to more modern APIs and build tools.

The reason that these kinds of aesthetics will be implemented after the port, is that the new version will be leading. This gives everyone involved a clean slate and the freedom to fully adhere to any new conventions. People tend to not like visual changes, so building the user interface now and porting it later could cause a fair amount of overhead. We can, of course, always attempt to backport new features to v1.x.x of the add-on up until Pale Moon implements support for WebExtensions.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-05-08, 02:15

Pale Moon will not be implementing WebExtensions any time soon if ever (the more likely). We are not Mozilla nor Chrome if you wish to continue to support Pale Moon you will have to to support our extension technologies and application directly.

EDIT:
Version 1.3.5-palemoon update has been pushed onto the add-ons site
RESOLVED FIXED

Decentraleyes
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Decentraleyes » 2016-05-08, 02:43

Matt A Tobin wrote:Pale Moon will not be implementing WebExtensions any time soon if ever (the more likely).
I predict that at some point you're going to re-fork Firefox in order to be able to bring your stated advantages to something that supports the very latest web technologies. In fact, I have read about this not too long ago. I think it's an excellent idea, and it would be a huge plus for add-on compatibility. I'm cautiously optimistic there. Source:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/pale-moon-devs-ponder-dropping-current-codebase-and-starting-from-scratch-501920.shtml
Softpedia - Pale Moon Devs Ponder Dropping Current Codebase and Starting from Scratch
Matt A Tobin wrote:We are not Mozilla nor Chrome if you wish to continue to support Pale Moon you will have to to support our extension technologies and application explicitly.
I am already explicitly supporting your platform, since I need to use an old Firefox add-on compiler and perform various manual tweaks to produce working copies for Pale Moon (and Firefox 26.x for that matter). So I'm doing my best to keep pushing out Pale Moon add-on updates from the current code base for as long as absolutely possible, but this will become harder and harder as Pale Moon keeps falling further behind on modern web standards. So let's just see where this adventure takes us.

Decentraleyes
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Decentraleyes » 2016-05-08, 02:45

Matt A Tobin wrote:Version 1.3.5-palemoon update has been pushed onto the add-ons site
RESOLVED FIXED
That's great, thank you!

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-05-08, 08:31

While it is true that Pale Moon will be "pulling the same trick twice" and for the last time ever.. We have no real intention on prioritizing the support for the limited and restrictive subset of "Modern Web Technologies" that WebExtensions is or offers (read: Chrome Extensions).

The Toolkit (aka Overlay aka, according to Mozilla, Legacy) Extension facilities is where we want to focus our attention as it is feature rich, time tested, and completely capable of delivering superior capabilities to ANYTHING WebExtensions would have to offer.

This does include, for legacy sake, the sloppy hack known as Bootstrap (aka Restartless) and of course the ultimately failed high level abstracting API knows as Jetpack (aka Add-ons SDK).

With our Extensions platform you can literally write a full on featureful XUL and JS (as well as throw in some XPCOM if you want) based application and shove it into an XPI and have Pale Moon run it without it having ANYTHING to do with content or the browser. As well as, of course, add and modify the functionality and display of the browser and content. Why would we want to give that up.

Also, why do we want to devote MORE time to yet ANOTHER extensions api that is just another part of Mozilla's (and Microsoft's) way of copying and riding the more restrictive Google Browser train.

That is not to say that WebExtensions are out of the question. I'm sure that with some time and skill and with the facilities we already have one could actually implement it inside and on top of our exceedingly rich technologies that we will not be arbitrarily removing from our codebase. Hell at the end of the day all Jetpack is is a collection of verbatim javascript shoved into the browser (used to be included with extensions to provide backwards and forward compatibility but that fell from the wayside a long time ago) from the codebase that does translation from a JS implemented API down to the toolkit and xpcom. But it is not going to be any kind of priority any time soon for us.

We have much bigger fish to fry at the moment. In any event, suffice it to say, the legacy we have inherited is far more powerful than the future Mozilla or anyone else is going to offer you when it comes to extensions.

Just because something is newer, changed, or copied from somewhere else does not mean it is better or superior and just because we don't have it or plan NOT to do something doesn't mean we are falling behind. Especially not in the case of WebExtensions.

It is my hope that you will continue to support Pale Moon and our inherited technologies and our awesome users. To help keep a diverse ecosystem and provide options for alternatives and choice.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-05-08, 10:39

Decentraleyes wrote:The thing is though, Decentraleyes will, relatively soon, be ported to WebExtensions.

We can, of course, always attempt to backport new features to v1.x.x of the add-on up until Pale Moon implements support for WebExtensions.
At that point, as stated, Decentraleyes will become completely incompatible with Pale Moon. WebExtensions is a restrictive subset akin to the addon SDK (but even more limited) and completely disconnects extensions from the browser as they will become pretty much a content-based gadget.
Decentraleyes wrote:I predict that at some point you're going to re-fork Firefox in order to be able to bring your stated advantages to something that supports the very latest web technologies. In fact, I have read about this not too long ago. I think it's an excellent idea, and it would be a huge plus for add-on compatibility. I'm cautiously optimistic there.
I'm afraid your prediction is wrong. We are working on re-basing on a later Mozilla code base to bring core web technologies forward that our community thus far has not been able to help with. We are, however not "starting from scratch" as that article claims, and we are basing it on a version of Mozilla code that is still allowing us to offer all the technologies we want to have in Pale Moon (binary extension components, XUL/overlay extensions, Sync 1.1, etc.).
Considering the amount of time and effort that goes into such an endeavor, let me also be clear: this has been something weighed over months, is a one-time deal, and this will not be done "again" later on because we would have to throw all that makes Pale Moon what it is away in that case. And we might consider WebExtensions as an additional technology down the road (waaay down the road) or to replace SDK extensions that are likely not going to work anyway after the rebase without re-writing, but no commitment to that at all at the moment, and extension developers should not count on it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite