Pocket problems Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

WacoJohn

Pocket problems

Unread post by WacoJohn » 2015-11-09, 18:07

I have looked throughout the forums ... found discussions on POCKET, .. but not an actual solution.

Pale Moon Version: 25.7.3 (x86). When I go to

https://getpocket.com/add (Save to Pocket from Firefox)

It tells me to UPDATE FIREFOX.

Is there a solution? Thank you in advance.
Last edited by WacoJohn on 2016-01-31, 02:42, edited 2 times in total.

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Pocket problems

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2015-11-10, 15:22

Well, I am not interested to subscribe to see if the solution works, but I noticed different behaviours depending on your browser.I suspect that if you de-activate the "Firefox compatibility mode", the installation page will guide you to install the button and bookmarklet (i.e. a short Javascript that does the job), just like it does so for Chrome and Internet Explorer.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2015-11-10, 16:02

Go to this page: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1yrt-GZ ... ?s=helpnav and complete the form, respectfully requesting support for Pale Moon browser. I did this (and I do not have an account with them) and explained that PM will continue to support XUL extensions that FF is abandoning. Maybe if they get enough positive input from the PM community, they will want to work with us.

WacoJohn

Unread post by WacoJohn » 2015-11-10, 16:12

x-15a2 wrote:Go to this page: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1yrt-GZ ... ?s=helpnav and complete the form, respectfully requesting support for Pale Moon browser. I did this (and I do not have an account with them) and explained that PM will continue to support XUL extensions that FF is abandoning. Maybe if they get enough positive input from the PM community, they will want to work with us.
Thank you BOTH for the replies. I submitted the form request.

Well, I am not interested to subscribe to see if the solution works, but I noticed different behaviours depending on your browser.I suspect that if you de-activate the "Firefox compatibility mode", the installation page will guide you to install the button and bookmarklet (i.e. a short Javascript that does the job), just like it does so for Chrome and Internet Explorer.
If I understand ... there is no DIRECT way to use Pocket??? Need to 'try' the compatibility mode deactivation? Where then do I go to get the right POCKET ... FF add-ons?

Thank you again... will see what I can do.

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2015-11-10, 16:21

FYI: Mozilla is going to remove Pocket integration with Firefox sometime, but never clarified if will go back to being an add-on. I would think so though.
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

WacoJohn

Unread post by WacoJohn » 2015-11-10, 16:31

LimboSlam wrote:FYI: Mozilla is going to remove Pocket integration with Firefox sometime, but never clarified if will go back to being an add-on. I would think so though.

I deactivated compatibility .. no help. What I don't get ... Pocket is 'embedded' in FF??? Why then is there an add-on for it?

https://getpocket.com/firefox/

Thank you for the reply.

WacoJohn

Unread post by WacoJohn » 2015-11-13, 00:19

So, am I to conclude NO Pocket in Pale Moon??

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2015-11-13, 02:48

That's up to the Pocket developers, to make their extension compatible with PM.

WacoJohn

Re: Pocket problems SOLVED

Unread post by WacoJohn » 2015-11-13, 03:48

Thank you for the definitive answer.

x-15a2

Re: Pocket problems RESOLVED

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2015-11-13, 11:28

My pleasure. If you haven't done so yet, please use the link to the form that I provided above so that you can request PM support from Pocket.

WacoJohn

Unread post by WacoJohn » 2015-11-13, 15:01

I submitted the form the day you posted the link. Thank you again for your help.

hb5574

Unread post by hb5574 » 2015-12-15, 02:25

Pocket has a bookmarklet at:

https://getpocket.com/welcome?b=Bookmarklet

You add it to your bookmark bar and it works like a champ.

WacoJohn

Unread post by WacoJohn » 2015-12-15, 03:10

NICE JOB!!! Thank you for this, hb5574!!

infonut

Unread post by infonut » 2016-01-19, 21:32

I'm not sure how current this is, but I'm trying it out....

https://activations.cdn.mozilla.net/en-US/pocket.html

WacoJohn

Re: Pocket problems bye bye pale moon

Unread post by WacoJohn » 2016-01-31, 02:44

Like pale moon ... a lot. Dunno about the 'politics' surrounding it and POCKET, ... but with no pocket, can't use PM. Uninstalling it now. Thank you all for all the help. Maybe some day.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-01-31, 10:47

Then someone (maybe a mod) should mark the thread solved.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-01-31, 17:17

To clarify: there are no 'politics' surrounding Pale Moon and Pocket. It's really very simple: Pocket is a 3rd party service provider. They have chosen to partner with Mozilla to integrate into the Firefox browser and Firefox Accounts, and as such will not support it as an extension any longer (as far as I understood). This means that Pocket is limiting itself to only Mozilla Firefox and as such no longer caters to the use of its service in Pale Moon. That is their choice and decision, and theirs alone. We've had no say in it and whatever we think about this decision doesn't matter. We aren't affiliated with the service, and they haven't approached us.

If that means the browser no longer suits your needs as a user, and you find the service being available more important than the client you use to access the web as a whole, then that is perfectly understandable. :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2016-01-31, 18:24

LimboSlam wrote:FYI: Mozilla is going to remove Pocket integration with Firefox sometime, but never clarified if will go back to being an add-on. I would think so though.
See also https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1215694

WacoJohn

Unread post by WacoJohn » 2016-01-31, 20:00

Moonchild wrote:To clarify: there are no 'politics' surrounding Pale Moon and Pocket. It's really very simple: Pocket is a 3rd party service provider. They have chosen to partner with Mozilla to integrate into the Firefox browser and Firefox Accounts, and as such will not support it as an extension any longer (as far as I understood). This means that Pocket is limiting itself to only Mozilla Firefox and as such no longer caters to the use of its service in Pale Moon. That is their choice and decision, and theirs alone. We've had no say in it and whatever we think about this decision doesn't matter. We aren't affiliated with the service, and they haven't approached us.

If that means the browser no longer suits your needs as a user, and you find the service being available more important than the client you use to access the web as a whole, then that is perfectly understandable. :)

A gracious and courteous reply ... and I never meant any offense. Politics, policy, .. whose, theirs .. Your explanation is appreciated .. at the time of my post, I did not know or have the time to research exactly what the problem is.

SADDENED to say ... I think Pocket fully works with Firefox, Chrome, and SRWARE Iron .... so I thought my expectation of it working with Pale Moon would somehow be valid. Sadly, not the case ... and I wish it were otherwise. Thank you again.

karlkracher
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by karlkracher » 2016-02-01, 22:36

you may take a look at save-to-read https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/save-to-read/ , i'm using it since pocket changed to a storage "in the cloud", first with firefox now with pale moon.