Link Hints Extensions? Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Link Hints Extensions?

Unread post by Raava » 2023-09-23, 05:27

fatboy wrote:
2023-09-22, 23:34
it also installs for Pale Moon.
When it installs then your hacking of the extension worked as intended since you only changed its version refusal.
fatboy wrote:
2023-09-22, 23:34
However, the extension is not working as it should? I press "f" and nothing happens?
Still it is possible the extension itself - even when it is able to be installed into your browser - will not work or not work as intended. The hacking of install.rdf and re-compressing the xpi is an easy fix, but it is not a 100% successful fix.

Might be the original extension creator excludes your browser version because he (or she) knows it will not work as intended, or it is solely for Firefox and known to not work with Palemoon, or dozens of other reasons the creator choose to not let the extension be able to be installed on your browser or on the specific version of your browser.

In my book you have 2 choices left:

● find another extension as alternative or
● find a specialized forum about that very extension where users who also tried to get it running by hacking its install.rdf can tell you how they managed it in the end. Or a Firefox forum that discusses lots of extensions hacking, or a forum for Firefox forks… it doesn't need to be this Palemoon forum. Or a forum for hacking all kinds of browser extensions… be they Chrom[ei]* or Firefox or whatever-browser-based.

Or you manage to convince someone on here to do extended hacking (more than editing the versions requirement via install.rdf) and attempt to get it working on a PM version near or identical of your own.
Similar like existing open and free software extensions have been tweaked from their Firefox variant into one that works for Palemoon.

Sorry fatboy but that's all I can think of. :(
yours truly, Rava

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2023-09-23, 13:04

Thanks for the tips Raava,

So fat the Hi-A-Hint extension works great as an alternative. Was just keen to experiment and get vimfx working as well.

Vimperator is also a great option, but the fact that I can't store settings persistently is a deal breaker for me.
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2023-09-23, 23:08

Indeed, all versions of vimfx after 0.5.17 require CustomizableUI.jsm, which is not present in the Pale Moon.
On the other hand, version 0.5.17 uses the gBrowser.getFindBar() function, which is also missing.
In general, this add-on is not compatible with Pale Moon.
Actually, I didn't check if it works, I was just looking for one that meets the requirements.
That's why I said "maybe vimfx". I'm sorry.

deChat
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by deChat » 2023-09-24, 02:01

Kris_88 wrote:
2023-09-23, 23:08
Indeed, all versions of vimfx after 0.5.17 require CustomizableUI.jsm, which is not present in the Pale Moon.
On the other hand, version 0.5.17 uses the gBrowser.getFindBar() function, which is also missing.
In general, this add-on is not compatible with Pale Moon.
Actually, I didn't check if it works, I was just looking for one that meets the requirements.
That's why I said "maybe vimfx". I'm sorry.
This is interesting, yet strange... because I'm currently using VimFx 0.5.17.1-signed from the CAA, with the install.rdf file modified per my earlier post (to add Pale Moon as a target application), with the current 32.4.0.1 version of Pale Moon, on a Windows PC:
Link to full-sized image: https://beeimg.com/images/f39927295322.jpg

and these are the hints VimFx gives me for your post (after pressing the "f" key):
Link to full-sized image: https://beeimg.com/images/k32603449564.jpg

I have also successfully used this .xpi with earlier versions of Pale Moon (at least the 31.x versions, and likely the 29.x versions as well).

However, I admit I cannot reconcile or explain my successful experiences using VimFx 0.5.17.1-signed in light of the gBrowser.getFindBar() function being absent from current versions of Pale Moon (though tbh, I don't know what that function does or how the link hints feature depends on it). Might this have something to do with my using the Windows version of PM, and fatboy using the Linux version?

In any event, I think Raava is right. I'm feeling that things are (or have been) at the point that a native extension to provide a very basic vi-style browsing experience (and is smaller/simpler than the otherwise terrific Pentadactyl) should be rebuilt from the ground up. Unfortunately, I lack the skills/experience in JavaScript and extension development for this task (much less the desire to provide long-term support for it). But I guess I had better fix that deficiency, or I'll eventually be in the unenviable position of relying on an extension that is irrevocably broken with some future version of PM.

@fatboy: If you're up for giving VimFx another shot, I suggest starting with the simplest (oldest) version of it on CAA, modifying its install.rdf per my earlier post, and testing whether it works AND has the follow hint feature you want. Test successive newer versions until you have the feature you need. At that point you can stop (since you posted earlier that you only need the link hints feature, because Dorando keyconfig meets your other needs), or you could continue testing newer versions until something breaks. I basically do something like that (but starting with the newest version and working towards the oldest) whenever trying to determine if a CAA extension will work with Pale Moon.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-09-24, 02:55

deChat wrote:
2023-09-24, 02:01
I suggest starting with the simplest (oldest) version of it on CAA
I'd recommend starting with whatever was compatible with FF 24 onwards, that's around the time Pale Moon forked away from it.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Raava » 2023-09-24, 03:16

deChat wrote:
I'm feeling that things are (or have been) at the point that a native extension to provide a very basic vi-style browsing experience (and is smaller/simpler than the otherwise terrific Pentadactyl) should be rebuilt from the ground up. Unfortunately, I lack the skills/experience in JavaScript and extension development for this task (much less the desire to provide long-term support for it). But I guess I had better fix that deficiency, or I'll eventually be in the unenviable position of relying on an extension that is irrevocably broken with some future version of PM.
I agree, I am sure there would be some people out there interested in some vi style browse via keyboard extension. I know I would, but I am on Linux as well.

But to either create it from the ground up anew
moonbat wrote:
2023-09-24, 02:55
I'd recommend starting with whatever was compatible with FF 24 onwards, that's around the time Pale Moon forked away from it.
or tweak the code of an existing extension (when the licence allows us doing so) - both approaches require skills and time most people do not have.
Image ;)

But maybe and by that I mean hopefully this thread inspires someone to make such an extension. (crosses fingers, knocks on wood)
yours truly, Rava

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-09-24, 03:19

Raava wrote:
2023-09-24, 03:16
or tweak the code of an existing extension (when the licence allows us doing so) - both approaches require skills and time most people do not have.
That's blindingly obviously a pre-condition for anyone who's going to edit an extension :roll:
My advice was for whoever wants to try.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Raava » 2023-09-24, 03:56

moonbat wrote:
2023-09-24, 03:19
That's blindingly obviously a pre-condition for anyone who's going to edit an extension
technically speaking, hacking an extension by altering its install.rdf is already "editing an extension" - and thus I can also say I did so.

Still I lack the skills needed to work on the code itself than just edit or change some lines in a text based setup file (especially since there are even how-tos out there explaining how that is done)
yours truly, Rava

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-09-24, 04:00

You could start with the XUL and XUL School tutorials, and read the further archived docs from there.

deChat
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by deChat » 2023-09-24, 14:22

moonbat wrote:
2023-09-24, 02:55
deChat wrote:
I suggest starting with the simplest (oldest) version of it on CAA
Good point, that is probably the most efficient way to go about it. (I was perhaps overinfluenced by the OP's statement that they were only looking for the link hint feature, and thus was thinking in terms of just getting that feature rather than looking for the greatest degree of compatibility based on target browser version for the different extension versions. My error.)

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2023-09-27, 05:49

deChat wrote:
2023-09-24, 14:22
Good point, that is probably the most efficient way to go about it. (I was perhaps overinfluenced by the OP's statement that they were only looking for the link hint feature, and thus was thinking in terms of just getting that feature rather than looking for the greatest degree of compatibility based on target browser version for the different extension versions. My error.)
Thanks for the suggestion though. But, I have to say, Hit-a-Hint is working really well
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

deChat
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by deChat » 2024-03-28, 03:44

Soooo... I finally got around to installing PM in the Linux development environment on my Chromebook. And I'm in the process of installing extensions, including VimFx, which I had mentioned several times earlier in this thread.

But here's the weird thing... I didn't have on hand a copy of the version I modified to work with PM on my Windows system, so I just got a fresh copy of VimFx Version 0.5.17.1-signed from the CAA.... and to my great shock, IT WORKED WITHOUT MODIFICATION!

In retrospect, I shouldn't have been surprised. The version of PM I installed on my Chromebook today is v33.0.1, and VimFX Version 0.5.17.1-signed is compatible with Firefox 29.0 - 42.* :coffee:

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2024-03-30, 11:04

deChat wrote:
2024-03-28, 03:44
The version of PM I installed on my Chromebook today is v33.0.1, and VimFX Version 0.5.17.1-signed is compatible with Firefox 29.0 - 42.* :coffee:
Pale Moon is not Firefox, and that browser's version numbering has no bearing on this. Old abandoned Firefox extensions from CAA are hit and miss for working, that's all. At any rate you should first look at the Pale Moon addons site.