Sticky Password has abandoned Pale Moon

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

dfleiss
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Sticky Password has abandoned Pale Moon

Unread post by dfleiss » 2022-08-23, 21:25

Yesterday Sticky Password pushed out an update. After I installed the update, I found that Pale Moon is no longer supported by the Sticky Password browser add-in. When I went to their website, Pale Moon is no longer listed as a supported browser. :thumbdown:

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Sticky Password has abandoned Pale Moon

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2022-08-24, 00:00

Are you aware of the program manager KeePass? There are several 'auto form fill' plugins available for it, but I highly suspect that they will only work with chromified browsers. Its native Auto-Type and Global Auto Type features work fine with Pale Moon, and most probably with every browser out there. I also use the Pale Moon add on "Title Bar Customizer" because some sites caption the title of their login page only 'Login' or similar. This can be a problem when several different sites have the same page title.. There are 4 or 5 or so different add ons on the add ons site that appear to me to be similar to the one I use so it is probably not the only one that will work for that.

https://keepass.info/
https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/title-bar-customizer/
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Ziko577
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Ziko577 » 2022-08-24, 01:38

I want to go back to LastPass on Pale Moon but I can't find the 3.3.4. version to reinstall since I didn't back it up. I'm screwed now.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-24, 10:07

Very irresponsible to push an update to everyone when it breaks usage. Even if they stop supporting Pale Moon, they should at least not push an update to it. They may not have intended breakage though, so it's best to ask instead of assume.
Did you contact the extension author about this? Because I'm not sure if they actually visit this forum.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dfleiss
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by dfleiss » 2022-08-24, 13:44

Moonchild wrote:
2022-08-24, 10:07
Very irresponsible to push an update to everyone when it breaks usage. Even if they stop supporting Pale Moon, they should at least not push an update to it. They may not have intended breakage though, so it's best to ask instead of assume.
Did you contact the extension author about this? Because I'm not sure if they actually visit this forum.
Yes, I contacted the developer. I haven't heard back from them, but I'll post when (if) I do.

In the meantime, I found a copy of the installer for the last version that supported Pale Moon (build 8.4.4.920). I was able to install the older build over the newer build without any evident problems.

Galaxy
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Galaxy » 2022-08-24, 19:53

Off-topic:
Ziko577 wrote:
2022-08-24, 01:38
I want to go back to LastPass on Pale Moon but I can't find the 3.3.4. version to reinstall since I didn't back it up.
LastPass v3.3.4 is in the Classic Add-ons Archive 2.0.3. Go to https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/releases to install ca-archive-2.0.3.xpi. After you search for LastPass in the archive, you will see it in the search results as shown in the image below.
LastPass.jpg

Trippynet
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trippynet » 2022-08-25, 07:04

Same issue here unfortunately. Only noticed when my extension stopped working. I'm also disappointed (if this was deliberate) that there was nothing in the release notes for the latest version which indicated they were removing support for Pale Moon.

In the end I've done the same thing - downloaded the previous version, installed that, and it has started working again.

Anyway, if the removal of support is deliberate then that's a real pity. Their support for Pale Moon is one of the reasons I bought a subscription from them some time back.

dfleiss
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by dfleiss » 2022-08-25, 13:43

I heard back from Sticky Password support:
Dear customer,
Thank you for contacting Sticky Password customer service.
The Pale Moon browser uses the NPAPI interface for extensions and this interface is not supported by mainstream browsers, and we cannot support it in the future either.
If you want to use the Sticky Password extension in the Pale Moon browser, then you can uninstall the new version of the Sticky Password app and try installing the old version: 8.4.4.920.
You can download the old version of the Sticky Password app following the link:
https://downloads.stickypassword.com/fi ... 844920.exe
Best regards,
So they propose the "solution" that Trippynet and I are using.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-25, 14:31

Excuse me but NPAPI has nothing to do with extensions. NPAPI is the plugin (binary) interface. Extensions extend the browser in a XUL/JavaScript way.
Now while it is possible that they use a plugin in conjunction with an extensions (why...?) it's extremely unlikely of a scenario and this just feels like throwing gobbledygook at a user to make them go away instead of prividing an explanation... It would have been better to just say "we decided to no longer cater to niche browsers" or what not instead of tossing something like this out... If they are actually using a plugin, then discard my remark here.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Trippynet
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trippynet » 2022-08-25, 18:18

It seems to be a combination. In PaleMoon I have both an extension and a plugin for Sticky Password.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-08-25, 18:33

Really strange way to do it. as said, if that that's the case then ignore what I said.
They still shouldn't have pushed an update to Pale Moon users, though. But eh if they keep providing a usable version then there's no big issue.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2022-08-25, 21:21

As mentioned, use KeePass (or KeePassXC) with their in-built Auto-Type/Global Auto Type feature. No need for browser extensions. You can also import your Sticky Password passwords.

Sticky Password also only supported the 32-bit Pale Moon, probably because even after so many years they were too lazy to provide a 64-bit version of their plugin (yes, they used an extension/plugin combination). Good opportunity to switch to PM 64-bit, too!

Couperin
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Couperin » 2022-08-25, 22:06

Lastpass 4.1.67 add-on works fine with current Palemoon (albeit with an orange dot...) here.

Trapper
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trapper » 2022-08-26, 00:22

What a shitty underhanded way to do business. There is no mention of Pale Moon not being supported anymore in the 'What's New" and Release Notes sections nor anywhere else on their site. It also seems like they've deleted their forum which has been around for many, many years. It's nowhere to be found now.

The real knife in the heart though goes to those who either bought a yearly or lifetime subscription (like me).
Those subs aren't cheap. :evil: :evil:

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2022-08-26, 13:12

Off-topic:
Trapper wrote:
2022-08-26, 00:22
...lifetime subscription.
Sadly lifetime normally means 'their' lifetime, not yours :(

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2022-08-26, 23:18

“We have determined that an unauthorized party gained access to portions of the LastPass development environment through a single compromised developer account and took portions of source code and some proprietary LastPass technical information,” CEO Karim Toubba wrote in a letter to customers.
https://www.wvnstv.com/digital-desk/wor ... as-hacked/
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

frostknight
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by frostknight » 2022-10-03, 01:08

somdcomputerguy wrote:
2022-08-26, 23:18
“We have determined that an unauthorized party gained access to portions of the LastPass development environment through a single compromised developer account and took portions of source code and some proprietary LastPass technical information,” CEO Karim Toubba wrote in a letter to customers.
https://www.wvnstv.com/digital-desk/wor ... as-hacked/
Off-topic:
>>>proprietary

I went to the link and find:

>>> Our zero knowledge model ensures that only the customer has access to decrypt vault data

How is that not already disqualifying for users to read both of those on the same page...

This is one of those times I wonder why people still cannot grasp this very important concept:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_ ... _obscurity

smh...
Beyond that though, they are full of it of they think that just because modern browsers no longer support XUL, that they should too.

That is what is called:

The path of least resistance!

If you want some amusing sarcasm, look below:

Point being, the more people push this idea, the more the world will fall apart.

I mean its not like data centers aren't consuming so much water that it is actually causing climate change problems because no one will stand up to these corporate ghouls?

Oh wait...
Btw, there is more than just that out there, but not today.
If it isn't broken, don't fix, unless you are a corporation, because that's the only way you can make money to the point where you can dominate the world in a megalomaniac sociopathic way that no one really wants that also heavily destroys the environment via data collection and wasting water

SMH...

If you believe Jesus is your savior, don't support any fascists, otherwise you are deceiving yourself.

I however, do believe in him. Don't let your pride blind you, lest you wish to be greatly humbled unexpectedly, as this will hurt on an agonizing scale