Multirow Bookmarks Toolbar Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: Lootyhoof, FranklinDM

Bigo2
Moongazer
Moongazer
Posts: 12
Joined: 2018-01-16, 06:04

Multirow Bookmarks Toolbar

Unread post by Bigo2 » 2022-01-22, 02:16

Please, please help me!
I just updated form the 28.something version (64) to 29.4.4... My most favourite and necessary add-ons like the TabMix Plus work..., however, one of the my most important - the Multirow Bookmarks Toolbar (5.0.1) was disabled since it allegedly became incompatible.
I must be stupid because I think the Multirow Bookmarks add-on is absolutely essential - until now I thought that everybody love it.
I wonder why it does not work anymore, how come that the Pale Moon must be suddenly changed so radically that a perfectly good add-on suddenly became incompatible? And, isn't it actually other way around - that the Pale Moon became incompatible? Anyway...
Most importantly PLEASE: What can I do to get it back apart from reverting back to that older 28 something version of Pale Moon?
Is there any hope?
Thank you and regards
P.S. Why am I always scared to update?

User avatar
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner
Posts: 2728
Joined: 2012-06-28, 01:20

Re: Multirow Bookmarks Toolbar

Unread post by ron_1 » 2022-01-22, 02:57

Bigo2 wrote:
2022-01-22, 02:16
And, isn't it actually other way around - that the Pale Moon became incompatible?
Wrong! How can you expect an abandoned add-on to continue to work? It's up to the add-on devs to keep an add-on compatible with the browser. The other way around puts the cart before the horse. Have you looked at Pale Moon's add on site to see if there is anything similar?

https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/bookmarks-and-tabs/

Bigo2
Moongazer
Moongazer
Posts: 12
Joined: 2018-01-16, 06:04

Re: Multirow Bookmarks Toolbar

Unread post by Bigo2 » 2022-01-22, 04:27

ron_1 - thanks for your answer.
Actually I do expect it work - it was still working this morning before I updated, basically from version 28 to version 29.
I think you are wrong! The programmers should try hard improving their programs without endangering the users configuration or add-ons. MS Office 2005 still works with my latest windows 10 since I have the installation file and MS did not change anything fundamental... Or Calibre still works with 10 years old libraries...
Yes, I looked everywhere but I couldn't find anything similar - and this is not all - I lost other handy add-on - the Thumbnail Zoom Plus. This add-on automatically zooms a picture on a page when you put the cursor on it, e.g. those small listing pictures like Google images, eBay or YouTube listings etc. It is such a handy feature I don't understand how can any intelligent being live without it. Actually I believe these are the features which should be permanent part of any good browser.

User avatar
moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 3903
Joined: 2015-12-09, 15:45
Contact:

Re: Multirow Bookmarks Toolbar

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-01-22, 09:24

Bigo2 wrote:
2022-01-22, 04:27
MS Office 2005 still works with my latest windows 10 since I have the installation file and MS did not change anything fundamental...
You're comparing a browser run by a handful of developers to Microsoft, who own both Office and Windows and can be thus expected to make them work with each other? :wtf:
And that's before you consider that this is a web browser, which is forced to obey Google controlled web standards that are constantly changing often for no good reason.
Firefox drastically changed its UI by implementing Australis in version 29. Extensions from that era checked the browser version and changed their behavior accordingly, so no wonder they break on Pale Moon which doesn't support Australis. Nobody but the original developer (or someone else who really wants it to work and assuming the extension is under an open source license) can fix it or fork it. Or get the next older version of the extension that is not designed for FF 29.
Bigo2 wrote:
2022-01-22, 04:27
.
This add-on automatically zooms a picture on a page when you put the cursor on it
Closest you'll get is BIZARRE, supports zooming but not automatic.
Bigo2 wrote:
2022-01-22, 04:27
It is such a handy feature I don't understand how can any intelligent being live without it. Actually I believe these are the features which should be permanent part of any good browser.
No, they are not. If you ask 20 different people, you will get 20 different answers about other features that 'any intelligent being' can't live about, which is the whole goddamn point of having an extension system so that you can use whatever features are important to you and others can for what they consider important, without bloating the hell out of the browser core the way other browsers have to do.
If you take contemporary Firefox as an example, I have no use for the Pocket service and I don't watch videos that often so the picture in picture thing isn't something I care about but I have no choice but having those features built and deployed if I download Firefox (being able to disable Pocket doesn't deny the fact that it is still being pushed on those who don't want it).

Edit - forgot to add - they can integrate a proprietary service and force it on users, but they chose to get rid of support for the open standard RSS altogether (as opposed to just removing live bookmarks support) 'because nobody uses it',
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Image
Linux Mint 20.1 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

User avatar
Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 4670
Joined: 2011-10-03, 10:19
Location: Piney Woods of Southeast Texas, USA

Re: Multirow Bookmarks Toolbar

Unread post by Night Wing » 2022-01-22, 11:23

Bigo2 wrote:
2022-01-22, 02:16
I just updated form the 28.something version (64) to 29.4.4... My most favourite and necessary add-ons like the TabMix Plus work..., however, one of the my most important - the Multirow Bookmarks Toolbar (5.0.1) was disabled since it allegedly became incompatible.
I must be stupid because I think the Multirow Bookmarks add-on is absolutely essential - until now I thought that everybody love it.

P.S. Why am I always scared to update?
I have never used multirow toolbars for bookmarks because the take away my vertical viewing space. I don't see why anyone would love to see "less" vertical viewing area on their external monitor when using a desktop computer or laptop screen.

As for why are you scared to update? It seems to me you value a few addons more than you value the browser. If that is the case, then you need to quit using Pale Moon and start using a different browser whose addons work in that browser.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Una) Xfce 64 Bit with 64 Bit linux Pale Moon

Bigo2
Moongazer
Moongazer
Posts: 12
Joined: 2018-01-16, 06:04

Re: Multirow Bookmarks Toolbar

Unread post by Bigo2 » 2022-01-22, 21:18

Thanks Night Wing - you are correct the multirow would take away the vertical viewing space, that's for sure - if the monitor is in normal common Landscape mode. That would be wide enough for most of users to have the default 1 row anyway - but I have forgotten to explain that already for ages I am using my monitor in the Portrait mode...

For my "problem" with the incompatible add-ons I have found the solution:
Googling I have found the page https://www.ghacks.net/2021/04/28/pale- ... ot-ported/ and from there I proceeded to https://github.com/JustOff/moon-tester-tool/releases, and form there I downloaded and installed the moon-tester-tool-2.1.4.xpi which allowed me to install those incompatible add-ons and they started to work as before...
Sorry that you guys did not know about this simple solution - you could have told me in the first place...

I valuate my browser exactly because of the possibilities to modify it using the add-ons I like.
I did not know about that the Pale Moon since 29.2.0 changed the browser's extension compatibility in a major way, as it removed support for legacy Firefox extensions... Why you did it, I don't know but THAT change made me scared to update. Now it is OK.
Thanks all and Regards

Post Reply