What happened to Dismiss The Overlay add-on?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

disconect

What happened to Dismiss The Overlay add-on?

Unread post by disconect » 2021-12-03, 04:05

I was looking at my add-ons, and I saw that I had an add-on called Dismiss The Overlay 1.0.3 still installed, but disabled. I remembered that I really liked what the add-on did, but had disabled it because I thought it was misbehaving, and then apparently forgotten about it. I do not see it in the list of Pale Moon add-ons any longer, and that is the only place from which I have ever installed add-ons. The link from my installed add-ons screen shows that the add-on is now up to version 1.0.7 on the project's github page. Does anyone have any idea why it is no longer listed? Was it removed because my suspicions about its misbehavior were correct, or did the author choose to remove it? If it's a XUL add-on I can't imagine there are that many other places for them to list it. I'm just curious, I guess, and maybe kind of am interested in upgrading to the newer version.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: What happened to Dismiss The Overlay add-on?

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-12-03, 05:16

Dismiss The Overlay is currently installed and updated directly from GitHub.
It was the developer's decision.

disconect

Unread post by disconect » 2021-12-03, 18:00

coffeebreak wrote:
2021-12-03, 05:16
It was the developer's decision.
Thank you for the information, and the link to that thread. I've only read the first page so far, and clicked on that user's profile to see that he's now banned and is responsible for nearly 1% of all posts in this forum (which is a lot). This looks like quite a bit of drama of which I was unaware, and unfortunately have neither the time nor the popcorn to fully investigate at the moment, but will perhaps read that whole thread and maybe look into the backstory later this weekend.

But from what I've gathered from that first page, that user had 25 (!) extensions on our add-ons site and became mad that he wasn't allowed to advertise his other add-ons in the listing for each individual add-on, so he decided to permanently leave. That is sad and disappointing. There are a lot of references to the drama that had been building over the previous couple years, so I might have to do some digging to fully get the context of the situation (or just decide it doesn't matter, we'll see what my mood is).

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-12-03, 18:21

Try reading the entire thread and the thread before it and the subsequent threads before you make snap judgements.

disconect

Unread post by disconect » 2021-12-03, 18:34

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-12-03, 18:21
Try reading the entire thread and the thread before it and the subsequent threads before you make snap judgements.
Well, yeah. I don't think I made any snap judgments, at least not yet. I did post my impressions based on only the first page of that one thread, but specified that that was all I'd read. I also said it sounded interesting so I might read the rest of the thread later, as well as research the backstory. Now you're making me more curious, so I will change that "maybe" to a "definitely" and will look into this further when I have time, perhaps on Sunday.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2021-12-03, 19:17

That extension has been updated. It is now at version 1.0.7.