I want to disable "switch to tab." Older thread on subject is outdated, no solution.

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

PhotoBoothe

I want to disable "switch to tab." Older thread on subject is outdated, no solution.

Unread post by PhotoBoothe » 2021-06-23, 20:48

I despise "switch to tab," I wish to totally / permanently DISABLE that so called feature. A forum search led me to a thread from 2015, however the only good option listed there is the "Switch to tab no more" add on, which appears to be longer available!
I had that "Switch to tab no more" add on on my previous computer, but now that I'm working with a new PM installation on another computer, and that add on is no longer available(?) I need another solution, PLEASE.
Thank you!
The olllld forum:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10186&p=70341&hilit ... tab#p70341

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: I want to disable "switch to tab." Older thread on subject is outdated, no solution.

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-06-23, 23:15

I read a good bit of that previous thread, but I still can't find out exactly what switch-to-tab is, and if I've ever experienced it.

What feature are you trying to disable exactly? Can you describe it?

Edit: Okay I read some more and I understand the behavior now. I agree, that would annoy the crap out of me. However, my browser does not do that. Most likely because I turn EVERYTHING fancy about the location bar off. I'm sure we can find a setting that will work for you. But first...

Did the solution in this post not work for you? viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10186&p=70341&hilit ... tab#p70439

Edit 2: I found the settings I use to avoid any dynamic behavior from the location bar. One of these might be of help as well. Unless the location bar is not part of your problem...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15484&p=112065#p112065

Edit 3: This one in particular might do the trick: browser.urlbar.suggest.openpage

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: I want to disable "switch to tab." Older thread on subject is outdated, no solution.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-24, 00:45

*sigh* Don't ANY of you people ever check the preferences window?

Go check out preferences -> privacy -> tab "Location bar"
Specifically, uncheck "Open Tabs" if you don't want the "switch to tab" entries suggested when you type.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-24, 01:22

You know.. There is plenty of room in the Privacy prefpane (at the expanded height from Content or Advanced) you might consider collapsing the three tabs into just one page with three groupboxes. Perhaps that would make it more user facing. Wouldn't even require string changes.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-24, 01:31

I planned to redo the whole history thing already, just didn't get around to it. if nothing else i want to get rid of this stupid-mode drop-down that hides options. Without redoing that putting the other options in one pane with them would just take too much space.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-24, 02:08

If you get rid of the mode you will have to grey out the controls individually for two of the settings. Also even WITH all the controls there is enough vertical height when compared with the expanded height of Content or Advanced, as I said.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-24, 02:10

With group boxes around everything? No, i don't think so.

PhotoBoothe

Any landing you can walk away from...

Unread post by PhotoBoothe » 2021-06-24, 02:37

Thank you for the feedback. Moonchild, thank you for the fix.
In regards to not having previously found that in the preferences, I did what most people do nowadays - I started with an internet search for solutions. Well, after searching the Pale Moon forum. Most of the results referred to that former add on, which was an effective solution, alas no longer available.
Preferences are great - IF we know which subsection of which section to go to...!! I.E., I would not have thought of disabling that function as a "PRIVACY" issue, even though that is what those location bar options are under.
Please be patient with us mere mortals.
Thank you BenFenner and New Tobin Paradigm as well!
Last edited by PhotoBoothe on 2021-06-24, 03:04, edited 3 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-24, 02:45

Moonchild wrote:
2021-06-24, 02:10
With group boxes around everything? No, i don't think so.
... Group boxes would contain what the tabs currently contain.. History, Tracking, Location Bar.

If you leave the fuctionality in place with the drop down but remove the flex from the hbox then MOST of the time the height wouldn't exceed the General prefpane. Only with custom would it expand to about the height of the Content or Advaned prefpanes.

Frankly, in your current Preferences window layout and general design I am not sure why you want to show a bunch of disabled controls for two out of the three modes anyway and have to re-code it for that style you are suggesting.

But even if you do I don't see it as being too tall in any event.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-06-24, 06:25

Content isn't quite big enough for all three to fit, but Advanced > General is.
privacymockup.png

Maybe if the Learn More link under Tracking is on the right instead of below, it'll fit a bit better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-24, 10:10

The Location tick boxes could go horizontal as well. It was an estimation based on mental projection though.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-24, 13:53

I'm sure I'll figure something out.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-06-24, 14:01

Moonchild wrote:
2021-06-24, 00:45
*sigh* Don't ANY of you people ever check the preferences window?
I certainly do.

The informative post I linked to of mine has this at the end:
[These about:config settings] should be done in addition to the obvious things in the UI settings, like disabling search from the location bar, etc.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-24, 14:56

A user should NOT have to use about:config unless there is no GUI control for a preference and even THEN there MIGHT be a DAMN GOOD reason why there isn't one.

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2021-06-24, 16:18

I agree 100% Tobin, but was anyone saying otherwise?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-24, 16:26

Strongly implying at the very least.