Are Jetpack-based extensions on the chopping block?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

[PCMartin]

Are Jetpack-based extensions on the chopping block?

Unread post by [PCMartin] » 2021-05-12, 16:37

In the medium or long term? I didn't systematically look for Jetpack indicators in my currently installed extensions, but I did happen to notice that both Scroll To Top and Toggle Bookmarks still work in Pale Moon 29.2.0 and that both contain a package.json file. Are these extensions definitely going to require a substantive rewrite at some point in the future?

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Are Jetpack-based extensions on the chopping block?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-12, 18:43

[PCMartin]

Unread post by [PCMartin] » 2021-05-12, 22:31

For the record, I did search the forums before posting, but perhaps not well enough, because I didn't come across that particular thread.
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-02-23, 20:20
NOTE: This will not affect the current application support or lack there of in Pale Moon and Basilisk nor will it prevent already established extensions on the site from continuing as normal.
I take it this means the answer to my questions is "no."

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-05-13, 00:02

Ask again when and if DevTools become Jetpack free and since that is years away or never.. Don't worry too much about it.

Still doesn't mean that they are good prospects for sustainable forks OR teach you anything about anything. For all intents and purposes and in retrospect it is effectively proto-webextensions.. Just Mozilla failed to get anyone to make it a standard outside them selves. Just another tickbox on the 2010s Mozilla list of pointless failures. That we happen to be stuck with for a good while.

[PCMartin]

Unread post by [PCMartin] » 2021-05-13, 00:31

@New Tobin Paradigm: Thanks; I appreciate the clarification.