RecordRewind - save/search for current page on archive.today

General discussion, compatibility and contributed extensions.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

moonbat
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

RecordRewind - save/search for current page on archive.today

Post by moonbat » 2020-07-30, 08:48

Just created this extension, it adds a toolbar button to do as described in the subject('rewind' to get a snapshot, 'record' to create one :mrgreen: ). Archive.today (also known as archive.is) is a site for saving snapshots of webpages for future use in case they are lost. Get it from here once it's up.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 20 Xfce x64 on HP i5 laptop with 12 GB RAM, always latest versions of PM & Basilisk unless specified.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Re: RecordRewind - save/search for current page on archive.today

Post by FranklinDM » 2020-07-30, 09:42

Reviewed and now live, no problems so far.

Suggestion: option to include other snapshot sources (such as IA/Archive.org), and opening in a new tab/current tab/new window (probably in the toolbar button's drop-down menu). Consider removing the rule which reduces the opacity of the extension's toolbar button when it's disabled [1, 2], the browser theme already handles this.
Last edited by FranklinDM on 2020-07-30, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.

moonbat
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by moonbat » 2020-07-30, 10:04

All planned :D
I wanted to put it out and then incrementally improve.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 20 Xfce x64 on HP i5 laptop with 12 GB RAM, always latest versions of PM & Basilisk unless specified.

PlasmaFlare
New to the forum
New to the forum

Post by PlasmaFlare » 2020-07-31, 15:20

Nice! Is it possible to have it archive / find with only one click? I know you said you will improve the extension, but does archive.is even make that possible?

Thanks for your work.

moonbat
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by moonbat » 2020-08-01, 02:40

That is up to the site - it could be possible in theory to intercept the page they supply, hide it and only show the final result, but would become too dependent on their code. Any change on their end would break it. I've seen too many site specific legacy extensions that don't work anymore due to being tightly coupled to the site in question.
Besides I'm trying to make it support other archival sites too, so it's best to just open it in a tab and let each site do it in their own way since there is no standardized way to do it.

PlasmaFlare
New to the forum
New to the forum

Post by PlasmaFlare » 2020-08-01, 10:23

moonbat wrote:
2020-08-01, 02:40
That is up to the site - it could be possible in theory to intercept the page they supply, hide it and only show the final result, but would become too dependent on their code. Any change on their end would break it. I've seen too many site specific legacy extensions that don't work anymore due to being tightly coupled to the site in question.
Besides I'm trying to make it support other archival sites too, so it's best to just open it in a tab and let each site do it in their own way since there is no standardized way to do it.
I think I sounded a false alarm, sorry. Just needed to enable JavaScript in eMatrix for archive.vn.

What do you think about including a way to archive all links in a page?

moonbat
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by moonbat » 2020-08-01, 10:44

You'd end up opening a new tab for each link, not a good idea. Since it's not as straightforward as simply downloading a file, and you can't know in advance whether a link has already been archived before (it will redirect to the saved version and ask you if the snapshot needs to be updated).

moonbat
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by moonbat » 2020-08-01, 10:51

Turns out that Archive.is and .org both support a standard called Memento, as do several other sites. Let me read up about it - if I can get the extension to work using that, then it will be truly general and will support any site that uses it.

Andrew Herbert
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Andrew Herbert » 2020-08-02, 01:21

Why not a fork of an existing extension such as Archiveror or Resurrect Pages?

moonbat
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by moonbat » 2020-08-02, 02:12

Hadn't heard of those - this one does both.

moonbat
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by moonbat » 2020-08-07, 02:47

Changelog for 1.4
  • Support archive.org for both search/snapshot.
  • Support Archive-It and Trove for search.
  • Add preferences for default seach/snapshot use, logging & new tab for results.