VPN

General discussion, compatibility and contributed extensions.

Moderators: satrow, FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

alex31
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

VPN

Unread postby alex31 » Thu, 06 Dec 2018, 17:58

Palemoon's extension list is increasing and has many fine and useful add-ons now. Moonchild, please, I know your viewpoint about this, but still, allow add-ons like Browsec vpn to be used in Palemoon and let users choose do they want it or not.

NotWorthKnowing
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: VPN

Unread postby NotWorthKnowing » Thu, 06 Dec 2018, 20:19

I have older version of Windscribe extension in Basilisk, but no go with PM. If I didn't have any other option I'd try to make it work in PM but it's easier to use another browser. It's funny (irony, not comedy) that the real OpenVPN client/server software that is used by many VPN apps is available for free but you still need a paid account to use it AFAIK. Haven't tried any other VPN extensions with Gecko or UXP but the old proxy extensions I tried years ago were awful.
Win10ho 64 1709 4GBram AMD A6 :: Pale Moon 28.2.0 Po :coffee:++

alex31
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread postby alex31 » Thu, 06 Dec 2018, 20:43

NotWorthKnowing wrote:I have older version of Windscribe extension in Basilisk, but no go with PM. If I didn't have any other option I'd try to make it work in PM but it's easier to use another browser. It's funny (irony, not comedy) that the real OpenVPN client/server software that is used by many VPN apps is available for free but you still need a paid account to use it AFAIK. Haven't tried any other VPN extensions with Gecko or UXP but the old proxy extensions I tried years ago were awful.

I also using it with another browser but wanted to make PM my main browser for security and privacy requirements, don't know if Basilisk is like PM disabled many tracking links/features, also maybe it's heavy for resources.

Isengrim
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread postby Isengrim » Thu, 06 Dec 2018, 20:57

alex31 wrote:allow add-ons like Browsec vpn to be used in Palemoon and let users choose do they want it or not.

I cannot speak for Moonchild or the add-ons team, but I'm almost certain that VPN extensions for Pale Moon are already allowed. They are simply discouraged for several (legitimate) reasons. Also, since few (if any?) VPN vendors have made add-ons properly compatible with Pale Moon, it is difficult for anyone other than the vendor to properly support them on Pale Moon.
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon (64-bit)
Windows 7 (64-bit) (Sometimes)
Windows 10 build 1803 (64-bit) (Sometimes)
We are our choices.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby Moonchild » Thu, 06 Dec 2018, 21:48

My personal viewpoints on this have no bearing on what is allowed or not.
It's your own choice to extend your browser with misnomer extensions that give you a false impression of what is happening, if that's what you want :) -- Your browser, Your way™

That said, as Ascrod pointed out, especially with service extensions (extensions that provide tight interaction with service providers like "VPN" *cough*proxy*cough*) only the vendors of these services and extensions can provide compatibility. Considering most of these will be focusing on Chrome and WebExtensions, it's likely they are not willing to invest time into a XUL-based extension for the same. As such, if you don't see any on our extension site, it's likely because they simply aren't available -- and not because we have any sort of ban on them, or whatever you seem to be thinking.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

alex31
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread postby alex31 » Thu, 06 Dec 2018, 22:40

I understand, thanks.

Return to “Browser extensions”