Substitute Privacy Extension?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Inquiring

Substitute Privacy Extension?

Unread post by Inquiring » 2018-05-24, 22:21

Priv3+ and Better Privacy, which I substituted for Ghostery a while back, no longer work. Is there an extension for PM that blocks tracking?

Also, QuickJS, a toolbar button that disables Javascript, no longer works. Is there a substitute for that?

I looked at the Known Incompatible Add-Ons page and don't see these there, in any category.

Thanks.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Substitute Privacy Extension?

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-05-25, 01:23

BetterPrivacy 1.77 still works fine for me. You'll have to download it cause it want install otherwise.
https://github.com/xtraeme-xt/BetterPrivacy/releases
Strange name though: d40f5e7b-d2cf-4856-b441-cc613eeffbe3.xpi. Rename it to BetterPrivacy 1.77

I'm using JS Switch To toggle JS but it has been pulled from AMO.
Here's a button to toggle JS:
https://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/b ... pt-toggle/

As for the other I aint got a clue.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-25, 02:33

How are you able to use that version? :think: Even with Moon tester tool it won't install,
saying it is incompatible with PM 27.9.2

I am still using BetterPrivacy 1.68 and it works fine.

Inquiring

Unread post by Inquiring » 2018-05-25, 03:11

Thanks. Actually, I thought BetterPrivacy was to prevent tracking, but I found the control panel, and it's just for LSO's/SuperCookies. Apparently it's still working.

I emailed one of the authors of Priv3+ to see if they're still maintaining it and will post here when I receive a reply.

I also looked up Ghostery, which is available for download from their site (ghostery.com). There have been concerns in the past that they sell collected data to the advertisers they block, but coincidentally, they're introducing new protections as of the implementation date of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), tomorrow. They describe the effects of this on their blog, including the following:
  • We added an easy way in our Privacy Policy to opt out of Piwik, a basic site analytics tracker on our website. While we never share this data with third parties, we believe it is important for users to have full control nonetheless. We are also currently working on an opt-out banner (not required by the regulation).
  • We implemented a feature on users’ account pages that allows users to export and view all data associated with their Ghostery account if they have one, including personal info (name and email) as well as settings (blocking preferences, trusted/restricted sites, etc.).
  • We provide an account deletion feature to completely and permanently expunge account data without the option of recovery.
So I think I'll give them another try.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-05-25, 12:20

Thehandyman1957 wrote:How are you able to use that version? :think: Even with Moon tester tool it won't install,
saying it is incompatible with PM 27.9.2

I am still using BetterPrivacy 1.68 and it works fine.
You have to change em:minVersion="49.0" to
em:minVersion="27.0" in the "install.rdf" file
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-25, 17:34

Well I followed your instructions and changed the min version to 27. I then re zipped it and changed
the extension to .xpi but I get this error. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Screenshot - 5_25_2018 , 10_33_21 AM.png
Never mind, I figured it out. Seems it needs to be zipped under regular .zip instead of 7z.
Worked perfectly.. Thank you. :thumbup: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Thehandyman1957 on 2018-05-25, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-05-25, 17:46

Yes 7z uses a different compression format.

If your using 7zip just select all in the folder and select add to archive. Change the extension to xpi and save.
It will be created in the same folder.
Last edited by billmcct on 2018-05-25, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy Lasorda

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-05-25, 19:40

billmcct wrote:Yes 7z uses a different compression format.

If your using 7zip just select all in the folder and select add to archive. Change the extension to xpi and save.
It will be created in the same folder.
Yup, that's what I did, but it was easier to send it to a new folder. Thanks for your help. :mrgreen:

Inquiring

Unread post by Inquiring » 2018-05-26, 04:02

I didn't receive a reply from the Priv3+ developer, and I can't tell if it's still working (I don't see any indication of trackers being blocked, and the menu options don't seem to work), so I'm going to switch to Ghostery or Disconnect (available from disconnect.me), which has some slight differences and perhaps not as extensive a database (according to a 4-year-old review on Reddit by a Ghostery developer). Also, Disconnect is open source.

Other options are Targeted Advertising Cookie Opt-Out (Taco), DoNotTrackMe (DNTMe), and PrivacyBadger.

UPDATE: Ghostery and TACO won't install on the current version of PM (doesn't support WebExtensions), and the Disconnect install link forwards to the Mozilla add-ons page, which no longer exists. DNTM requires registration (name, email, and password), and since I didn't do that, I don't know if it will install or not.

The Known Incompatible Add-Ons page says about PrivacyBadger, "Problematic add-on, use uBlock Origin instead." However, the latter also won't install because the current version doesn't support WebExtensions.

PM developers, can you recommend a tracker blocker?
Last edited by Inquiring on 2018-05-26, 05:08, edited 4 times in total.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-05-26, 06:36

Inquiring wrote:PM developers, can you recommend a tracker blocker?
Didn't they recommend uBlock Origin as you stated in your post yourself?

Yes, it may not install because the default version given for download is a WebExtension. What you need for Pale Moon is "legacy" version. Don't be fooled by "legacy", it works perfectly without issues (I do not use it myself). There is a lot of information about "how to install uBlock Origin" on this forum. Please use search and help yourself.

Wise is the man who can answer his own questions.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-05-26, 11:05

You can get ublock here: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/
You'll also need this for automatic updates: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/ublock0-updater/

You need to right click the firefox xpi and select "save link as" to download. Just drag the file into a PM page to install.

Bill
Last edited by billmcct on 2018-05-26, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy Lasorda

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2018-05-26, 12:09

billmcct wrote:You can get ublock here: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/
Just to avoid any further confusion..
On that page, you need to scroll down and locate the latest legacy build, already mentioned by adesh.
The file is called uBlock0.firefox-legacy.xpi.
If you haven't changed Pale Moon's default method of handling those type of files, left-clicking on it should be enough.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2018-05-26, 13:27

Tomaso is correct you need this one
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/relea ... acy-1.16.4
Tommy Lasorda

Inquiring

Unread post by Inquiring » 2018-05-27, 01:48

bill mcct and Tomaso, thanks--the legacy version did load. However, I assume I wouldn't want the updater with it, since it would update it to a version that doesn't work with the current PM?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-05-27, 02:00

Inquiring wrote: However, I assume I wouldn't want the updater with it, since it would update it to a version that doesn't work with the current PM?

No, just the opposite. It will only update you to another, newer xul ("legacy") version.
From its landing page, emphasis added:
uBlock Origin Updater wrote:It intercepts Add-ons Manager requests and returns the latest release version compatible with Pale Moon.